best sandalwood

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Bjoerge Brathagen, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Paul, I don't know that I ever caught your review of the WSP Sandalwood. How was it?

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm trying to recall if I did one in the first place. Anyway, it's a nice soap. At WSP, Lee focuses on "manly" fragrances, thus he put more manliness into this sandalwood, cutting back on the floral aspect. The soap is packed right up to the top of the tin. Great feel on the face&neck. I'm happy to have it, but I think I'll choose his Tobacco or Mahogony fragrance next.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I know you've used that term before, but I guess I'm not sure what you mean. I've never smelled a "girly" sandalwood before. Most of them just smell like wood. Is TOBs what you are referring to? That one is more of a light scent, with not much of a woody note.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Well, that leads to what I always thought about sandalwood-that it was a solid masculine scent to begin with. No, I'm definitely talkinabout the WSP brand. I guess the point is, with WSP the wood scent is stronger.

Tdmsu and Norcalnewb like this.
  5. Opie

Opie Member

I just bought a bottle of AOS Sandalwood preshave oil. Sandalwood is my absolute favorite scent. There is a local soap maker who has offered to make me soap, but I have to buy the ingredients for a whole batch, and they are pricey.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  6. PickledNorthern

Way too many awesome sandalwoods out there to commit to a whole batch, IMO.

Opie likes this.
  7. Opie

Opie Member

That's kind of where I'm at. It would be about 25 bars of soap at like $6-8 a bar.

8. PickledNorthern

Uhm no. Not for me anyway. I would probably end up hating it long before it was gone. You were talking bath soap? Here's a favorite of mine, in the whole line of products:

https://www.stirlingsoap.com/sandalwood-bath/

Opie likes this.
  9. Opie

Opie Member

Yes, bath soap. I have shave soap from them too. It's not the best soap for shaving, but the smell is great. It's bergamot, bay, and cardamom.

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have recently gotten a bottle of Proraso Red, and I have to say I really enjoy the scent. Stirling Sandalwood is also very nice. I prefer both to TOBS Sandalwood.

Tdmsu likes this.
  11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I enjoy TOBS (I think they make the best cream sandalwood), original formula AOS tallow sandalwood (if you can find it), and Barrister and Mann Latha line sandalwood (which also has currant and amber).

The best cheapo sandalwood has to be proraso...but I just hate the residue it leaves.

12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Sandalwood is about the only scent I'll use -- I mostly prefer unscented soaps, though I'll usually try a vendor's sandalwood. Of the many sandalwoods I've tried, D.R. Harris is my favorite.

13. bleddybear

bleddybear Member

Fine Accoutrements Santal Absolut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The Proraso Red (sandalwood) after shave is very nice - I just bought it from West Coast Shaving.
    Fatboy Shave1.jpg

brit, ninjack and Norcalnewb like this.
  15. Opie

Opie Member

I use that same Nivea lotion. I love it. It has a little bit of a smell, but it doesn't interfere with whatever aftershave I want to use.

16. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Dr. Jon's has a few really good sandalwood blends.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

17. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I've tried a few other after shave balms - but I keep coming back to Nivea. Really feels good and as you say - it doesn't interfere with whatever after shave I want to use. Plus it's readily available.

18. brit

brit in a box

i like the red proraso pre,soap and splash.i have used arden men sandlewood as a cologne.smells similar after dry down. i have tobs soap and splash but haven used it often.the new newbie purchase....

ninjack likes this.
  19. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

Art of Shaving is numero uno for me