Been having bad shaves

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 4, 2015.

1. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I don't know what's wrong with me. I think I've lost my mojo. I haven't had back to back good shaves in quite some time.

It all started with me buying the 39c Barberpole Slant. I never had one good shave with it. I tried ten different blades, different angles, nothing.

I have since sold it and gone back to using a Fatboy, New LC, and SS rotation.

I really like the Feather blades, so I bought 75 of them. They work well in certain razors for me. But this last shave, with the SS and a Feather, not good results. Lots of weepers, stinging.

Shave before last, Fatboy on 5 with a Feather, nice results but weepers on problem area of neck when I try to get smooth.

Shave before that, NEW LC with a Feather and had a DFS+ with just a spot of blood which is pretty much unavoidable for me with my neck the way it is.

But I guess what I'm getting at is the whole couple of months with the 39c pretty much threw me off my game and now I feel like I'm a beginner again.

I'm even considering giving DE shaving a break for a while and going to my 5/8 straight...

Encourage me please, any tips?

Kizurra and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. shakosharp

shakosharp Member

barbasol.jpg

Try this.

LaSalle82 likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hi Tim!

Maybe just sticking to one razor for a bit is a way to get this turned back around. Get in to the experience, focus on low blade and and precise, steady strokes. We all run into to these stretches where a familiar activity becomes difficult for no apparent reason, but then, as suddenly as the issues arose, things will go back to normal! But most of all, don't sweat it! Today's shave is over, tomorrow is a chance at a great one...and just keep on. Hang in there!

Kizurra, Joef, tuxxdk and 1 other person like this.
  4. youngunn

Think I'll take your advice about one razor but im trying to make it down to which razor will give me a good experience during that time... Probably the Fatboy since I can dial it down.

Thanks buddy

Kizurra and Joef like this.
  5. youngunn

6. Bama Samurai

I just did a month on FB. I found that Feather made me sore at high settings but rode like a Caddy on five or six. Feather is so sharp I think it doesn't need the help of extra gap or exposure, actually a bit surprised the SS tore you up. Sounds like your angle was too high and you got scraped up.

7. youngunn

I know I was surprised that the SS tore me up too since its usually so mild. I know it's probably my angle is messed up. What's killing me is when I set the razor on the skin for the attack. I feel like I'm being bitten on my neck. I have to concentrate on my angles.

Jayaruh, Kizurra and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

"Ride the cap" ;)

Jayaruh, Kizurra and youngunn like this.
  9. youngunn

I guess I've had one too many rushed shaves, where I absolutely HAD to shave and have gotten bad habits.

10. Bama Samurai

Well then, it's time to make time, and change your frame of mind. If you shaved because you have to, you'd use disposables. I know that you love traditional shaving as much as anyone.

Jayaruh, Kizurra, Shaver X and 2 others like this.
  11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

@Bama Samurai's advice is great, try sticking to one razor. I do that always, I use one razor but I can switch out the software, but not the razor.

Also try and take a little extra time on your prep, just to be sure you have prepped your facial hair properly. I bet you have a good routine, you are not new to this. But maybe try splashing your face a couple times extra with warm water.

or maybe try cold water shaving? it helps some with their irritation =)

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Same thing happened to me when I bought a Hoffritz Slant. Nice razor, but I couldn't get a good shave out of it, no matter what I tried. Had some of the same issues afterwards as well. Mucking about with the slant and trying new things to try to get a decent shave out of it messed up my 'muscle memory.'

I literally had to slow down and treat shaving as if I had never done it before. Short strokes, super light touch, and making sure the razor angle didn't change in relation to my face, no matter which way the razor handle was pointed.

Monitoring the angle was the single most important thing I had to focus on to get back on track.

13. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have been there and done it all. Rotating. It's just baaaaad. Well, not bad, but less stellar.

Stick to one razor, one blade and one brush. If you feel you need to rotate soaps/creams, make sure the lather is pitch perfect. Every soap and cream requires certain adjustment over each other, so if you don't use the same every day it won't "sit" in your hand how to lather it up although you might think you do. I get my best shave when I shave boring. That means it's the same gear all around, no variation.

Also, the angle with the razor. There was a time when I was ready to throw out my Weber. Only to realize I held it wrong. I needed the handle closer to my face than with a Tech for instance. Adjust the angle and I was ready to marry the Weber once again. Angle is crucial.

Also, reconsider the blade. Is it the right one? I thought I had it nailed with the Astra SP and it wasn't until recently I found that the slight red spots certain places was the blade! I didn't suspect. It was sharp, the smoothness was great and it just felt great overall. Only my skin after the shave wasn't in agreement with me.

Some say it's technique that matters the most... I don't agree. If it's not the right gear you'll never get a great shave. It doesn't matter how much technique I acquire, the Astra SP will not stop giving me red spots. It doesn't matter how much technique I apply to my Tabac, it'll not stop giving me sore skin because my skin reacts to it. And it doesn't matter how much I wanna love the Derby blade.. it'll always tear my skin off.

Gear matter. Find the right one and perfect it. And stick to it - no rotation. I love to rotate as much as the next guy and I get good to great shaves from that. But the truly awesome ones come to light when I use the same gear day in and day out. I am a firm believer that that applies to everyone, no matter how awesome shaves they say they get with different gear every day. Sometimes new stuff and the joy that comes with it can overshadow slight imperfections in the shave, eg. a cut or the likes.

Awesome shave to me means DFS to BBS, no irritation, no cuts, no nothing, only pure perfection. A slight nick or cut can ruin it all to me. I say this because I often see guys telling they have just had the most awesome shave with just two cuts and slight irritation that the after shave balm took care of. That's not an awesome shave, that's a mediocre shave. I'm only mentioning this so you know what I mean and can add and subtract with that in the equation.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Short. Sweet. To the point. I like it.

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Yes, and concentrate, especially on your neck, on staying WTG for the first pass. Very light pressure on the XTG pass, AND, for the time being, consider foregoing the ATG pass.

youngunn, Kizurra and tuxxdk like this.
  16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

You might condsider joining us for the 30 day thread, especially if you lock down on your gear. We give a lot of feedback when it is asked for, and focus quite a bit on technique. Plus there are cookies.

17. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive went through the same thing twice in this first year of wet shaving and forced my way out of it by:
    Going back to a blade and razor I knew worked for me.
    A one pass shave until no irritation (usually two days)

This approach seems to help let me heal (physically and mentally).

Bama Samurai, youngunn, Joef and 3 others like this.
  18. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Whenever I've had trouble like yours (usually owing to aggressive razor, Feather blades and/or too much pressure), I've had success with taking a one or two days break from shaving, then picking up again with a milder razor, smoother/less sharp blade, and taking my time with working up a slick lather. Also, the Proraso White Pre shave cream helps against burns. (That's a relative rookie's two cents.)

19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

sounds like wisdom to me.

20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Like most things in life, when you lose your rhythm or karma, go back to what you know and are familiar with.