Black handle Super Speed: Tell me about it

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sas71, Feb 16, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

ive got a '65 reg SS (gap .58mm) and noticed that the black handled SS's have a blade gap of .64mm and was wondering if i wanted to go up a notch in the aggressive department would the black handled SS be a good choice?

PS
    i know just get an adjustable...and i plain to :D

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Sounds good to me, but maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

You check the blade gap? I just drop in a blade, shave, and then decide if it's the razor for me. :D

Okay, I'm the wrong person to respond here, because I believe everything boils down to technique and that you should be able to get a quality shave from any razor. Remember, that's just MY way of thinking.

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The gaps are nice for a reference but they really don't tell you how a particular razor or family or razors will perform. Having said that I don't think I've ever tried a black handle Super Speed.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

You know what? Neither have I. I owned one once, but I never used it and then sold it to a member here. I kind of wish I would have kept it because it was an "A" date code (1980), which is kind of uncommon.

6. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I found an f 4 at an antique store awhile ago. What's the year on that one?
    I'd try it out, it but this is Rocket week :D

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Really? That would be a 1985 model -- nice pick up!

8. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Cool, thanks for the date code deciphering.
    It's one of my first antique finds.

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

1985 is hardly an antique! Careful there are old people around that may take offense.

10. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Ummm, I meant antique STORE finds. :D

11. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Hey! Who you calling old, fish boy?

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

See I told ya. :happy102

13. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I see ya'll's got some histories. :signs108

14. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Oh... I have NOS A3...

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Really? Did those come in a blister pack?

16. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Yup... Took me a day and a half to identify the datecode :) Don't know where I have put my camera, but as soon as I find it I'll post a pic...

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Ah, so it remains unopened?

18. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Yeah, I never got around to open it ;) Seems like the black handled SS's are still a mystery performancewise :p

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I have a 73 (T2) model that I shaved with once - but that was over a month ago and I was testing a cream that I hadn't used before. Too many variables at once so I can' say how much of the shave was the razor and how much was the cream. As I recall, it shaved better than the flair tip SS. However, my technique has probably improved since I last used SS and maybe that is why the shave was better. But anyway.. from memory, I would put its shave on par with the original 40's style SS. I still prefer my open-comb 3 piece razors. But for an SS it wasn't bad.

20. Ecosse

Ecosse New Member

I have a '56 SS and a '74 black handle. They are both very similar but the black handle is definitely more aggressive, but not by much. To me its a better 'more aggressive' (if that makes sense) than dialing up a slim up to '7' or '9'. Kind of hard to explain but just nicely shaves a bit extra off. The '74 can give me a closer shave, but better chance for nicks. The '56 feels more solid in my hand (more metal) so that one is my current go to razor.