best blades for merkur 34C / 38C

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idan, Aug 11, 2017.

1. idan

idan Active Member

what is the best blades for merkur 34C / 38C ?

Thank you very much ....

Douglas Carey and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No one here can answer that question. You have to ask your face. It will tell you what blade feels the smoothest, what blade shaves the closest, and what blade leaves no razor burn. Only your face knows the answer. Listen to your face.

How do I know? I have 3 HDs.
    No doubt someone is going to mention Voskhod or Derby. I can't stand either one in any razor, let alone an HD. I prefer Astra SPs, but someone will come along and say those blades won't work for them. So who ya gonna believe? Believe your face. The face never lies.

RetLEO-07, jtspartan, sdguero and 7 others like this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Volkhod and Derby blades will never be ordered by me again. I am slowly getting rid of the few packs of Volkhods that are left.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey and Jim99 like this.
  4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The Merkur 34c was my first razor and I still use it most of the time. All the below blades are the best blade for the 34c. It takes them all and delivers excellent shaves every time.
    Blade Inventory.jpg

sdguero, Douglas Carey, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Told ya! ;)

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Its taken me 5 years to figure out what blade works best for me. Keep trying as many different blades as you can.

Jim99 likes this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

See if you can buy blades in small quantities or get a sample pack. Similar to what @swarden43 said, your face will tell you what blade works. I like Personna and Astra blades and others here can't use them. Go figure!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

So far I have found I really like Dorco 301 and ZaZa for an everyday blade. I also really like Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow and Black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Talneharus

Talneharus Well-Known Member

So far my face is really really enjoying Gillette blades. Just tried the 7'o clock super platinum they work for me. But I know I have a lot more to try before I can find what tickles my fancy the most. So grab a variety and have fun! :happy088:

10. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Go to Tryablade.com and get a blade sampler pack and start experimenting. Soon you'll find blades you love, blades you hate, and blades that are middle of the road. Then order a bunch of your favorite, and after using them for a while, you'll find that some of the blades you didn't like are not as bad as you thought. Proper technique makes blade choice less important. There will probably be a few that will never work well for you, but the list gets smaller as your experience grows.

11. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

The blades that work best for me, only works well for you if you have the same kind of beard as me.

There is no other chance than to try a few brands. In order to find a decent blade more quickly I am going to list a few of the most liked blades. Try with these first (approximately sorted in order of sharpness):

Voskhod (or Sputnik), Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue (or PolSilver), Feather

There are many other high quality blades than these, but these blades gives a good start and allows you to find out how sharp blades you need for no tugging.

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

1) Purchase blade samples from XYZ(insert favorite blade source)
    2) Receive said blades
    3) Respond as soon as possible to the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread
    4) Commence blade Focus auditions with preferred razor
    5) Discover blade that shaves your face the best
    6) Observe that your technique has vastly improved over a thirty day span
    7) Enjoy your shaves
    That is all

swarden43 likes this.