Black tip acquired but can't close the movement

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Recklesstr, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

The title speaks itself. There were no explanation on the shopping page and I took the risk by blind buying online. I received the razor in an open situation. I can't close it. I can't move an inch by turning the black tip. It looks like it stucked. The razor was covered in scum. I boiled it for 9 minutes, lots of its scum disappeared but still no improvement in the movement. Any suggestion is welcomed. Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

theFAT98 likes this.
  2. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I would next soak it overnight in Dawn, and hot water, then try to turn it. If that doesn't work I would soak it is some WD40. Good luck!

Maestro and Recklesstr like this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Soak it overnight in liquid dish soap. You an probably soak it in scrubbing bubbles too.

Recklesstr likes this.
  4. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Thank you for your advices. I'll do what you suggested this evening and also I'll buy a can of WD40 tomorrow and I hope these will turn it on.

5. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

Is there a small piece of the handle missing or am I looking at the photo wrong?? just above knob?

6. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

That's right. A tiny part of the handle is mising. Either dropped or somebody carved it with a tool.

7. R.D.Nelson

shouldn't be an issue unless you here it rattle in razor, unless it is lodged inside against the movement rod.

Recklesstr likes this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Too late to send back?

Recklesstr likes this.
  9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I would soak it in Liquid Wrench rather than WD40. If Liquid Wrench doesn't free it up then there has to be a mechanical issue.

Recklesstr likes this.
  10. R.D.Nelson

not sure liquid wrench won't hurt the finish, never used it

Recklesstr likes this.
  11. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Thank you all for your guidance! I really appreciated. I'm glad I'm a part of this great family :) When I woke up this morning I went to the bathroom and checked it out but there is no progress in the movement. I can see some scum around the top movement's connection and I can't clean it as it's too tight. I'll try one more time with wd40 then if I fail I'll return the razor.
    No, I can send it back till Tuesday but I let the seller know the situation and he has to take it back as I bought it online from Ebay Turkey.
    I can't find Liquid Wrench here all I can do is to go and buy a wd40. I looked at the website of LW and I must admit it has a wide range of use and a miracle product but impossible to find it in my country right now. Maybe I can find a similar product but it will be a trouble for me.

12. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Mine was really rusty and didn't want to open. I soaked it in a degreaser for a day and then used oil on all the parts. Wd 40 would do the same thing.

If that doesn't work then it must be broken.

Recklesstr likes this.
  13. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Thank you everyone for your support. I contacted with the seller and he returned my money back immediately. Problem solved in a way. The mechanism was really problematic and WD-40 didn't do anything unfortunately.

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Sorry it didn't work out, but I am glad you got your money back.

Recklesstr likes this.
  15. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Thank you!

16. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

:signs011: especially on the WD40. As a side note, I give my TTOs and adjustables a shot of WD40 every couple months or so....keeps the mechanics smooth.

Ed

17. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Sorry it didn't work out. Good luck finding a replacement razor.

Recklesstr likes this.
  18. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Thank you! I hope I'll. :)

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    There are more out there. Too bad you couldn't bring this one back to life.

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My thought was to dismantle it and clean it but too late now

Recklesstr likes this.