Black Beauty help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Birdie, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I finally found one, but I was a little to eager to get that I didn't give it good once over. After getting home I did the normal cleaning to get the funk off of them that's when I notice the handle did not turn to open it. So am I completed hosed or is there hope for this?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Did you soak it? That usually helps.

3. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I did. I can always let it sit longer. Any ideas on something else besides scrubbing bubbles?

4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Here is a link to taking apart a black super speed

RyX likes this.
  5. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Oh sweet thanks!

6. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Or try squeezing some WD40 on it, that should help.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I'll give it try

8. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

The Black Beauty is a little different. Do you have a Gillette Super Adjustable? Like this?
    _DSC7754 (1).jpg

Or, the Black Handled Superspeed as in the video link.

If you have the Super Adjustable, then here is a link to CAP's (VintageRazorRepair) video for disassembly.

However, this isn't really an exercise for the less handy or equipped of us. It is pretty easy to munge up one of these. I've done it and have the bag of parts to prove it. You might be handy, but you will also have to make or find tools. Especially, soft metal tools like brass, aluminum or mild steel rods. I've had to make a bunch of punches of different sizes, including grinding some diameter off of a few. The one thing about these videos that is very difficult is that CAP shows you how to remove the TTO knobs from various razors. Well let me tell you, there are two types of people that work on Gillette adjustables. Those who have destroyed a handle; and those who will destroy a handle. If you haven't ever done this (or anything like it; ball joints come to mind), then you will be lucky if you don't destroy the handle or the TTO knob. Grabbing the TTO knob with a vice-grip and a towel is a not a task to take trivially. I've come up with another way, but it still makes me nervous. But, your problem is that the TTO doesn't turn. Usually, that is a sign of corrosion inside the handle. Sometimes they can be saved; sometimes not. If you value your Gillette, then I wouldn't bother. My advice is to send your razor to CAP. He has restored some pretty hideously bad razors and turned them into fully functional beauties that are better than new.

RyX and twhite like this.
  9. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

It is the black super adjustable.

10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Have you tried barbicide? It can easily be found at a Sally's beauty supply or online, it's cheap, and it will clean just about anything. It has done wonders for me in the past.

11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Soak it in hot (not boiling) soapy water (dish soap + a little Scrubbing Bubbles) until the water cools. Work the knob a bit and, if it still doesn't work, reheat the water and soak it again. I've had to do this a couple times, even having to reheat the water 5-6 times. A last resort is Cap'n Murphy or Razor Emporium to fix it.

Be careful, the black aluminum handle is a bit fragile, don't scrub it.

12. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Thank you for all your help. I'll start off here at the house then go form there.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

When cleaning "precious" things, it is always best to start mild and go up frok there. @Herm2502 had a good recommendation above: start with hot water and soap. Next step is add scrubbing bubbles. Next step up is barbicide. After that it is time to seek the professional help (as a last resort)

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Best wishes with your BB.

15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'd probably try the WD-40 before the Barbicide, personally, though I suspect a long soak, hot soak will do wonders.

16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Barbicide is a disinfectant that has no real cleaning qualities. OK with that out of the way, the big problem with that razor is that the internal parts don't really drain well since there's only one little drain hole in the handle. Whatever soap residue accumulated over time has dried and hardened up. Soaking in hot water with a good detergent will work but could take days even weeks to break up the crud inside that handle. A ultrasonic cleaner can definitely help to speed the process along. Aggressive cleaning products can damage the aluminum handle and should be avoided. No bleach and no bathroom cleaners. The problem is that to overhaul it by taking it apart would probably cost more than it is worth. My advice is to keep soaking and rinsing it until it finally frees up. Some WD40 shot down into the handle couldn't hurt. Good luck!

17. Straight razor dandy

Dont get me wrong... I wouldnt leave in it in the barbicide for long periods, but it does break up gunk and corrosion.

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Birdie , any luck yet? I hope you can get it working. The BB is a nice razor.

19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I would consider soaking it in mineral oil overnight.

20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

My first step would be to remove the "plug" at the bottom of the handle. You're going to get better circulation with it removed. Don't lose it. That's an aluminum handle and may be corroded shut and not simply gunked up. If it's really bad, depending upon what I had paid for it, it may be bin fodder. If it's not too bad, I'm going to soak it in dawn and water for a loooong time, like a week. Every day I'd give it a gentle twist back and forth for about thirty seconds to see if there's any progress. It will loosen up after a while. IMO, the Super Adjustable is a poor candidate for professional help because of the aluminum handle.

PLANofMAN and Redfisher like this.