Bean Soup

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by 1OldGI, Dec 6, 2009.

1. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Description:
    14 Bean, Sausage and Ham Soup. This is comfort food on steroids for pennies. Perfect for a cold gray fall day.

Time: 2 hrs
    Difficulty: Easy
    Serving Size: 12 (at least)

Ingredients:
    1 lbs bag of dried 14 bean mixture
    1 medium to large onion
    3 or 4 stalks of celery
    2 Tbs. Chili Powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    1 lbs canned ham (diced)
    1 lbs Polish Sausage (Kilbasa)
    1 Large Can Diced Tomatoes

Preparation:
    1. Wash dried bean mixture
    2. Dice up onion, celery, ham and sausage

Instructions:
    1. Place bean mixture, onions, celery, ham and sausage in a large dutch oven or stock pot. Cover with about 3 quarts of water.
    2. Add Chili Powder, salt and pepper to taste.
    3. Heat to a rolling boil over medium high heat. Let it boil for 2-5 minutes.
    4. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for about an hour.
    5. Return the pot to medium high heat and bring to a good rolling boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, add the can of diced tomatoes.
    6. Let the soup simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the beans are tender. Serve by itself or over rice. This will make a big pot of soup you can eat off of for two or three days and costs next to nothing to make.

2. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

Thanks for this one. I printed it up and will give it a try. Never heard of a 14 bean mix but I'll look for it.

3. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

Sounds like a winner. I'll have to give it a try now that it has finally cooled down.

4. Nick Freeh

Nick Freeh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great recipe. I had always avoided bean soup because I thought it involved overnight soaking of the beans, etc., and a lot of hassle, but this soup can be made fairly quickly.I made some today and it was delicious! Couldn't find 14-bean mix, but substituted 15-bean. 1-bean would be great, too. :D This soup was very easy to make, and it makes enough to feed a small army. I will try putting it in smaller containers and freezing it for easy meals in the future. I found pre-cubed ham in 1 pound packages, which made the preparation even easier.

-Vance

5. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Glad it came out for ya. Yeah it's 15 bean not 14. Apparently there's some real good soup weather up Chicago way too. We've had our 2 days of gray, cold (for here) and today it was up close to 80 (that's why I live here :D)

6. BullGoose

I'm going to make the bean soup for dinner tonight. I'll report back with a mini review. :pot

7. BullGoose

We finally had some good soup weather in Los Angeles (it actually dipped below 60) and I decided to give 1OldGi's recipe a try. In a nutshell, I give the bean soup two thumbs up!:eatdrink047

It was very easy to make and was both hearty and delicious. What more could you want? The only deviation I made from the recipe was that I added about three cloves of crushed garlic. I know what I'm going to be eating for the next few days. :cool:

8. bperryman1

bperryman1 Member

Bought all the ingredients today. Gonna give this a whirl on thursday only spin im gonna put on this is gonna try making it in a crock pot. One question for you is have you ever been stationed at Langley AFB. I was there 94 to 98.

9. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Nope never at Langley (in fact never stationed east of the Mississippi). Most of my stateside time was at Fairchild and Mountain Home. Last base was Dyess. The recipe should work well in the crock pot.

10. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

I gave this soup a go today and it was just wonderful. I thought about the crock pot too but wanted to stay true to the instructions. Had to go out and buy a big stock pot. Only change I made was a slight cut back on the chili powder.

OldGI if you've got any more soup recipes as good as this one please pass them forward.

Cyril

11. bperryman1

bperryman1 Member

Made it today, was great.

12. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

bperryman1,

Did you use the crock pot and if so how did you do it and how did it turn out? Did you just toss everything in and let it go all day?

Cyril

13. bperryman1

bperryman1 Member

Na followed his directions, only thing I did different was cook it for about two hrs on a low temp. Ohh and I added garlic.

14. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I made a very basic navy bean soup earlier this month that was just awesome! I perfer to use a ham shank in it, which yeilds a lot of meat and more flavor compared to a ham hock. You gotta have a bone in the soup to fortify and thicken it, that calcium will leach out during the 12 hours it spends in the slow cooker. It sets up enough that you can spread it on bread for a sandwich when it's cold.

1 lb white beans (I like navy)
    1 ham shank
    8 cups of water
    1 onion, diced small (adjust the amount of onion to taste)
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon of salt
    Pepper to taste

Soak the beans with enough water to cover them overnight. Drain, then add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and let it go for 10-12 hours on low. Best served with cron bread and some diced onion sprinkled on top.

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Hey JP it sounds great! Just missing a capful of vinegar when you eat it. :D

How about you start your own recipe thread since it is a different recipe?