Best of the Asian Razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_bird, Aug 29, 2011.

1. jay_bird

jay_bird Member

I noticed a lot of Asian made razors for sale online that are pretty inexpensive. Do you folks own some of them? (Big Roc, Ri Mei, Sheng Long, Hang Chao, Jemeish)

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Deffo do not be afraid to grab the Big Roc, aka Ming Shi! The Big Roc / Ming Shi is a very close shaving clone of the Gillette Red Tip. The Big Roc was my very first razor when I started in our shave hobby last year.

3. jay_bird

jay_bird Member

Good to know. Is it similar in quality to the Lord L6?

4. stingraysrock

Two completely different animals. But yes, IIRC, the Bic Roc TTO was of decent build quality as is the L6.

5. jay_bird

jay_bird Member

How so?

6. stingraysrock

L6 is a 3-piece, Big Roc / Ming Shi that I had was a TTO.

L6 lighter than the Big Roc.

Both are great razors for the money!

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Ming Shi also seems to be very similar in some ways to a 1950's Super Speed except for certain design details. I have another Asian razor called the Weishi, which is so mild that it would be perfect for a guy with a very light beard, but not good enough for somebody with a tough beard.

8. herzi

herzi Active Member

I have a MingShi at home that is a three piece razor with a long plastic handle. But I haven't tried it yet.

9. herzi

herzi Active Member

You guys made me so curious I tried the Ming She 3piece today. It#s a lightweight but the razor provided me a real nice shave.

10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a MingShi TTO razor. I find it quite nice actually. It has been giving me some very comfortable and close shaves. I like it.

Additionally, I have a Concord 3 piece razor that also works well. Very much like a Tech, maybe a tad more aggressive but nothing to worry about.

Not sure of the longevity of these razors. I'm pretty sure people will not be looking for them 50 years from now like we do now for vintage Gillettes/Schick's. But for now, they're good

11. joe.attaboy

joe.attaboy New Member

12. stingraysrock

I wish I could find another Big Roc. I was told that the razor was actually a Ming Shi. I have seen reviews on the Ming Shi and it is reported as a mild shave??? The one I had was stamped Big Roc on the doors and wow did that razor sing!