BigD's Blackland Blackbird Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigD, Dec 18, 2019.

1. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

My review of the Blackland Razor Blackbird Razor Review

I’ve coveted this razor for over a year now. I kept talking myself out of purchasing this due to having the Rockwell 6S. I sat down and looked at the grander scheme of things in my life and figured it was worth the splurge to buy this. I am glad I did. I learned from my previous purchase of the Blackland Sabre to go ahead and get both base plates knowing if I just purchased one I’d eventually purchase the other. I had talked to Mr. Shane Swartzlander about the purchase. He mentioned that the Blackbird is extremely efficient, but not R41 efficient. I was mentally prepared for an R41 junior aggressive shave.

Pros;
    High quality build out of 303 SS
    Made in the USA
    Solid exacting machining
    Easy to clean and maintain
    Great knurling for a sure grip
    Efficient without being dangerously aggressive
    Great price for what you get (My opinion)
    Fantastic look
    Cons;
    Not for beginners
    Waiting for your razor to be made and shipped (Proof of the quality of the razor)
    First Shave
    Blade used
    Derby Premium (1)
    Soap
    Arko Puck Shave Soap
    Passes
    With the grain OC
    Across the grain SB
    Caddie Corner to the grain SB (From chin to upper ear)
    No pick ups needed
    Two nicks on the chin taken care of by an alum block

I was a bit nervous with this razor. Every review I had seen and read stated that this baby bites, and bites hard. Even Mr. Swartzlander mentioned that this was a more efficient design than the Sabre I had purchased earlier in 2019. He did mention that it was not as efficient as the R41. I’ve used the R41 and still have it. I haven’t been bitten by it, but I know you can really feel the blade with it. I rarely do a three pass shave with the R41, but use the R89 for my third pass when utilizing the beast.

My worries were unwarranted. Yes, it is an efficient razor, but it is not as scary as I was imagining. I went with the OC for my WTG pass. The XTG and Caddie Corner Pass were performed with the SB. I received two weepers under my chin. I am pretty sure they were two bug bites that are now smoothed down. So far I am more than happy with my purchase.
    [​IMG]

Second Shave
    Blade Used
    Derby Premium (2)
    Soap
    Stirling Soaps Agar
    Passes
    With the grain OC
    Across the grain SB
    No pick ups needed
    No nicks, cuts, or irritation

Great shave. The razor is very efficient. I’m loving every stroke of this razor.

Third Shave
    Blade Used
    Derby Premium (3)
    Soap
    Vintage Burma Shave
    Passes
    With the grain OC
    Across the grain OC
    No pick ups needed
    No nicks, cuts, or irritation

Due to time and lateness of shaving for the day I only performed a two pass shave with the OC plate. DFS without any muss or fuss. Very nice shave.
    [​IMG]

Fourth Shave
    Blade Used
    Derby Premium (4)
    Soap
    Captain’s Choice North Soap
    Passes
    With the grain OC
    Across the grain SB
    No pick ups needed
    One nick on my lip. My fault. In a hurry.

I was in hurry for this shave, and my lip was bitten. Nothing Gentleman Jon’s Alum Block couldn’t take care of, but still embarrassing. Other than that, a nice close shave. My next will be my Ender shave with the Derby Premium.
    [​IMG]

Fifth Shave
    Blade Used
    Derby Premium (5)
    Soap
    Modern Williams Mug Soap
    Passes
    With the grain OC
    Across the grain OC
    Underarms SB
    No pick ups needed
    Some weepers, nothing Gentleman Jon couldn’t handle

This was an ender shave. The Modern Williams was worked into a thick, slick, wonderful lather. I just couldn’t get enough. If the shave wasn’t already super smooth I would have gone for more passes. The razor was able to take care of my sensitive area (armpits) without issue.
    [​IMG]

My thoughts on the Blackbird;

As I had stated before I have coveted this wonderful razor for over a year now. Now that I have it I now wonder why I waited this long to make the dive. Such an enjoyable shave.

Though this razor isn’t R41 level of aggression, it will still bite if you aren’t paying attention. Is this better than my Rockwell 6S Jet Black? No, but very close. It’s now ranked up there with my Blackland Sabre. In other words I’ll fight you to the death if you try to take it. This is definitely in the rotation.

kjbarth, PLANofMAN, jluc and 3 others like this.
  2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

The Blackbird OC was my first DE. That was two years ago. The first shave with it after over 30 years of carts and electric razors was pretty brutal. I used it like a cartridge razor, too much pressure and too steep an angle. I think I was still bleeding when I ordered an EJ DE89 and styptic from Amazon. The EJ has been piffed and the Blackbird is a favorite in the rotation.

BigD likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You gotta remember, Shane uses Feathers or Personna med prep blades in his. I don't find it overly aggressive, just very sensitive to angle and pressure. It has the narrowest "sweet spot" of any razor I've ever used.

BigD likes this.
  4. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I like the Blackbird. It provides a different experience than any razor I’ve tried. I have the 70 mm handle and it fits the razor perfectly. I’m surprised the long handle was more popular.

BigD likes this.