Best Gillette Open Comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jon radin, Apr 10, 2018.

1. jon radin

jon radin Member

Generally, I am looking to explore American and British Gillette open comb razors. Eventually I intend to buy a mid to very aggressive vintage Gillette open comb. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Why you like the razor you reccommend. How hard or easy it was to find. What other ones have you tried that don't measure up. The more information you can add, the better. If you can add approximate market price, or your purchase price that would help a lot.

RyX likes this.
  2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have used Old Type, NEW SC and NEW LC. In my opinion, the older an Gillette is, the more aggressive it is.

All of these ones have their own fan clubs, so when you ask for the best, there will not be one answer all would agree upon. Personally I find NEW LC to be the smoothest, but it might not be the smoothest for you as shaving is so YMMV.

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  3. jon radin

jon radin Member

Thank you for your reply Engblom, how aggressive would you say the New LC is? Are they hard to find? What would you guess a shave ready New LC would cost?
    Appreciate any further information you can add.

4. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

The NEW SC is the smoothest OC that I have, even compared to the LC.

Taipan and RyX like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I would say my favorite OC is the Sheraton. The Old Type used to be an aggressive razor for me until I learned about riding the cap. I really like all the OC type razors better than safety bar razors though. Too bad the Fatboy did not come in an OC.
    Sheraton_13.JPG
    Sheraton_16.JPG

Bookworm and RyX like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have Old Types, New SC's, New LC's and a New Improved (Bostonian, Canada) and they all work fine. But for me, my favorite is the Bostonian, as I consider it to be a medium length comb, between SC and LC. It's length, weight and balance just works great for me.

RyX likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

New Improved or New Deluxe for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Jorvaljr, gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

My favorite Gillette is the New Short Comb, followed closely by the New Long Comb. In terms of aggression I would rank the ones I own like this:

Sheraton (mild)
    New Long comb
    New Short Comb
    Old Type
    New Improved (aggressive)

If you are patient in your search you should be able to land a New for less then $20

preidy, jimjo1031 and RyX like this.
  9. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I prefer my Sheraton, and I've tried several different NEW SC's and the various OLDs. I haven't tried the New Improved yet, although I have one.

RyX likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've used both a New LC & SC. The plating on my Short Comb is pretty rough like a previous owner used 80 grit sandpaper to "clean" it. While the Long Comb is all brass it polishes up so pretty. One day I may invest in nickle plating the LC since I keep it in rotation because it gives me an error free beard reduction. The Bar handle is nice, too.
    New LC polished.gif
    Hard to pin down prices on vintage gear. I traded a ceramic jug and a wooden block and tackle for those two DEs and a Fat Boy with a stuck adjuster. I'm always looking for the deal when I pick up old razors. Hardly ever pay more than $20 and for that it needs to be in very good condition, or cased.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I think the light common bar handle on the SC sucks big time. Completely head heavy, it is the only vintage razor I own which is completely out of wack in terms of balance in stock form. In contrast the heavier New Deluxe handle, like the New Improved, is perfectly balanced with the matched head, with balance point just below the neck where it's supposed to be. Gillette was cheap with standard issue New, that's all there is to it. Still a nice shave of course.

RyX likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I filled mine with lead wire and melted wax. Worked like a charm.

jmudrick and Linuxguile like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I will probably do that, I like the razor otherwise.

Linuxguile likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's my favorite handle ever. Since I've decided on the Clix as my only DE, it'd be nice if I can get them with matching finish (bar handle is down to brass). Anyone know if zamac can be replated?

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Generally no, platers will not touch them, will tell you Cerakote/Gunkote would be better option. You could ask around, the late cooncatbob of BRW did many years ago find someone to nickel plate his Clix.

[​IMG]

gorgo2, Linuxguile and Jorvaljr like this.
  16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Yes, you _can_ replate zinc alloys. If you go online, there are people that do it for car restoration. They tend to not like to do it. You see, you have to copper plate, then chrome plate the copper; if the zinc was pesting, then the likelihood is that it'll re-pest.

Do a search for zinc plating car restoration, or similar. That's what I did when I was looking for information on it myself. It seems like all the information is in the automobile forums, not the antique toy, or whatever forums.

Linuxguile and gorgo2 like this.
  17. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Wow. Nice!

Linuxguile likes this.
  18. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Why would one prefer a LC vs SC or vice versa? Anyone got a side by side pic available? Unfamiliar with both...

Linuxguile likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup, that's her. Nice handle too.

Linuxguile likes this.