Birth Year (1956) Loser Leaves Town Death Match

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jmudrick, Aug 25, 2019.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I don't really get the birth year thing, I've never sought out a razor on that basis. But as I do have these In the collection I thought a face-off would be fun.

So what we have here are a Gilllette Red Tip, a Gem G-Bar, a Schick I2 Hydro-Magic, and a PAL Injecto-Matic. All had been introduced somewhat earlier but were all on the shelves in 1956. (Progress , Gibbs Apollo , and Stahly I may get to later).

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Hembree likes this.
  3. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Nice. The hydro magic is my fave injector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, Hembree and brit like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Red Tip vs G-Bar.

This one was a surprise. I expected I would prefer the Gem shave and I did. I like the gentle but discernable blade feel and audible feedback of the G-Bar. It may not be quite as efficient as my beloved MMOC but it's still a very efficient razor. It's got a weirdo handle, reflecting somebody's idea of good ergonomics which I'm slowly getting used to.

The Red-Tip was one of the first DEs I bought, I sold when I started to get into the single edge world. But a friend PIF'd me another one so it gets another shot. This so called aggressive option still strikes me as too mild feeling for my taste. It has negligible blade feel and little feedback to help guide in optimizing angle and pressure. I don't enjoy shaving with it much. However, the results here were really really good. Where expected a fail going ATG on my head it did a very good job (fresh BIC CP). Not crying out for touch ups at all, though the cheek is a tiny bit smoother on the Gem side . I just wish it was more fun to use.

So this round goes to the G-Bar but the Red-Tip was not embarrassed in the performance department the way I anticipated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  5. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Should try a shovel head when you get the chance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hembree and Terry like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes I have but not a '56er

Hembree, brit and BambulanceMan like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Round Two: Schick I2 Hydro-Magic v. PAL Injecto-Matic

This went as I expected, the I2 is perfect in its handling but I prefer the more aggressive posture of the PAL. The edge in efficiency for the PAL gives it the nod. Schick Proline in both.[​IMG]

8. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Nice thread sir. I just got a g-bar awhile back from the 2019 traveling box. I’ll have to try it soon.

brit likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Why yes you should!

brit likes this.
  10. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Will do!

brit likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A couple more: Enders Speed v. Schick I1.

The Enders was in production for 20 years but this extra shiny racing stripe version of the Speed Shaver appears to have been introduced in '55.

The Schick I1 felt great until it got to the back of my head where the more aggressive setting on the Enders gave it great advantage.

Enders for the win. Admitted it's cheating to use a different exposure than stock but that's how I like it.

Schick Prolines.[​IMG]

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Progress v. Apollo Mikron. Progress is a later (early 70s I think) version with the metal guard. The original guard with the "55/56+ Progress -- good luck finding one -- you usually find cracked. Both these Zamak razors have held up well.

Both on mid-setting with fresh BIC. The Apollo feels smoother and milder, -- reminiscent of the Stahly-- the Progress offers more blade feel and audible feedback. Ultimately efficiency seems comparable. Given that I give the nod to the smoother Apollo.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Edison Carter, brit and Linuxguile like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gibbs Normal/BIC. Sometime between 1951 and 1956 Gibbs introduced this their third version of the Normal (+/-) razor. Easily spotted as the male/female fittings of the head are switched, the one appearing in the '56 catalog (pictured) being the missionary position head. For some reason the shave seems smoother and more efficient in the earlier versions. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

brit likes this.