Behold... the Gillette Fusion Proshield is here. :)

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

It's kind of ironic to me that, with each new tweak to the Fusion line, the base Mach3 is feeling increasingly "old school."

engrsaks likes this.
  2. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Quite true. But hey, the way it shaves and its demand in the market, is still modern. ;)

3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I was going to post last week that I thought this was Gillette's next move for the Fusion, after comparing the Venus with the new Kai/Nivea disposables...

engrsaks likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

In fact, it's so modern that I've never tried it yet

engrsaks likes this.
  5. engrsaks

LOL, and... that is how I would like to react to your comment. :p

[​IMG]

Jerry-built Hustler and Eeyore like this.
  6. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I'm excited about the new handle design and the Venus cartridge with a nice new design.

The ProGlide might glide like a Schick Hydro - which potentially could prevent the easy BBS a ProGlide cartridge provides. With a Hydro it takes an extra pass.

I'm going to get one as soon as they arrive at my local store. Aces!

7. Jerry-built Hustler

Based on the pictures, the handle looks like the same Flexball design as before, just with different color schemes to match the new heads.

Leo K. and engrsaks like this.
  8. engrsaks

And the thrill wears off :(

"Gillette Fusion ProShield razors will be available for mass purchase through Gillette Shave Club and other retail stores starting in late January 2016 for a suggested retail price of $9.49 for the Standard and Chill varieties. Four pack replacement cartridges will also be available in Standard and Chill for a suggested retail price of $22.49. Retail price is at the sole discretion of the retailer but the suggested retail prices are the same as our current best ProGlide cartridges"

Yes, the pack of 4 proshields will cost you $22.49 ($2 more than Proglide). No thanks, I am all set with non foaming gel's glide. I just can't understand why would they charge $3 more for added lubestrip.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  9. Jerry-built Hustler

Because they can (or think they can). Given all the talk about companies like DSC and Harry's making inroads on Gillette's market share due to price, I would have thought Gillette might not keep pushing the limits of what their customers are willing to pay. But here we see a 15% increase in retail price with their newest offering.

I don't understand this statement. Are they saying the suggested retail prices for the ProShield are going to be the same as the current retail prices for the ProGlide? Based on the figures you have presented, that is clearly not true. Current suggested retail for ProGlide is $4.88 a cartridge, which comes out to $19.52 per four-pack. At $22.49 per four-pack, the ProShield comes out to $5.62 a cartridge. As mentioned, that's a 15% increase.

Can you link to a source for the information?

engrsaks likes this.
  10. engrsaks

Yes, Of course, here is the link. The paragraph I quoted is written right above the subheading "about gillette".

11. Jerry-built Hustler

Thanks. That passage still puzzles me. Suffice it to say, however, Gillette is now edging ever closer to the $6 per cart mark. I guess they're not that scared of the less expensive competition.

engrsaks likes this.
  12. engrsaks

Most welcome, Mr.Nathan. When it comes to cart lubrication, hydro 5 is the clear winner. They managed to provide good mileage plus long lasting lubrication for just $2.34 per cart. I have been using non foaming shave gel and this kind of lather completely eliminates the need for lubrastrip. I became an instant fan of non foaming shave gel after its very first use. The glide I experienced is the best among all other options. Shaving residuals on the blade after the shave are negligible. I will try the proshield, but, I don't think that it will ever become my necessity because I can get non foaming shave gel for this very purpose.

13. Jerry-built Hustler

What specific gel do you prefer?

engrsaks likes this.
  14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and speculate that this is yet another product improvement that we can't live without and is "vastly improved" over the previous Gillette fusion proglide battery operated vibrating with flexball technology....geeze my fingers hurt, higher price tag whisker removing device which no doubt someone will purchase. I'm over it;)

15. engrsaks

Currently, the following two are the only ones available here in my area. :) . I alternate between these two. Gillette's transparent gel is actually intended to be used with their Proglide Styler, but it works well on my face too. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I like L'real more because of its cooling sensation. :)

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. engrsaks