Beware Of Ebarbershop.com

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by commah, May 23, 2007.

1. commah

commah New Member

Normally, I'm a very understanding customer, and rarely complain if a product that I purchased takes an extra few days or something like that. One of the things I've come to appreciate with many of the online vendors is the outstanding customer service that's provided, the genuine concern for a customers opinions and appreciation for the product that they are selling. But, what happened to me recently with ebarbershop.com can not go unmentioned. I post this for any of you who may be considering purchasing something from ebarbershop.com in the future.

First, make note that they say they have been in businsess since 1999, as if to make you think that this is a business that is steeped in a long line of tradition and history. 1999 is really not that long, so don't let that fool you.

Now, here's what happened. As a fairly new wetshaver, I was advised to try Osage Rub after shave to get that cool minty tingling sensation post shave. I had used ebarbershop.com in the past to purchase an item that took two weeks to receive. Though it took a long time, I was willing to let that pass as it was my first experience with them and their explanation was the "holiday" season was causing delays. So, I went online on May 2nd to purchase the Osage Rub. I ordered it online and got an email the same day confirming my purchase. I got an email on May 4th saying that my item was shipped that day, and it would arrive "shortly". Their website states that I should receive the item within "5 business days of shipping", so I expected the product around May 10th.

I'm sure many of you have experienced that anticipation of waiting for the mail to arrive with your product, and you eagerly await the product that you purchased. May 10th came and went with no product. I wasn't thrilled, but chalked it down to bad luck in not receiving it that day. May 11th came, and again, no product. I was getting somewhat frustrated when it didn't come by the end of that week, so I emailed ebc and asked if my product was mailed.

They responded by saying it was shipped on May 11th, which is 10 days after I purchased it. As angry as I was, I was still content with the anticipation that my order should be here soon, but no later than May 15th. Nope, it never came. I emailed them and they told me that "they were at the mercy of the postal service" and that I should "be patient".

Well, May 21'st came and still no delivery!! Now, I was angry. I emailed them and told them that this was unacceptable. They again used a template response saying "be patient".

Well, here's where it gets interesting. I received a box on Tuesday, May 22nd, angry as hell, but still excited about finally getting the Osage Rub. I opened the box and look what was in it:

That's right, NOTHING!! I opened the box and inside was an empty bottle of Osage rub. 100% EMPTY!!!!! The plastic bottle had a slice from top to bottom, which I highly doubt occured as a result of the postal services handling of it. It was clearly shipped with a slight tear, and the high altitude intensified the slice and made it bigger.

Now I was outraged!!!! I emailed them with my experience and demanded an immediate replacement to be shipped overnight. This is what they wrote back:

I was absolutely SHOCKED at their response, and though I will not be the straw that breaks their back, I will NEVER purchase from them again. And, I encourage anyone here that's considering purchasing from them, to seek an alternate vendor.

Attached Files:

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I just dont shop their anymore because of the prices being out of hand.

I have purchased things long ago from them and I can not vouch on the shipping times (I was in Japan) however the packaging they sent it in was horrible, RE-used box and news paper. :mad:

But I am tempted to try their shaving soap.

3. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I've only ordered from them once, got a bunch of Menthol-related stuff (Lustray, Osage Rub, Stephan's Alpine, etc.) and shipping was within the normally expected time. Everything arrived intact, although it was just like Doc mentions -- reused shipping boxes and newspaper.

Maybe I just got lucky, but it seemed to arrived fine.

4. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply locally, you can get your Osage Rub there.

St. Croix

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. commah

commah New Member

I went to a Sally's a few miles from where I live, but they didn't have it. They had the Jeris hair tonic, Pinaud after shave lotion, but no Osage Rub!! What does a guy have to do to get some Osage Rub? :-(

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Sally's website says it's discontinued. Maybe if we all wrote to Target... :rofl

7. Will

Will Nevermind

8. paydepst

paydepst Member

Greetings all! First post in this particular wetshaving forum although I do see a few familiar cyber-faces! :D

I commiserate with your experience and I thank you for posting this. I have my own share of horror stories to relate as I'm sure anyone does that's been mailordering for awhile. I haven't ordered from EBS but had toyed with the idea in the past. Their prices put me off.

