Bay Rum "families"

Discussion in 'Scents' started by gorgo2, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

I thought the main reason they started using Denatured alcohol was to avoid the liquor taxes. At least, I think I read that somewhere.

2. hornm

hornm New Member

I've liked all the one's I've tried thus far.

Capt Smiths
    Ogalalla (both the regular & the limes and peppercorn)
    Royall
    Gabel's
    and Honey Bee Gardens, this one is actually an aftershave conditioning lotion yada, yada, whatever

Michael

3. grandpa shaver

grandpa shaver New Member

If I were a purist, I would boil bay leaves from an real bay tree in rum and filter it. Then I will know it is real. I'm not a purist and like almost anything labeled bay rum. (For some reason I didn't like the samples of Ogalala that I tried.)

4. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Boiling leaves is exactly how the essential oil is made, but in Maine I'm having a difficult time finding Pimenta Racemosa to get leaves to boil down. So I guess I'm screwed before I even start. I'll hire it done for me, where it grows they need the jobs.

Yes, denatured alcohol dodges the ATF, but if it ain't rum it ain't bay rum. At least in my mind. I denature it with Bitrex, but they need to give it their stamp of approval.

Actually, paying the tax isn't the problem. ATF thinks they own the product even after the tax is paid, that's the problem. I'm willing to forego the return of the tax I pay on the booze just to keep them out of my business, but they don't see it that way.

Paul Turner likes this.
  5. grandpa shaver

I get bags of nice bay leaves from penziesspices.com.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is not taxed because it is not for human gastric consumption. The use of Denatured alcohol to allow fragrance along with other manufacturers to make products with an ethanol-containing solution that is not suitable for drinking, but is otherwise similar to ethanol for most purposes. As a result there is no duty on denatured alcohol in most countries, making it considerably cheaper than pure ethanol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

7. grandpa shaver

Denatured alcohol that I have purchased for shellac thinner has a didtinct sweet odor. I doubt it could be used for fragrance dilution.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is only a limited class of Denatured alcohol that can be used for fragrances. SD stands for "specially denatured" and is used in many products.
    Examples: Aqua Velva has as its first ingredient SD Alcohol 40 which is one of these types of Denatured alcohol. Jovan Musk the first ingredient is Denatured alcohol.

9. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! There is a special "perfumers" alcohol that is used in after shave lotions and colognes. It is denatured and can be bought in almost any amount. Always, Gene

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's Alive! It's Alive!

The return of a dead thread!

Looking to get some nice Bay Rum with out smelling like a Christmas ham (Clove). I'll look in to Masters, Stephens, Gables and Superior 70, but was wondering and other recommendations.

So describe away you favorite Bay Rums.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Paul Turner likes this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Ogallala Bay Rum
    St. John’s Bay Rum

Enrico likes this.
  12. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I have only tried a few, but Captain's Choice was by far the one that smelled the least 'spicey". What I mean is, I smelled nothing but the wonderful herbal smell of fresh picked leaves.
    The other bay rums that I have tried, Pinaud VIBR, Ogalalla, Kramperts, and Stirling, were great, nothing wrong with them, but I detected other scents that gave them a certain level of complexity, (Stirling being my favorite).
    So, to sum it up, my suggestion for a simple Bay Rum would be Captain's Choice.

Col C, Enrico and Paul Turner like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Is that you doing those Duluth Trading ads(Ogallalla)? :D

Enrico and mrchick like this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I also favor the pinaud virgin island bay rum

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Derby City Chop Shop's Small Batch Shave Tonic Winter Reserve. It's not even properly a bay "rum." They make it from Kentucky Bourbon.

Ingredients: alcohol, witch hazel, glycerin, Kentucky Bourbon, pimenta racemosa leaves, cinnamon, cloves, blood orange zest, vanilla, rosewood, allspice, rosewater, and vetiver.

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

At $36 for 7.5 ounces (price + shipping and handling) ouch. I was seriously looking at it last year, but I'll tell you a secret ... I'm cheap. I'd probably change my tune once I smelled it.

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I bought two bottles to cut down on shipping costs. One bottle lasts a good six months to a year, so it didn't hurt too bad.

Enrico likes this.
  18. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Bay Rum is my favorite scent. Captain's Choice is probably my favorite as others have mentioned above. Captain's Choice has recently released their Cat O'Nine Tails Bay Rum which is a bit stronger scent and has Witch Hazel added for a bit of warmth.

Paul Turner likes this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Clovish: Dominica, Meehan
    Non-clovish: C. O. Bigelow No. 32

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Has anyone tried the Booster Island Bay Rum? How is it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Redfisher and Paul Turner like this.