birthday haul!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dr.Wybert, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Dr.Wybert

Dr.Wybert Member

Got to go to an antique mall today, and was able to get away with some loot.
    Not me best, but nice none the less. rps20130302_165215_304.jpg
    1 old canadian gillette razor from 1905, it had a broken box with some kind of tool in it.
    1 english made flare tip rocket, with bakelite case and blade holders. Made in the early 50's if i am not mistaken. Also with somekind of tool.
    Then I found the old spice shave mug with an odd shave brush. It's unmarked and the loft is odd shaped.
    I believe it's horsehair, but not sure.
    Now I just need to clean it all. Just not sure if my vinigar and salt will work on non-brass items.

Leo K., 178-bplatoon and srpavko like this.
  2. Ya gotta just love antique malls and junk shops! Some proprietors don't know what they have yet; others think they are sitting on a fortune... I have had a couple of nice "scores" in them; my best was a spooge-encrusted '61 Fat Boy in a Utah junk shop--cleaned up like a new penny, and shaves rather well! It took some time to "make friends" with this razor, but now it gets the lion's share of my shaves. I'm coveting your Rocket, BTW... :drool: Congrats, Dr., nice score!!

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool! Enjoy!!

4. Dr.Wybert

Dr.Wybert Member

I saw a beautiful shavekit from Wilkinson... but they wanted more then my budget allowed.it had holders for every day of the week and such. It had a few drool stains on it.lol

5. GarGuy

GarGuy Well-Known Member

The "tool" in the broken box looks like a rolls razor handle? Anyone have better insight??

Grant likes this.
  6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Happy birthday..good score..:happy088:

7. Dr.Wybert

Dr.Wybert Member

Yes I thought it looked like a handle to, or maybe something to remove blades with. Its different material then the razor.
    Baking soda and water works well. But I like to try and shine it up, anyone have suggestions on that?

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Flitz metal polish.

Dr.Wybert likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Active Member

It is a handle from a rolls razor

10. Dr.Wybert

Dr.Wybert Member

thanks, i noticed some later when i was looking at the rolls units...now i just wonder how it ended up with my razor.
    that's what intrigues me with antiques lol.

11. Novacula

Novacula Member

Thanks for a good laugh!

North Coast Viking likes this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Nice haul! And yes, it's a Rolls handle.

13. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Your old razor is silver plated but the finish is tarnished. If you do some searching you'll find a procedure for using a piece of aluminum foil and baking soda to remove that tarnish. Sorry, if I had a link to that procedure, I'd put it here but it shouldn't be too hard to find.