Bay Rum recommendations

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by tommyboy923, Mar 25, 2013.

1. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Can't say, as I have never tried these. Perhaps others who have will chime in.

2. Dr.Awkward

Dr.Awkward New Member

I'm gonna go ahead and declare Ogallala as a clove bomb! I personally love the clove note in a Bay Rum. The other Ogallala scents can be great: Sandalwood Bay Rum is a personal favorite. My shave buddy dislikes bay rums in general, but likes Ogallala Lime & Peppercorns. All of these have prominent clove notes.

In comparison, Captain's Choice contains NO clove! It's very bay-forward.
    I can't quite say just what does it, but the smell of Captain's Choice evokes something from my early childhood. "Briny" is the adjective that comes to mind. "Wow, too masculine," is one comment I've gotten from a friend who -unlike me- prefers subtle scents. Quite different than the Ogallala offerings, though neither are subtle. It's an entirely different sort of perfection.

Post-shave burn first seemed greater with the Captain's, but then Ogallala seemed to overtake it, so I'd rank them about equal in that respect.

Hope this help on your Bay Rum journey!

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Krampert's Finest definitely falls into the non-clovey category. It is the best bay rum I have ever used, both in terms of scent and skincare. In fact, it is the best aftershave I have ever used. Another non-clovey bay rum is Dominica Bay Rum. Dominica has been around since the hogs ate my kid brother, which was many, many years before the current wetshaving revival began.

In case it matters, many chicks seem to dislike clove scents. If you want the women to beat a path to your door, Krampert's and Dominica are pretty safe bets. Some bay rums are heavily clove scented and will make the fair sex vamoose like a turbocharged Speedy Gonzales.

The Five Bay Rum Lotions Reviewed article might also be of interest.

CarlfromMO likes this.
  4. Littlemax

Littlemax Member

I am a fan of Pinaud VIBR.

Hodge and srpavko like this.
  5. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

All I've tried is Pinaud and I like it.

6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    <-------- Is a Bay Rum Fanatic there are only a few I haven't tried :D

Scent wise I break them into two groups

Cowboy Style = A heavier Clove and Cinnamon presence..

Island Style = A lighter scent with more pronounced Bay Oil scent

There are three types when it come to general make up also

1. Alcohol and Scents

2. Alcohol , Scents perhaps EO and some type of skin conditioning additives

3. Made with actual Rum and Bay Oil

These seem to be the general types out there

Best ???? Who knows, Who cares, my objective is to get every one of them I can :p I just ran to the den to count hehehe 26 as of this point in time..
    My most prized one is the Pusser's Bay Rum mostly because it is discontinued and I can't find more YET !!!!

45auto, 178-bplatoon and bittermormon like this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    List so far

1. Royall Bay Rhum
    2. Dominica
    3. Ogalalla Bay Rum
    4. Ogalalla Limes & Peppercorn Bay Rum
    5. Ogalalla Sandalwood Bay Rum
    6. Ogalalla Ceadar & Sage Bay Rum
    7. Pusser's
    8. TOBS
    9. Pinuad
    10. Capt's Choice
    11. Sensuous Beauty (SB for Men)
    12. Krampert's
    13. Gabel's
    14. Lucky Tiger
    15. Capt' Smiths
    16.Maclas
    17. Bois d' Inde
    18. Master's
    19. Lustray
    20. Black magic
    21. St' Lucia
    22. Benjamin's
    23. Benjamin's Mentholated Bay Rum
    24. Superior 70
    25. Superior 70 Mentholated Bay Rum
    26.Costanza

*** Test Market Bottles***
    27. The Well Honed Edge Mike Ratliff's Bay Rum
    28. Al's Shave Cream's Bay Rum

See I told ya I was a Fanatic :)

Hodge and BigT like this.
  8. South Coast Shaving

South Coast Shaving New Member

Has anyone used any of the Col Conk Products?

9. Med. Cheese

Med. Cheese Well-Known Member

I'll admit, I haven't tried a lot of them. I do like Captain's Choice- both the Bay Rum and Cat O' Nine Tails. Master is good and cheap.

10. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I just tried the Ogalalla Sandlewood Bay Rum for the first time. Initially there is an overwhelming clove scent. I smelled like Christmas threw up on me. Eventually the clove died down and the Sandlewood became more prominent. I would say I did enjoy the scent more after a little while but this would probably not be my first choice in Bay Rums going forward. SWMBO thinks it makes me smell like a cookie, but not in a good way.

BigT likes this.
  11. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I've tried several but always seem to go back to Masters. Plus I can purchase it locally.

12. TMDE Dan

TMDE Dan Member

Col. Conk was my first bay rum and I love it. It leans toward the "tropical bay rum" catagory. Very fresh and husky at the same time.

I recently received a sample pack from Ogalalla and have to admit it isn't my cup of tea. The clove/cinnamon of the Bay Rum aftershave and cologne is too much for me. But, Ogalalla's B.R. lime and pepper corns and the B.R. sage and cedar are both very nice. There is a fairly strong clove scent when first applied but the clove fades a bit allowing the other scents to bloom. A hint for Ogalalla sniffers is do not judge this by the bottle scent. The bottle scent is kind of off putting but once this stuff dries down on you it comes to life, just like "the Veg" (sorry, had to go there).

Hodge likes this.
  13. TMDE Dan

TMDE Dan Member

You know how you try something for the first time and are just kinda "meh."......? Then you go back to it again later, and it becomes the center of your aftershave universe.......?

Um yah, I have fallen head over heals in love with everything Ogalalla. The witch hazel goodness. The scents, oh my the scents!!!

So bottom line is 2 thumbs and 2 big toes up for Ogalalla and their variety of aftershaves.

Hodge likes this.
  14. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I like the Captains Choice Bay Rum.

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Kramperts :git:......and the chicks will beat a path down to your door....;) You might need to hold straight pins in your mouth to keep the girls from kissing you...:happy097:

And you can get it in a super cool high quality brushed stainless steel hip flask...Too Cool for School
    And the skin care factor probably makes it the best AS that I've tried period....This is an unsolicited and honest opinion...This stuff is smokin'

16. South Coast Shaving

South Coast Shaving New Member

I keep reading about Ogalalla. It seems people either love it or hate it. I guess it's time to give it a try and see what all the talk is about.

Hodge likes this.
  17. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Awesome, I'll be getting the Bay Rum flask soon!

18. Sea Doggy

Sea Doggy New Member

As far as BayRums go the majority IMO is correct. Ogallala hands down.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I am enjoying the Ogalalla Bay Rum I'm currently sampling—although truthfully, it's not a 'pure' BR, as it is the Lime & Peppercorn variation.
    I've used the Pinaud BR in the past and found it decent. The scent of the Ogalalla is much more subtle and fades rather quickly.

Next step is to make my own... :)

20. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Didn't see Honey Bee Gardens on the list. HBG makes a very nice Bay Rum. Also big votes for VIBR and Masters!