Belated Introduction

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by TADIII, Oct 29, 2016.

1. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

I had been lurking here for a couple of years, and even opened a log-on to have access to some pics that wouldn’t show for me, otherwise. Then, a thread caught my attention because it talked to a project on which I was working. A responder advised me to introduce myself, so…

I am retired and have been living part time in Florida and part time in North Carolina, although I think I am more and more full-time North Carolina.

I started shaving with a Schick Injector in 1960, and bought a new Slim Adjustable in 1966. That Slim was my daily driver until the Summer of 2013 when I (re)discovered the Gillette Fatboy, as well as the Depression-era Gillette NEW, oh, and after-market handles – I have a real problem with handle acquisition!

So here I am, with my Slim, a couple of Fatboys, a dozen and a half NEWs, some Old Types, along with some modern open-comb razors – a FaTip Grande (dressed up as a 2009 Muhle R89), a Merkur (that looks like a Gillette Old Type, a Pearl (reminiscent of the FaTip), and an ATT M2.

Ah, but handles…I have had several CooncatBobs, a couple of UFOs, a one-of-a-kind AKASL, a couple of Griests, a couple of Webers, an iKon, some SABI T2s, a RazoRock spiral, a very heavy two-part Pearl travel handle, a very interesting ball-end from Hibco, and several Triads.

Although I am a noob here, I have been around for a while, and, no offense to Groucho, but thanks for letting me join.

Keithmax, clint64, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome.
    Please join us in the shave of the day thread. Its fun to contribute and to check out what the others are using.
    Showcasing your handles and other equipment can be fun. Hope to see you there.

clint64 and PickledNorthern like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

clint64 likes this.
  4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome to TSD! thumbsup.gif

clint64 likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

clint64 likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @TADIII ! Glad you brought your experience with you. When an experienced Shaver joins us I like to say," I may have questions later."
    I've got one now. I recently purchased a second hand Fatip Piccolo. The handle is a bit thin and shorter than I prefer. After researching I see the threads are different than the Grande version. You have some interest and experience at swamping handles. Do you have a recommendation for my desired replacement?

clint64 and PickledNorthern like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den! It's amazing that you shaved with your Slim for nearly 50 years. That's a testament to its sturdy construction and good shaving performance. Please post a photo of it when you can.

clint64, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Good morning! It is going to be cool having you with us, because you have been doing this a long time. I think/hope you will have some fun here.

Jared

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clint64 likes this.
  9. Pierce Jordan

Pierce Jordan Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to TSD.

clint64 likes this.
  10. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

clint64 likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!

clint64 likes this.
  12. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

RyX,
    I don't have any experience with the Piccolo handle. Some people have had good luck with some handles that fit the original Grande head, and some have used Teflon tape on the threads to assure a good fit (use a P74* if you do that). When I have used a different handle on the FaTip blade guard I have fitted a Gillette Old Type cap; the handles fit and the shave is a smidge less aggressive.

Tom

RyX and clint64 like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD Tom.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Tom - I have been a home builder, semi retired handyman currently. No stranger to cudgeled repairs. I do have both regular Teflon tape, and the thicker yellow variety used for natural gas plumbing. Your other suggestion I encountered in my fix this issue reading. I have a 3pc Frankenrazor and a Gillette ball end tech that I was considering. Then I looked at a recent acquisition; Muhle R89.

Fatip base Muhle r89 cap & handle.gif Thanks for the ideas! I'll let you know if the Mildness of the Muhle calms the Aggressive Fatip. This will be my shave tomorrow in the 30 Day Rule/Focus Group.

DaltonGang likes this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Howdy, from Texas. It sounds like you have a nice collection started. I would be interested I seeing pics posted .

RyX likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm going to just welcome you again. I am here in Hendersonville. We moved here 3 1/2 years ago after I retired.
    zwelcome1.jpg zshavingisfun.jpg