Birth year razor help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Suhrim21, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I was born in 82. I really want birth year razors and quarter. On the bay they have a c3 black beauty. I don't like that it has plastic base plate but I know eventually I will buy one. What razors were made in 82 3rd quarter if that is available. I'm not necessarily looking for Gillette. I just want a nice birth year razor. Ideally I would love to have a DE a SE and a straight. But I also want to get my hands on every model I can from 82.

On a side note is there any way to find a straight that was made in 82?

brit and RyX like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Short and long handled black beauty, black handled super speed and the british G-1000.

brit and RyX like this.
  3. Suhrim21

Is that the only razors?

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The only ones from Gillette. I think the three-piece Gillette Tech was still being sold at that point under the 7 o'clock label. As far as birth 'era' razors go (Gillette is the only one who date coded their razors) you have the Schick injector and the Krona.

The Gillette Atra was in it's prime in 1982. For a cartridge system, it's one of the better ones. Gillette basically just re-released it as the "Skin Guard." Gillette's latest version of the Trac II.

RyX likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Kronas, I don't think were made beyond about 1976. Gem razors were only made up until 1979. For stuff sold in the US from 1980 up you have the Gillette Black Beauty aka super adjustable or Super Speed. For injectors you have the Schick razors specifically the ones collectors designate as type N.
    http://safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm

For stuff sold outside the US I wouldn't know and as far as straights goes try asking over in that section of the forum.

You could try resources like google books, archive.org or newspapers.com and do a search for catalogs, adverts etc. from 1982 and see what comes up.

RyX likes this.
  6. Suhrim21

Is the plastic base black beauty any good

7. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I have one dated 1978 and it's not bad. The plastic has no bearing on the shave performance. The plastic part is not the actual plate it's the part just under that moves with adjustments.

RyX likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They shave the same as the earlier Super 109 Adjustables aka the ones with the longer handles. Same deal with Super Speeds made from about 1977 and up all shave the same as long as they have the square shaped base plate they are for all practical purposes the same razor for the Super Speeds.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

For Collection purposes birth year razors are an idea. So do a set. For using get the variations you prefer. I'm a first quarter of '61 but after getting lucky finding Fat Boys I tested them side by side. Found I prefer the earlier made models, and there were differences for the several years they were made just like your era. I'm very happy with an E-4 (1959) because the two of them I've owned both shaved the same, and better than a B.Y.R. All the others, maybe a dozen, got traded to other folks who had the itch to try a Gillette 195.

Good luck on your hunt!

10. Suhrim21

Yea been thinking about it. And I do not collect. Everything I have I use. Razors were made to be used not collect dust

11. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

The 82 Super Speed (although towards the end of the 3rd gen production) will still give you a fine shave.

brit likes this.