Bentonite Clay.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Aztecface, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Aztecface

Aztecface New Member

Aside from Tryphon, QED and Mama Bear soaps I can't use any of the "other" famous(home entrepenour) soap makers soaps. They contain either Kaolin or Bentonite clay and my face has a serious sensitivity issue with that.

Why do most seem to persist in using those clays???

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The clay adds glide to the shave.

I'd be happy to make you some without the clay if you'd like, and I'm sure other soapmakers would be happy to accommodate you too. That's the great thing about small time soapmaking, IMO, it can be customized a bit.

3. Aztecface

Aztecface New Member

Thank You. I'll have a look through your varitations and get back.

4. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

Have you tried shaving with bath soap?

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Susie, are there any differences in the way you make your bath soap and shave soap or are they both interchangable?

6. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

The only difference is that I make my shave soap with Bentonite Clay. Otherwise, all other ingredients are the same.:D
    Susie

7. JayKay

Hm go figure. Very interesting. Looks like I'll have some multipurpose bars around. Hope my check cleared and the soaps I ordered from you get here soon :D

8. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

it cleared Thursday and I ran up to the automatic mailer, so they should be there early next week. Possibly Monday. If you want to use the bath bars with shaving, it's up to you. However, the clay give the razor more slip, so if you like the extra cushion without the drag, the shaving rounds would be the way to go.

Susie

9. JayKay

I'm excited! I could always use those bath bars with some proraso and make some sweet smelling super lather. I just picked up 3 more razors (bad, bad me) so that soap will be put to use.

Thank you Susie. You're awesome!

10. Aztecface

Aztecface New Member

Yes. Once. It worked very good but it was a french triple milled soap.

I wonder why so many soapmakers insist on using bentonite clay. There are better ways of maintaining slip for razors.

11. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Out of curiosity, how have you concluded it's the clay, and what symptoms do you get?

12. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

what do you suggest? I know there are other types of clay, does one feel better to you then another? Or what other kind of ingredients do you like to see, that work well for you?

13. Queen of Blades

Such as?

14. Aztecface

Aztecface New Member

It has to be the clays. All makers that include that aside from TSD soaps(i've never tried them). All makers that don't include clays work just fine.

I'm talking about homemade soaps.

I don't know what kind as I am not a soapmaker.

Tryphon, QED and Mama Bear soaps do not include those clays and those soaps do not give me any irritations.

I could give you the list of what soaps have given me irritations.

15. greychamp

greychamp New Member

You also might want to try Papillon shaving soap. The soap maker, Ethel, makes a glycerin-based shaving soap for me that contains mango butter, silk and Vitamin E. It is slick and super moisturizing. It contains no clay. I find it to be better than any of the glycerin-based soaps that are so popular with folks who frequent The Shave Den. Just ask for the shaving soap she makes for Bob. The URL is http://store.fastcommerce.com/cat_Papillonsoap-ff80818117b037f80117b3d022e809d1.html

16. Queen of Blades

I'm sorry, but have you tried all the glycerin-based soaps?

17. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Well there you go - I never knew there was clay in soaps! Is there clay in creams also?

James.

18. Aztecface

Aztecface New Member

Some manufacturors use clays in their creams as well. Same manufacturors as those that use clays in their soaps. Not all creams though. SCS does not use those clays in any of her creams. Unfortunatly(for me) in her soaps.

Most manufacturors of glycerin soaps have not found a way to make shaving soaps without the inclusion of clays for slip.

19. TULIP

TULIP New Member

Axle grease. :happy102

20. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

This is quite interesting. I haven't yet understood WHAT problems the clay is claimed to give. It's a help agent, and as far as my research has gone, it's not an "active" ingredient as it isn't considered a chemical substance but a physical additive.

Does rasul give the same symptoms? Green clay?