Battle of the SE! GEM Micromatic or Ever-Ready?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Aug 24, 2019.

?

Battle of the SE! GEM Micromatic or Ever-Ready?

Poll closed Sep 24, 2019.
  1. GEM Micromatic

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Ever Ready

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. What? Buddy you better get this 'other' vinatge SE and it's ________

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey,

I am considering buying a cheap vintage SE razor. The two I'm looking at are the GEM Mircomatic and Ever-Ready. I have zero experience with these types of razors. Which one should I get?

Jorvaljr and Terry like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Depending on the Ever-Ready model, it could be a tough choice.
    I'm at a loss to go pros and cons without knowing that variable.
    If you need anyt more opinions, head across the street, we have lots of lovers of both.

Terry likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Also on the Micromatic, are you considering the open comb or the closed comb? I'm assuming the closed comb, Clog Pruf razor.

Terry likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well Tim, that depends on you. I like both with my preference towards an open comb Micromatic. But I use (read love) nice efficient razors, some call them agressive. Now some Ever Ready razors are kittens, most are on the efficient side.
    If you like a Gillette super speed, try out a GEM push button, Superlite or a maybe a GEM GBar. I use a Fatboy or Slim on 9 with a new Feather blade. If thats your style, try out a GEM Open Comb Micromatic. Remember that most SE's have some differences, most are just not as forgiving as say a Super Speed. If you get one just take your time and be especially careful of any pressure you might get away with on some DE's.
    I think they're all great, but that's me.
    good luck!
    tp

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Like the pup
    nice
    tp

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree that a Pushbutton or G-Bar would be a good choice. For me, they both shave about the same, with the exception that the G-Bar is heavier and maybe a better feel to it.

Terry likes this.
  7. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Honestly my fave is the gem 1914 “shovel head”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ordinaryshaver and Terry like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I got 2 of those, love em. But I'm not sure that's the first SE I would try out.
    Tell ya the truth, Razorock makes a great Blackhawk V2 that shaves like a dream. The blades are pricey though.
    tp

BambulanceMan likes this.
  9. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

The one blade core might be a good choice.

Medic, Coffee nerd, Otaku, Fisherman.

10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Tim I have a variety if you are looking to buy. I’ll throw in some blades.

11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I like all Gems and to me a person learning a Gem might consider a Micromatic Flying wing or Gem jr 1912 they are not as aggressive as a MMOC and you will enjoy it more until you dial in your technique(if you have a course beard a MMOC could be a better choice?). Nothing wrong with the MMOC (I have 3 of them) to start off with but you might get a few nicks more on that one. Everready 1912 would be a good choice because any 1912 are one of my favorites(The 1912 models under the A.S.R umbrella of company's sold in the millions) . Good luck, Make sure the razor has good blade stops regardless what model you choose!
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    terstation likes this.
  12. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

PM me with pictures of what you have and what you recommend.

13. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I prefer the GEM PTFE blades regardless of the model.