Be careful out there #1

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PhilNH5, Jun 9, 2010.

1. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

I was looking for razors in an antique store. Found a treasure trove of 30 individual razors for sale. They were looked in a display cabinet as this was a multi-vendor sight. I got a sales lady to open the cabinet.

Most of the razors were junk. I was inspecting each by opening them up. I wasn't paying close attention as I opened up a brass Tech. Fortunately out of habit I was holding the head by the ends as I unscrewed the handle. Once apart there was a blade in there. A disgusting used rusty blade.

The sales lady was aghast. She kept asking if I was alright. If I had asked I probably could have got a free razor:D

This is a first for me and in the future I will look closely prior to putting my hand on the head of a used razor.

Phil

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

that's a great reminder for everyone, that those of us who actively hunt for razors should always be reminded to pay attention to.
    glad you're okay

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've seen this more than once. Appearently some vendors have no idea how a DE razor works.

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Good advice! I got slightly nipped (kinda dragged across the skin, didn't dig in) by an old blade in a Gem S/E in much the same situation.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I was talking to this vendor one day and, he obviously had no idea how to handle a DE, ran his finger along the blade like some dull butterknife:scared007, and cut himself. It wasn't bad and he played it off like he meant to, but all of you know as well as I do that he was an overconfident ass that had no idea what he was doing.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There's been a blade in about half of all the vintage razors I've come across. I treat every razor as though it has a blade in it when I pick it up, then check to make sure.

7. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Always assume there's a blade in a used razor, but assume it even more in the case of injectors. With DEs and SEs, any seller with common sense can figure out how to remove the blade, if it occurs to them. With injectors, it's not hard to do, but it's less obvious.

A lot of sellers actually seem to think that having an "original blade" in the razor is a selling point.