Best razor for a feather?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Greenstreet, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Greenstreet

Greenstreet New Member

After some months of DE shaving, I think my technique is pretty good. Overshaving my jawline still yields nicks, but basically, I can try any mystery blade safely.

I just ordered Feather blades. But now the question is what is the mildest razor for these sharpest blades?

I would list my favorite mild razors here, but I don't want to limit your answers.

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Rick loves the Superspeed with a Feather. My face gets irritated if I use a SS without ANY blade. YMMV.

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I don't know how anyone can use a Feather blade without cutting himself, no matter what razor it's in. Every time I used a Feather, the results were disastrous.

4. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I like them in the Gillette Adjustables and the HD. Love them in the Slant. The only razors that they haven't worked well for me in are the Gillette Open Combs.
    Of course: YMMV :)

5. Greenstreet

Greenstreet New Member

I'm getting the idea I will have to cork them. Sounds like my no-pressure, 1-pass fresh blade method won't handle a Feather.

6. For me they work best in a Feather Popular or Merkur Progess

Paul

7. I have had success with Barber Pole, Slant, and SS - I'm sure this is a big help ;)

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I wouldnt suggest corking anything. Eitherway though, every blade acts differently in every razor for every person. Thats 3 variables with hundreds of options in each.

Basicly you'll never know till you try.

9. Will

Will Nevermind

So do I.

Techs are pretty good with em too.

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

I've used those as well, also liked them in the EJ Georgian..they always get better for me after a shave or 2 :confused:

11. Hi Greenstreet,
    Giovanni had an interesting post about using a very mild razor with a feather and getting excellent results. He was using a Weishi (non adjustable), and thought the blade helped even out the razor's very gentle shaving characteristics. The Weishi gets some good reviews for build quality, so don't let the name put you off till you read some members thoughts on em. I have to say I do like their looks.
    Personally, I find my fatboy somehow tames the feather blades, which is something my slim doesn't do.
    Hope that helps,
    Martin
    Here's Gio's site if you want to look at those razors: http://www.razorandbrush.com

12. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I like a feather in a gillette tech as well. The tech razor is a a simple easy razor and does well with any blade I have put in it.

13. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath New Member

For me a feather works best in a Slant. That being said, feathers are too harsh for me: I always end up with razor burn.

14. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I used a feather in a tech a few minutes ago and my face feels very raw. Much more raw than when I used feathers in my HD. I'm thinking I just dont like feathers. I also dont particuarly like techs.

15. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I use a feather twist to open razor. It's the only DE I've ever used so I don't know if it's mild or what. And I use a one pass, no pressure shave method. Feather blades work fine with that method, although you have to be extra careful. Last package of Feathers, I reached a no-nick no razor burn proficiency.

So Feather blades do work well for some. It's just a matter of figuring out what works well for you.

16. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Whatever you do don't cork the blades. If these are too sharp for you find something else that works better for you. Removing the coating on the blade and making the edge dull is not what you want to do.

Raf

17. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I have owned many razors and tried many blades but........

1950-ish SS + Feather

still gives ME, my best shaves.
    Try a Feather in your favorite, least aggressive razor and see what you think.
    I like em in my Sticky (cause its a mild shaver) and the Weishi worked best for me when it had a Feather stuck in it, as well.
    Hated the Feather + Slant combo and dont like em in my RedTipped SS or Slim.
    So.
    There ya go :D

18. minderasr

minderasr Member

I use feathers in my merkur HD and that combo works great for me. I'd love to get my hands on a vision and give that a shot (with a feather).

19. one that is easy to remove blood from. :D

20. I agree - Wait till Hallween then put them in apples ! :eek: