Big Water up front?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by NTR, May 18, 2019.

1. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I’m curious about this. Started out with a lot of water in my synthetic this morning - on Chiseled Face and plenty of it - and it bubbled up quick like soap suds. I knew I’d put plenty of soap in the bowl, so upon working it up, everything evened out into a huge, creamy (and yes, even yogurty) lather. Huge volume. But the shave was just ok, so I’m wondering if I compromised the lather up front by hydrating it so quickly? Did I compromise comfort and protection by getting the lather up so fast?

I’ve typically used a much dryer brush approach and adding water more slowly. This usually results in an under hydrated lather until I work it up over time. Using this approach I’ve dialed in my lathers pretty well. So what happened today surprised me. The lather seemed fine, but my face feel was sub-optimal. So maybe I broke down some principle components of the lather by hitting it with so much water to soon?

Or does that even matter?

Frijolero, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Hydration always matters. Each soap has a limit as to how much water it can take and still provide slickness and cushion. I have found that the best looking lather may not be the slickest. It's best to add a little water at a time when working up a good lather. The trick adding the right amount of water without going overboard. My lathers are NEVER super thick and creamy, but they are always slick and provide good cushion. Experimentation is the key.

Paul Turner, Frijolero and brit like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree here. Too often I think folks are looking for a "butter cream" lather. That is not needed. Add water a little at a time until you hit the slick point.

Frijolero, Terry and brit like this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:signs011:

Depending on the water hardness that can change, your water tempature, I don't use a thermometer so its different every time and how you load your brush, I don't use a set of scales to make it the same each time.
    So add a little water at a time till you get it right.
    The art of shaving is half the fun.
    To me anyway..
    Good luck!
    tp

Frijolero and brit like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am going to steal that quote. I agree with your post too.

Frijolero, Terry and brit like this.