Best Pizza

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Wishoot, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

In order to deflect some heat away from the ongoing struggle to determine if Aqua Velva is good or evil, I thought we should open debate on the best pizza.

So what is the best pizza? Chicago, New York, Detroit, Miami, Denver Dallas, LA....??

For me, it has to be Lou Malnati's in Chicago. The most buttery crust and the best cheese and peperoni I've ever had.

2. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Philadelphia :D

3. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Details please. I travel enough that I may actually try some of these places.

Thank you.

4. Will

Will Nevermind

I think he means Pizza Steak, from Pats. :happy102

Ray's NYC (the one on Prince st.) and Lombadi's is right around the corner.

Chicago is the "Second City" for a reason, second in dawgs and second in pizza. That being said Gino's East is the best in Chitown but is not a pizza, it is an Italian Cake or Loaf.

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

+1 on this actually. and pizza house in cranford. that place is the cats pajamas.

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

BJ's Brewhouse makes a pretty good pie -- and some damn fine microbrews!

:eatdrink004

7. Will

Will Nevermind

Thanks, I will check it out when I move to AZ.

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

All the pizza in new york is better than all the pizza everywhere else. I love the thin crust brick oven place down the road from my house. Martios. Mmmmmm good.

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Big +1

I have to say Grimaldi's Pizza in Brooklyn...John's Pizza in Time Square...and the Famiglia Pizza chain in NYC are great. But really just about any pizza pie shop here in the city is great.

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

The best pizza is handmade and stonebaked by cooks in small Italian restaurants. Just the dough with a hint of tomato sauce and rosemary on top or alternatively just garlic-oil and some herbs. That's a true pizza (pizza pane), that modern stuff that's laden with hundreds of things they put on top has nothing to do with pizza.

11. apswartz

apswartz New Member

+1000

12. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Agreed! Thin crunchy, chewy crust, a proper balance of cheese and sauce (or gravy;)) is what makes a good slice. Deep dish or whatever you want to call it is a casserole.

Same with dawgs. A good dawg only needs a one or two condiments to complement it. You don't need to build a freakin salad on top of the thing with a bunch of silly ingredients. IMHO...:D

Jordan

13. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I have to tell you... I spent a couple of weeks in Rome and Venice and did not enjoy that style of pizza at all. I'm sure my Americanized taste buds are to blame, but I found pizza in Italy to be rather bland and dry.

NOW, the other foods we sampled in Italy were simply beyond description. I have never eaten such flavorful food in my life. Food is truly an art form in Italy from the simplest corner cafe to the most expensive restaurant in Rome. Simply put, it was the best food I've ever had (pizza being the one exception). Italy’s cuisine is truly a culinary orgy to be savored.

14. The Zook

The Zook New Member

School pizza!

You remember... those rectangles of sausage pizza goodness? :D

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Welcome to TSD, Zook! And thanks for the traumatic childhood memory! :whacky011

16. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Ohhh...that was some good pizza. Welcome to the boards Zook

17. The Zook

The Zook New Member

Thanks guys!

I'll go work on a newbie intro... :think002

18. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

And another BIG +1 on John's Pizza on 44th. Right in the theater district a couple of short blocks from Times Square. Great pre-show meal. And they have Yuengling beer on tap!! Awesome!!

19. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Hey! The Zookster! Zookorama! The Zookmiester! Welcome to the Den!

20. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I went to Lombardi's once, as well as a couple of little shops in Brooklyn, so my experience with NY pizza is limited. I was not impressed. If Lombardi's is good NY pizza, I'll take Pizza Hut.