Best chili for chili dogs?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by MTgrayling, Jul 19, 2009.

1. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I have a craving for chili dogs and was wondering what's everyone's favorite canned chili for making them. I tried some Stagg chili last evening and it was too thin and runny, but had a good flavor. I want a thick, hearty and spicy chili on my dogs. What chili do I look for?

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    If it's available in your area "Pride of Virginia". It's usually in the meat department with the salads and such.

3. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

4. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Mom would generally use Wolf Brand or Hormel.
    Hormel actually makes (or made?) a 'Hot Dog Sauce'.
    It was a slightly thinner chili, less meat, presumably easier to ladle over hotdogs, but I never cared much for it.

*minor addendum* I don't see a 'Hot Dog Sauce' listed for Hormel anymore, but Wolf Brand makes one. It looks like a finer consistency version of their normal chili.

http://www.wolfbrandchili.com/pages/products/index.html

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

No "Pride of Virginia" here, unfortunately. "With a name like that it has to be good". :D

Thanks for the links. The "Paterson's" sounds like the stuff I need. I may try to order some.

I remember the Hormel "Hot dog Sauce", actually, from when I was a kid. It was good.

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I am going to sound like a heritic here but I typically preferr Giant and/or safeway's own brand of chili to any of the national brands. I find it to be a much better brand and much better suited for chilidogs.

7. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

Chris Pm me. I would be happy to pick up some Patterson's and some Texas Pete another NC favorite and ship to you. It may be cheaper than going directly to the distributor.

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Tom,

I certainly appreciate the offer! Maybe we can work out a trade. Cool!

I'll try the Safeway brand and see how it stacks up. All we have here is a Safeway and a small IGA.

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Strange as it seems our Safeway doesn't seem to have its own chili brand? They carry Stagg and Nalley's that I could find. I tried the Nalley's thick chili and it was the right consistency, but blander than any chili I've ever had. I had to spice it up until all I could taste was the hot sauce. Not ideal.

Thanks to Tommynick I have these authentic chili dog sauces to try out. Thanks Tom!!

[​IMG]

The testing begins this afternoon.

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i can feel your arteries beginning to clog.

11. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The sacrifice is worth it. :D

The "Patterson's" can gets two paws up from Kitty. He generally doesn't like tomato based things so this was a resounding endorsement.

[​IMG]

Now for the human perspective. This is the stuff I've been searching for! The Patterson's Hot Dog Chili brings back memories of the hot dog stands of my youth. It has a good rich flavor and, sans beans, is an authentic southern/eastern sauce. If I could improve it myself I'd make it slightly thicker and add more spice, although this can easily be accomplished at home.

Here's last nights taste test. Comfort food all around, with baked beans and a root beer float. I doubt this meal would make anyone's healthy eating list. ;) As a bachelor I don't mind the epoxy'd crack in the bowl, the dishes were piled up in the sink..

[​IMG]

After thinking this chili dog thing over for awhile now I think my Mom may have used Manwich sloppy joe sauce with added ketchup for our chili dogs as a kid. The Patterson's has a similiar flavor, it's just a bit thinner. It looks like one can will provide fixins for about 4 chili dogs.

Update: Our local Safeway also carries Hormel brand chili, haven't tried it though.

12. Adeptus_Minor

I am soooo craving a chili dog now. :o

13. flipflopsnowman

flipflopsnowman New Member

There are only two places in which hot dogs are edible (to me): the ball park and as a chili dog.

I'm craving Skyline now. I never made it to their wall of fame, but it wasn't for lack of trying :D

When she was pregnant with me, my mom was addicted to Tony Packos [1]. It's only in the Toledo, OH area, but it's delicious.

[1] http://www.tonypackos.com/products.php

14. Adeptus_Minor

Skyline is -not- chili.
    A friend of a friend brought some of that stuff down here and heated it up at a party.
    :sick007

*eta - I'll grant that, if I had not been raised on traditional chili, it might not have turned me off so, likewise if I'd had it at one of their restaurants and not the canned stuff.

15. Philq

Philq New Member

Steakand Shake

If you have a Steak and Shake near you get a can of theirs it's #1 as a second choice Bush's at the grocery.

16. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Thanks for the recipe link there Tom. I made this tonight and the kids loved the chili sauce. Served it up with a side of garlic fries for them. Good Stuff!

[​IMG]

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Stop it, Bill! Now I want chili cheese dogs, fries, and pizza. :(

I'll be having chicken.

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

BBQ'ed? I do make some wicked BBQ chicken on the grill. :) OTOH if you prefer fried, I have a pressure fryer too! :D (well 3 of them actually)

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    baked.