My major problems these days with mail order come down to USPS incompetence and their overpriced "don't give a damn" attitude as well as vendor lassitude and stupidity. Poor packing is an indefensible sin with me as it takes only a little extra time to do it right and I am paying for it after all!! :mad:

Thanks for the heads up!

ADDED: Whoa I just noticed that Commah has been banned and after only 26 posts. Something must have "osage rubbed" him the wrong way! :rofl:

Ahem...appreciate the information anyway.

9. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

any vendor worth their salt will know of the shipping problems that have been existing since Moses was eating wonderbread.... the good ones will make sure your order gets there in good shape.. and if struck by lighting or such, will replace the order.

I have only had a couple of unhappy customers.. frankly, I don't think there was a thing that I could do to make them happy, including offering them free booze and vacations with barber shop shaves... :: such is life.

There are a LOT of good vendors out there.. don't let a couple spoil sports get you down... the internet is still a great way to do business..

Bear Hugs!

otherstar likes this.
  10. Will

Will Nevermind

Yes I would like to file a complaint :rofl

11. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

File away baby... .whatcha need... :D

Edit... yer such a cheap date.... lol

12. Will

Will Nevermind

Homemade beer please :drool

13. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

In yer soap or in yer mouth.... :rofl

Edit.. MAN!!!!. I offer Guiness Stout and Bass Pale Ale... but NO! lmao!!!

14. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Not asking for the pizza as well? :whacky024

Clearly Aqua Velva levels are perilously low! 0.5 pints, thrown on subject, STAT!!

15. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Osmossis doesn't work as well on Doc as some of us regular folks..... he needs to try intravenous I believe... :rofl

16. Will

Will Nevermind

You are right, I just crashed from my Ahnerb High from last night.

17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I realize this thread is three years old, I was going to post a question about this same supplier, but figured I cannot be the only one with a bad experience so I searched the forum first just to make sure this had not already been covered and lo and behold; here is a that thread.

Anyway, although I have not ordered anything from them, I did have a look at their site just a few minutes ago and what blew my mind, nay, INFURIATED me is that they want $5.95 for ONE puck of Williams Mug Soap!

I saw that and high-tailed it back to Google. Totally unbelievable! WMS can be found for as little as .95 cents elsewhere.

P.S. - Osage Rub is at Appleton Barber Shop dot com for $4.40 and if you buy a bunch of stuff like I did, the shipping is a flat rate $10.00 for everything.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Not to be cruel but that original post was really funny. I mean the OP built up the anticipation of his Osage Rub arriving to such dizzying heights and then it arrives finally and the bottles empty. :happy102 Oh man.

19. LouisW

LouisW New Member

I'm a little shocked at all the venom that (Commah) had posted here about ebarbershop.com. I've actually been a customer of theirs for a few years now, and I've never had the problems he mentioned. I've ordered alot of different products from them, and I just think you had one odd experience. You really should give them another try! Every .com shop has hiccups, and I'm sure they wouldn't have sent you an empty bottle on purpose, that just makes no sense.

Sounds like he is one unhappy customer, and I can't blame anyone for being upset at an order not handled right... but you are clearly going out of your way to smear, and thats just plain unfair. When you mention that "1999 is really not that long, so don't let that fool you..." LET ME JUST SAY - Its really tough to be in business for one year and survive, let alone 12 years. I am a small business owner, and its a really tough world out there, so unless you're in business for yourself and you survive the first year (when most fail statistically), then you really should take it down a notch. People in glass houses...shouldn't throw stones.

As for their pricing, I think they're not bad either! Compare them to others online as I have, or if you drive to a store (and if you're going to spend $5 in gas to save a dollar) I think you can see they are competitive.

I'm a happy customer of theirs, and I would recommend their site and products to others looking for good, quality shave gear. I just bought a new DE razor and brush, couldn't be happier :)

- Louis

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    First off let me welcome you to The Shave Den, Louis! :signs046:

After re-reading this thread, Can't say I see any venom. I see an angry customer presenting a detailed report of his experience. No smear, no venom.

I'm glad you're experiences with the company in question have all been good, and that the USPS can manage to handle a package properly for 50 miles.

GDCarrington likes this.