BJ Eyre Late Greaves & Sons Straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JR Reyes, Sep 9, 2018.

1. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

IMG_20180908_110507-1173x1173.jpg

I've got this big hunk of steel and am looking for more info. I measure 7/8 and guessing near wedge grind? Looks like significant hone wear, and any advice to help get it shave ready again would be appreciated.

Tdmsu, AGHisBBS, Zykris and 1 other person like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Two layers of tape, if it will take it. Then take it slow with the stones.
    If that doesnt work, then send it to @gssixgun , he might be able to do something. Possibly a slight regrind, as a last result.

gssixgun and Zykris like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Color the edge with a sharpie to help find the "Right" angle

Somebody has really been grinding on that poor baby :( the angle that is there now is not the right angle..

To be honest, when I see a razor like that I start with 5 layers of tape and a colored edge to see if there is a super tiny bevel available on the razor, if you can't get a nice tiny even bevel with less than 5 layers of tape IMHO it needs a re-grind..

I actually hate re-grinding these beautiful hunks of solid Sheffield steel unless they are really too far gone :(

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've tried several layers of tape, on some wedge blades, and there wasnt enough hollow(concave) surface to accept the tape. What do you do then??

5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Unfortunately a re-grind as a last resort, before calling it a dead razor :(

Are you getting the hint here that I really try not to regrind razors hehehe,,, seeing those heavy near wedges re-ground into a 1/4 or 1/2 hollow because people refuse to learn to hone correctly is sad

To be clear, some of these razors will still hold a decent edge at a 12° or less angle and some people still use them, to me there are just too many good razors out there

Figuring the angle

This is a Google-friendly equation to get the bevel angle, Google-friendly means that you simply copy the equation into the Google search bar with your measurements and hit "Enter" and you will get the accurate bevel angle

BTW it is generally an accepted known that the correct bevel angle is 16° +/- 1° sometimes referred to as the 4:1 grind

2 * asin(.180 / (2 * .845)) * 180) / pi =

The Green is the thickness of the spine at the grind line

The Red is the blade width from the edge to the grind line

The Grind Line = Where the hone touches the spine, this can become a difficult target on very worn spines sometimes you have to color them to find where it is at

Tape = on a 6/8 razor one layer of 3M 700 adds .67° of change to the bevel angle

We did a ton of this work back in 2009 looking at bevel angles to figure out why the old world masters had done things the way they did

Anyway a ton of minutea for those that like this stufff :D

DaltonGang likes this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Personally I’d send it to Glenn and let HIM pull his hair out;)

DaltonGang and JR Reyes like this.
  7. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

You can check strazors.com for exact info but my memory is that BJ Eyre was making those razors between 1850 and 1875

DaltonGang likes this.
  8. doc226

doc226 Member

I would measure the bevel angle and go from there, you can do some light sanding to remove the hone wear and have it look nice and then hone with tape.

I hate using more than one layer of tape unless the angle calls for it. Sometimes it will have a big bevel and have it shave well or a tiny nice bevel and shave horribly.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    RezDog and DaltonGang like this.