Best of the best

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by theshaver, Jul 1, 2011.

1. theshaver

theshaver Member

Ok, I have looked around and hopefully this hasn't been asked too many times.

If you had no worries about the money you spent on a puck of shave soap, what would you buy? Looking to try out something nice after this puck im using.

Ive use MWF and love it, im just feeling a bit frisky.

Thanks

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you ask 10 people, you will likely get a dozen different answers.

My tastes change on a regular basis, but to me, more expensive doesn't always mean best. The only soap I have purchased in bulk is the Arko Shave Stick. It is inexpensive and works great. I like the scent too, but I highly doubt anyone will crown it the best shaving soap. I really don't know.

Good luck on your quest.

California Cajun likes this.
  3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Since the FAT has been spoken for, my vote for 2nd place goes to the euro Palmolive stick. It is low cost, makes a scrumptous lather and quite frankly for a little stick lasts quite a long while.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Tabac
    TSD soaps

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've heard a lot of good things about AOS soaps, but I've never tried them.

The reason? COST. For me I can't justify $26 plus for a puck of soap when I KNOW TSD soaps smell great, lather up wonderful, and give great shaves at a fraction of the cost. I can get three TSD pucks for about the same cost.

No, if, as you say, money wasn't an issue.... I'd probably try it just to try it.

6. newb

newb Resident Newb

Tabac gets lots of praise. I've never used it, but I just got a puck and will try it out soon. But if cost was not a factor I'd go after some vintage Old Spice soap.

7. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

Martin de Candre

8. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Something triple milled...

9. MHDena

MHDena New Member

You can get AOS soap refills for $16 and creams for $12 when the AOS store has their $10 off coupons, they had one last month.

If there is a store near you make copies and get a few. Well worth it.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thanks for the tip. The closest AOS store for me is out at the King of Prussia Mall (just in case any NJ/PA folks didn't know). I don't get out that way much, but I'll have to try and remember to check it out next time we go.

11. Sir Swine

Sir Swine Member

Trumpers voilet and if money is no issue could you send me one to

12. theshaver

theshaver Member

Well, money isnt an issue in dream land. I was just wanting to see what was really good, maybe one day save up and get me some. Thanks

13. Picky

Picky New Member

I would crown it.I use some high-end soaps, one has a better scent but not the thick lather Arko produces, other soaps have both, but do not leave my skin so soft, other soaps have all of it, in some small way, bust cost a fortune...So why not, I would easily crown it.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My only high-priced soap at the present time is Golddachs Spezial. (25,00$ CDN) It has all the characteristics that I love. Great traditional scent, lathers super-rich like Arko, and gives good skincare. :)

15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I would get Kell's Original Hemp Blend or Prairie Creations Tallow and Lanolin. They are the best I have found so far, and also reasonably priced. If I was determined to spend a lot on a shaving soap simply because I could, Institut Karite and Tabac are very good soaps, but cost 3-4 times as much as Kell's and Prairie Creations. Martin de Candre is reputed to be a fine soap and is Ferrari expensive. The bowl will set one back nearly 50 Euros.

16. Picky

Picky New Member

Well, I got mine MDC soap from French friends who came on vacation ;-) I think I am interested in the two soaps you mentioned.Are they available in Europe, how can I find them ?

17. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

Absolutely... Although for how very very little I have to use to get a GREAT shave, it's not all that expensive, even with shipping...

A close second, however, is Provence Sante (I prefer the green tea scent, but the original scent isn't bad either) It's not a "at any cost" situation, however, as the stuff is really cheap at $10 a puck. (OK, not Arko cheap, but close, as a puck of it will probably outlast 5 sticks of Arko for me.)

If you are looking for something with a nice, light, hard to describe scent that gives a wonderful lather and doesn't happen to be French, La Toja shave stick is my go-to when I travel, and it handles hard water pretty darn well.

18. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I just have to say that what ever works for you well is the best.

Soaps and creams can change depending on water quality and such. Then many things also depend on your skin and hair type. Then of course personal preference.

So the best of the best is whatever products work the best for you. :D

I personally love so many I cannot name a best.

19. bc9

bc9 Member

My regular rotation includes Tabac, Cella, Razorock, Arko & vintage Williams (when I can find it). The Tabac is the most $$ wise, but the puck is large & seems to last forever. I'm very happy with the way these perform for me & there are so many more soaps to try that are the same or less money then the Tabac; I really don't have much of a desire to try anything more expensive...now, if my wife purchased MDC or something else as pricey as a gift, no problem...

20. Tuco

Tuco Member

Tabac, DR Harris.