Black Opal antique store find and renewal

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by cpool222, Dec 21, 2021.

1. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I recently found this beat up old Opal brand vintage brush at a small-town antique store. After taking a second glance at it, I felt like I saw a diamond in the rough, so I bought it. The second picture is after I de-knotted it and polished it up and then I added an AP Shaving Tuxedo knot. I shaved with it the first time this morning and was very impressed with the knot. Hope y'all enjoy the pics and are encouraged to salvage some old brushes when you see that even a non-talented fix-it guy like me can do it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I had one just like it. The top of the opening had tiny cracks, so I opened it up for a larger knot. Worked out fine.

Ijustmissedthe50s and cpool222 like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sharp!

Hembree and cpool222 like this.
  4. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

Beautiful! I have one vintage brush that needs a new knot. I'm probably going to use it as my guinea pig since I have no clue what I'm doing. I'd like to think that I could find old, unloved handles and bring them back to life.

5. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

That's great! Be sure and take pictures when you do it. There are a few good how-to videos on YouTube that helped me the first time. All I have is a Dremel, so some of the videos weren't helpful to me if they had much more complicated machinery than I have.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Hembree like this.