Bic or Croma blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ninjack, Jun 29, 2016.

1. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Have been thinking about trying some new blades and was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these two blades I am looking at. The first are Bic Chrome Platinum blades made in Greece and the others are Croma Diamant blades made in Germany. I've been wanting to try them both and probably will eventually, but was wondering what some of the people who have tried them have to say about them. When I do get some I'll try and post a quick review of what I tried. Here are pictures I found on the internet of them.

bic-1.jpg
    croma-1.jpg

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Bic are my go-to first choice, having the best combination of smoothness and sharpness for my face, with my technique/soap/water/etc. I found the Croma to be slightly less sharp, ever-so-slightly less smooth (due to variance between blades), and more varied in quality control. Of course, what works for me may not work for you.

3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've used the Bic, and got a pretty good shave from them. They won't make me give up my Russians, but if I were limited to only Bics I could deal with it.

NCoxSTL and ninjack like this.
  4. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

I have yet to try the Bic's, although I have 100 of them. The Croma's worked well for me. I like them.

NCoxSTL and ninjack like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I used chromas a good while ago and liked them. They're probably in my top 5 or 7. Bics and I tho, didn't get along. Blades are very YMMV. So, while opinions are good, the only way you're going to know is by trying them. Maybe a sample pack would be helpful for you.

NCoxSTL and Terry Williams like this.
  6. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I've had a Croma in my New Type Long Comb for the last 4 shaves and it is working great. For me this is significant because I rarely get more than 3 shaves from any razor blade (except GSB). So, Croma gets my vote. I didn't like Bic all that much. They seem fine for shave #1, but fall off after that for me and leave me itchy (I've rotated them in about 3 times just to make sure).

NCoxSTL and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

I've tried the Bic blades and they are decent but not exceptionally smooth for me. I still have some and think they are decent blades but not in my top 5.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  8. ninjack

I went ahead and ordered a 5 pack of the BIC Chrome Platinum blades. I'll try them first and then try the Croma blades next. The Astra Superior Platinum blades have been my go-to blades since I started using a safety razor almost 3 years ago. The Astra's have worked better than the other blades I have tried for my sensitive skin, but lately I have been giving the Personna USA made blades another shot and they are doing great. I guess my technique has gotten better. The only blades that I have tried and not gotten a good shave from every time I use them are the SHARK blades.

The thrifty side of me says why buy 5 Bic blades for 4 dollars when you can buy 100 for 15 dollars. Of course I know that it would be unwise to purchase 100 before I know if I like them or not. I'll know soon. Thanks for all the feedback. I'll post something after trying them.

9. ninjack

Well, I got the 5 pack of Bic Chrome Platinum blades in last week to give a try after wondering about them for a couple of years (I'm a bit of a procrastinator). My first impression was I could feel a little resistance on the first pass. It was not uncomfortable, just didn't seem to be quite as smooth on the first pass as the Astra's or the Personna's. After the first pass, however the second and third passes were extremely smooth and comfortable. Also there was no irritation on my trouble spots on my neck where I usually have some slight red from the razors multiple passes.
    In fact, I have been using the same Bic blade for 5 shaves now and the blade has performed fantastically. I have to say I am very impressed with this first Bic blade and if I get the same great performance from the rest of the blades in the pack, I will order 100 of them and they will be my go to blade. I get a great shave with the Bic blade and no irritation. On my 5th shave with the same blade last night I switched to a Parker 96R TTO razor to try a more aggressive shave with the Bic blade and still had a great shave with it.
    The Bic blades exceeded my expectations. I'm very happy I tried them.

10. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

It's nice to hear some positive comments about the Bic blades here, they don't often get much love on TSD though I've always liked them. They are maybe a bit harsher and sharper than the Astra SPs and they always seem to be as good at the end of the week as they were at the beginning. Just finished out a week with one in my Futur.

ninjack and Robyflexx like this.
  11. ninjack

Yeah, when I think of Bic, I always think of the really cheap disposable razors. I had never experienced any of their other stuff, but I'm a believer in their de blades now. After trying some sampler packs of different brands and not really liking most of what I tried, I didn't have too much hope for the Bic's. I guess you don't know until you try. I'm glad I did.

Robyflexx and BigMike like this.
  12. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have tried and use both Bic and Croma blades. Both are decent in my book so you may want to see what works best for you.

ninjack likes this.
  13. SHAVEWIZARD420

Glad to hear the Bic blades have worked out well.

ninjack likes this.
  14. ninjack

Yes, I still want to try the Croma blades, too. If they work as good as the Bic's I could see using them on a regular basis.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Bic over Croma. By a landslide in my book. I have found Bic to be the best non-Russian blade out there so far.

BigMike and ninjack like this.
  16. SHAVEWIZARD420

Yea Croma blades are not bad, I just finished one off a few shaves ago. If I remember correctly the Bic blade seemed to have better longevity.

ninjack and Robyflexx like this.
  17. HUF

HUF Active Member

I am wondering if BIC disposables use essentially the same BIC blade.

18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've tried both.
    I liked the Croma, if memory serves. Three good shaves, then drop off.
    The Bic, was ok.
    Back then I was comparing everything to Persona labs. The labs were hard to beat.

DaltonGang and ninjack like this.