Baxter of California 3 piece razor??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by 178-bplatoon, Oct 16, 2014.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I saw this razor on amazon for $60 w/free shipping. The vendor is Baxter of California. The razor is supposed to be made in Germany. It does look rather Merkurish to me. I'm trying to find some detail about it length of handle, shave head and handle material, over all quality, shave quality, is it aggressive or mild?
    Has any Den member heard of, or tried this razor and what is your opinion of it? Thanks for any help...:)

[EDIT]:My bad I ment Muhleish sorry :(

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Is it this?

[​IMG]

If it is, it looks more like a Mühle.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  3. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Yeah the handle looks Muhle like

4. Technium

Technium Active Member

I was thinking about buying that Baxter, which is available over on B&B BST at $45. I was considering grabbing it because in the photos over there it looked like the knurling was deeper (hoping for a tad grippier and less shiny) than on my Muhle r89. But doing some reading I found that several people said that it was actually identical to the Muhle r89 and is very likely manufactured by Muhle with the only difference being that it says Baxter on the band at the bottom rather than Muhle. My take is after looking at mine with some magnification is that the knurling is the same depth, but a different pattern, and the razor is identical aside from those two factors. I would grab it myself if I had some way of knowing if difference in pattern makes the Baxter less glittery and jewelry like (my subjective aesthetic preference), but pics don't capture the tiny guilloche well, and without video, there's no way to know what it looks like as the light hits it. No matter your aesthetic tastes it is top notch fit and finish...I think impressively so for the price (used especially).

As far as the OP's question. It is the r89 head found on several Edwin Jaggers and on at least that Muhle. Most consider it moderate in terms aggressiveness and is well regarded by many. With my hyper sensitive skin it is as far as I go aggressiveness wise, though many with normal skin and thicker beards see it as a tad on the mild side. As far as blade gap it is in the middle. Scroll down for blade gap chart. Let us know what you decide. And if you (or someone else that reads this) get(s) it. I'd be grateful to hear your impression on the shiny factor.

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You're welcome!