Bel Ami by Hermes

Discussion in 'Scents' started by bscarpenter, Feb 20, 2017.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

For my birthday, my wife took me to the fine fragrances department of Bloomingdales and said "let's pick out something we like". Typically, this would be very overwhelming to me because once I've sniffed more than a couple of colognes, my olfactory sense goes on overload, so I thought it may take more than one visit. I tried some Tom Ford, Parfum d'Marley, & Aqua Di Parma. I skipped over Hermes as I already have Terre D'hermes. Right before I was ready to walk away, the sales associate suggested I try Bel Ami by Hermes. It was a little sharp right out of the gate, but I sprayed some on my skin and I said that I would have to think about it.

My wife and I then had lunch and an hour later she said WOW, which scent is that. I said that I had only sprayed one on my skin and it was Bel Ami. I lifted my wrist to my nose and got the most luxuriously layered leather based scent with a mix of patchouli & citrus. It is complex, sophisticated, masculine and definitely makes a statement about smelling like a man.

So back to the sales associate who said that it would need to be ordered. I placed my order and she proceeded to fill the largest sample bottle I've ever seen from the tester.

That night, I shaved with a vintage Russian straight using Fine Accoutrements Italian Citrus soap & aftershave. I sprayed on some Bel Ami, donned my finest crevat and off to dine we went. Every woman at the dinner party complimented me and asked what I was wearing. Compared to Terre D'hermes, one can tell that Bel Ami is form the same ilk, both are peppery and spicy, but the leathery dry down of Bel Ami sets it apart enough to own both. This is an all day scent and should not be overdone. Two sprays layered with a nice aftershave is plenty and I awoke the next morning with the fragrance lingering.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Queen of Blades and Demidog like this.