Being Lazy...Best way to degunk a razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by FatherofSquirrel, Dec 27, 2014.

1. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

I know they are their, but I can't find them.

Links to ways to get gunk and tarnish off a razor please.

Thanks.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

What type of razor is it? The plating or material can make a difference.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Most of the threads suggest scrubbing bubbles, a toothbrush, hot water, and a little elbow grease...lol. I'm guessing its that super speed you just received?

4. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

I saw a video from Razor Emporium that recommended throwing it in the dishwasher - assuming it's all metal - the next time you run it. I've had success with soaking it in warm water with Palmolive dish soap for 30 minutes, scrubbing it with a toothbrush, then a 1 minute soak in scrubbing bubbles followed by another scrub. Then rinse and dry.

5. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Also, be cognizant of the mechanism... A TTO requires more careful attention than, say, a 3-piece.

Not to mention whether there is paint, color, plastic/Bakelite, etc. -- for example, I don't know if I'd put a Krona in a dishwasher because of the plastic handle/knob, and I would be more careful with a late 60s/70s black handle SS or a Black Beauty.

I've also discovered -- the hard way -- that vintage gold-plated razors are more susceptible to plating loss when using cleaners or polishes than nickel or silver plated razors. I've seen regular Scrubbing Bubbles remove gold or nickel plating from a handle on a vintage razor, especially those with thinner plating (like a 40s US Aristocrat or a 1940 Milord in gold, which have very thin plating). And you shouldn't ever use the Scrubbing Bubbles with bleach. Also, some people have said they soaked their razor in Scrubbing Bubbles for anything from a few minutes to a few hours; but I have seen that remove plating inadvertently... I don't ever soak any razor for more than a minute or two in Scrubbing Bubbles now.

As for some older models like the common bar handle NEW, you can use Cameo cleaner to take them down to bare copper and brass... But that's if you are trying to remove both the gunk/patina AND the plating.

For Super Speeds, I've had good luck with Scrubbing Bubbles, soap and water, a quick dip in boiling or near-boiling water, a soft toothbrush and maybe some toothpaste (used sparingly) and also Maas polish. I've used all of those in combination or individually on a flare tip SS without any issues. For a 40s Super Speed, I might skip the boiling water or any sort of long soaking, to avoid having the retention ring in the handle develop any further weakening or corrosion.

Just my rambling thoughts-- keep in mind I'm no expert.

6. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

I bought a Gillette Sheraton that needed some TLC. I used Brasso and a brass wire brush and followed up with Hagerty Silversmith polish. I also read an overnight soak in white vinegar works good.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

FatherofSquirrel and theFAT98 like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I just do a soak in warm water with Dawn. I then do Scrubbing Bubbles and use my dedicated electric toothbrush for the final cleaning. I finish off with Maas metal polish.

8. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

I've heard vinegar (even diluted) can remove plating, so you may want to use care.

9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Hot tap water, Dawn dish washing soap, and an old toothbrush should de-gunk pretty well.
    The detail cleaning and /or polishing will depend on the type of razor
    and it's current finish.

Pictures??

10. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I just use a toothbrush on my Edwin Jagger. Seems to work just fine.

Shaver X and FatherofSquirrel like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Scrubbing bubbles is the friend of housewives and vintage razor collectors alike. That stuff will degunk just about anything. Dishwashing soap is also your friend, as is an old toothbrush.

12. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

I bought some Scrubbing Bubbles and my wife told me the stuff was too caustic to use in most household cleaning situations. She said I am not to use it in our new custom built tile shower. I soaked my Merkur Progress in it for about 12 hours without any negative results, despite what my wife said. I just won an adjustable Gillette on ebay, and will think twice, based on Eric's (shotwell) comments above.

13. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I used to collect old fishing reels. I use a product called Miracle Cloth to clean the tarnish off the chrome or nickel silver parts. Works very well and I suspect it would do well on a tarnished razor. Never-Dull also works well.

14. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Thanks for all of the advice.
    Yeah, its that TTO I just got. I used the bubbles and scrubed w/ a toothbrush. I think there was already some plating loss. I think it cleaned up pretty decent.

I do need to get a good polish for my razors though.
    Thanks again.