Beards/Goatees

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Derhey, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I have had a goatee for years but have never used any products to keep in "on line". Any recommendations from you? I was thinking about Bluebeards Revenge Beard Conditioner. I am open to feedback! Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'm experimenting a little now too. Decided I like the longer look better. I have really thick, coarse hair and found that balms and oils don't do much to control the flyaways for me. The only wax I've tried so far is Clubman and I'm not crazy about it.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I just buzz my goatee down with a #2 trimmer about every 3 or 4 weeks and hand trim any fly aways in the meanwhile with a small pair of scissors.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

As far as products go, I use the shampoo and conditioner my wife buys. Works great.

Derhey likes this.
  5. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I will try some conditioner on my goatee. I am not big on the idea of putting oil on my face as a leave on type of thing (as many of the beard products seem to be). If I do try a product, I will be sure to share what I think. Thanks for the feedback!

6. N00bie

N00bie Active Member

On my beard I just use regular shampoo/conditioner. I pat it dry with a towel then to finish I comb through it while using a hair dryer. It keeps it more manageable and it makes the hair softer so it's not irritating.

I've used this home-made beard balm that I bought from a lady on eBay but I'm not thrilled. It's a pain to use though. I'm planning to give oil a try and just comb it through.

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Shea Buttah

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I've had my goatee for the past 11 years. Had it on and off for 10 before that subject to requirements of job dress codes. I just use normal shampoo on it, keep it trimmed with the #2 comb on my Gillette trimmer about once a week and all is good. Now, if only the gray that has taken over would recede a bit.

Derhey likes this.
  9. drjenkins

drjenkins Well-Known Member

I'm trying out the Grave Before Shave stuff right now in my goatee. The beard oil hasn't really done much for me just yet, but my hair is oily so I usually don't have much issue with dryness. Going to keep with it though since I do have occasional dry skin underneath.

The Beard Bomb is doing great for my grays that tend to want to show all points on the compass simultaneously. Keeping them in place was something I had pretty much given up on, but this works well for me. My goatee is starting to eerily resemble a mixed badger brush lately, so I have that going for me.

Word about the scent if you do try them: I got the Bay Rum versions of the oil and balm. It's not any Bay Rum I've ever smelled. More of a sweet scent with an almost pineapple hint to it. Not spicy at all. Next time I think I'll just go with the unscented. It's not bad by any means, just wouldn't have been my first choice if I'd have been able to smell it beforehand.

10. YourGunShowTickets

YourGunShowTickets Well-Known Member

Derhey likes this.
  11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I use a small set of clippers set on 10mm and then trim corners and around my mouth with scissors. It seems to keep it in check. Conditioner works ok but I find oil makes my skin breakout.

12. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the feedback...for about a week, I have been using a little shampoo, letting some conditioner sit in my goatee while I shower , and then finishing with some Viking Beard Conditioner (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXIFPC6/?tag=thshde-20). My goatee is noticably softer and fuller. I regret not giving it much attention for the past few years. Live and learn, I hope this has helped others as well. I am thinking about trying a few other balms as well, just to see the effects. As always, if I do, I will report back with how it goes.

13. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

14. vahn212

vahn212 New Member

Beard Balm Natural Leave In Conditioner, 1.5 Ounce can makes ur beard nice and soft and helps keep the hairs straight. [​IMG]

15. fakemoez

fakemoez Member

16. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I haven't used any special products, I think proraso are bringing out some beard care products. Anyone tried them?

SDK likes this.
  17. razrmnky

razrmnky Active Member

Honest Amish extra grit beard wax. You can find it on Amazon.

18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Only product I ever tried was Billy Jealousy and I was very disappointed. That is a beard wash however.

19. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Let me know if you (0r anyone) sees something concrete on that.

On days when I use Proraso red soap I soak my goatee with it while I shave. The Shae conditioning and sandalwood scent in the beard is really great combination. Just based on that I would think that anything they make specifically for beards is going to be worth a try...