Been shaving more frequently

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GatorJoe, Jul 23, 2021.

1. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I've been a Monday, Wednesday, Friday shaver at least the past year but the past two weeks I've shaved every workday and even last Saturday to try some things out while my wife was away visiting our daughter in a different state. I've had extra time in the morning since I don't have our coffee time that we've shared for going on 30 years so I have time to kill, so to speak.

Now, I work at home when I want, and have virtual calls much of the day, and I'm in the consulting engineering field dealing with commercial and industrial building contractors so I really don't need to shave more than M, W, & F but I did shave every work day the past two weeks and this is what I've learned about the gear I've used.

I posted recently that my favorite three razors are the Karve D, Gillette Short Comb, and Rex Envoy. That remains, generally. But, for everyday use, I find the Karve C, Karve D and Gillette Short Comb are great everyday razors for me and better for everyday shaving. The Rex Envoy is an awesome razor for my more typical three times a week shave, but used on back to back days, well, it's a bit too efficient. The razors used in order of least efficient to most efficient is: Karve C<Gillette Short Comb<Karve D<Rex Envoy. If I'm going to shave every day I want a quicker emergence of whiskers and I get that with the first three. I'm a bit surprised that the Karve D is a bit less efficient than the Rex Envoy, but that's what I found. I used Astra Superior Platinum and Gillette Silver Blues for blades and didn't find they affected my findings.

I used Proraso Red, Haslinger Aloe Vera, Cella, Tabac, La Toja cream, and MWF soap and enjoyed them all with no irritation or issues.

Aftershave-wise, I found that I get a better post-shave feel with plain ole Pinaud Clubman aftershave over La Toja. I'll still use all 200 ml of the new La Toja aftershave because I just bought it and I like the scent.

Anyway, if I was going to shave every day moving forward, and I probably won't, I could see myself using MWF or Cella soap, the Karve C razor (except Monday where I'd use the D plate), and Clubman aftershave. I'd have to mix in the Gillette Short Comb razor every now and then because it's so similar in shave to the Karve C but a much lighter (in weight) razor. I prefer a heavier razor.

Anyway, my findings after shaving all but one day over the past two weeks.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  2. brit

brit in a box

i went from shaving twice a week-mechanic by trade -to almost daily -service writer now with more face time with the public.i find the gillette short comb to be one of my favorites,most of the gillettes i use are great daily shavers.early tech,new rfb,short comb etc.i also use gillette russian blades in many flavors..:)

GatorJoe likes this.
  3. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I am always impressed with the post shave feel of Clubman Classic, even more so than other Clubman A/S's except maybe The Veg. That has a great post shave feel too.

GatorJoe and brit like this.
  4. GatorJoe

Your post has me thinking that my 1965 Gillette Flare Tip would also work for me as an everyday razor. Thanks.

brit likes this.
  5. GatorJoe

I haven’t tried Clubman’s Vanilla yet. That’s on my list.

6. brit

brit in a box

i have a 65 brit made/canadian market version of that.rocket type mechanism ,black handle flare tip head.very slim,excellent shaver..:)

GatorJoe likes this.
  7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I find that a really good one pass shave every day is better than a fantastic two or three pass shave, every other day.
    Even if I have to shave twice that day, I am cleaner if I do 2 one pass shaves 9 or 10 hours apart.
    But I use the most efficient razor (blade holder) I can find.
    I also use Feather blades in my blade holders.
    This of course.....
    Is not for everyone.
    Do what you like to do.
    Shave how you like to shave.
    The pure essence of traditional wet shaving is doing it...
    Your way.
    Enjoy!

Looking at my posts it doesn't look like it.
    But I, hate, loath, despise etc...etc... shaving.
    I have found my way of keeping it fresh enough to do the dreadful deed, Daily... as needed to look less like a hillbilly.

The only thing I despises more is a beard.

tp

Edison Carter, GatorJoe and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

k-4 1965 brit slim head 1 piece..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edison Carter, Terry and GatorJoe like this.