Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

I've used a Nacet, Voskhod and Polsilver SI and gotten terrific shaves.

ShaneS, Troy M, fdce54 and 1 other person like this.
  2. fdce54

fdce54 Member

Great feedback. I'll work on the angle.

ShaneS, PLANofMAN, MattCB and 2 others like this.
  3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

The closest shave I've had with the Blackbird was with a Feather HS. That will be my go to blade.

4. Boojum1

:signs011: +1

5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]
    This blackbird is a fantastic head shaving razor! Tonight was my 4th head shave with it and the results were outstanding.

BeShaved, Boojum1, ShaneS and 3 others like this.
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:signs154:

Troy M likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That is a stellar photo

Robyflexx, Troy M and ShaneS like this.
  8. Troy M

Thank you. Iphone 5s, minimal post processing.

PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Number six

Ran with a Feather today. It already had a shave on it, but the Blackbird tamed it... much to my surprise. It was so smooth I got a little carried away and got a tiny weeper. I think the Feather really needs to have the blade held very firmly and the 'Bird was up to the task.

PLANofMAN, Troy M, ShaneS and 2 others like this.
  10. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Well done! Feathers tear me up.

Troy M, Robyflexx and clint64 like this.
  11. Number six

I have denim stropped the Feather for use in some razors and it's actually made a difference. Of course the Feather seems to be the most discriminating blade.
    Today's shave was pretty amazing.
    The fact that it worked well in the Blackbird speaks to the Blackbird's ability to "control" the blade. I also like the Feather in my BBS-1.

12. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

My Blackbird arrived today and I was able to give it a quick whirl with a Spoiler and must admit that I am very impressed with this razor. It's as aggressive a razor as I can use on my face and shaves as well as a slant.

I treated the razor as if it were an SE and had no problems with using it. I couldn't notice any sharp edges on the baseplate and don't think that this part of the razor needs to be modified at all. It's as well made as an ATT razor and everything fitted together with great precision.

In essence, this is a DE razor that behaves like an SE and gives a shave akin to a slant - it's very well designed and put together. I now finally understand why it comes with a straw-based packing material in a metal tin as well - it literally is like a bird in its own little nest.

This is something of a special razor and deserves to be a big success. I like it so much that I snapped a second one up on a BST of another forum I'm a member of. This is a truly great razor and I can't wait to see how well it performs in the head-shaving role tomorrow. :)

BeShaved, clint64, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    We are now up to twenty confirmed owners of Blackbirds on TSD.

BeShaved, Robyflexx and ShaneS like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have been traveling for work for a couple of weeks, and haven't been near my den until last night. The last week I completely skipped shaving because we were working on a project outdoors in -25 F weather, and the whiskers just help keep the face warm. :)

The Blackbird and a second use Feather took that week's worth off like it wasn't there, and left my face perfect. Again.

I have only had seven shaves or so with this razor, but after picking it up again after a couple of weeks away, some things were confirmed:

This razor shaves my face closely in a way that only a handful of other DEs have: the 2013 R41, the ATT H2, the Ikon Tech and the Merkur Futur.

It is extremely easy on my lower neck, which says a lot, because I have whiskers that grow flat to my neck and straight up. The only way to get BBS without irritation there is to go (at a minimum) 3/4 ATG from two different directions, like an X pattern. This is the only razor I own that can shave this close and do that days in a row, without causing irritation after a few days.

I am finding that for me, the sharper the blade, the more, I enjoy the razor. This razor needs to be used with zero pressure, and a sharp blade helps me do this.

In terms of quality, this razor can hold its head up with anything I own or have owned, and this includes ATT, Wolfman or Ikon.

I know this is sort of a repeat of things I have written before, but after walking away from it for a couple of weeks, it was kind of fun to revisit.

Trying to be objective, here is my first criticism: I generally face lather, but because of taking off the beard, I knew I was going to need a ton of lather on that first pass, and mixed up a giant bowl of super lather. The cream I used is one of those that tends to leave that white filmy residue on a guy's hardware, and that film gets all over inside the fluting of the handle. I had to brush it off to clean the handle. There.

BeShaved, MattCB, PLANofMAN and 6 others like this.
  15. Boojum1

Friday, January 22, 2016

Pre: Hot Shower, Mr Glo Soap, ColdRinse, CL Pre-Shave Butter
    Soap: MDC Original
    Brush: Druida Aluminum Chubby
    Razor: Blackland Blackbird
    Blade: Feather #2
    Post: Alum, Witch Hazel +Menthol, Whipped Shea Butter, Fine Platinum

BB3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    BeShaved, PLANofMAN, Troy M and 4 others like this.
  16. Troy M

[​IMG]

Just another day with an outstanding shave from my Blackbird.

17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

So when can we order up the open comb? ;)

PLANofMAN, ShaneS and Troy M like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Had an "old school" shave today and used some items that I hadn't used in months...with the exception of the razor and aftershave.

Razor: Blackbird, naturally.
    I've been using the blackened one non-stop, wondering how long it will take to look, ah, well used. :)
    Blade: Feather.
    Surprisingly good. I swiped it out of another of my razors with an unknown number of shaves on it.
    Soap: Van Der Hagen.
    Often a hit or miss soap for me.
    Brush: Semogue 830 Boar.
    Lathered VdH perfectly today.
    Rub Down: Pinaud Clubman.
    Didn't feel quite as bracing as when I used it on yesterday's three pass ATG shave.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  19. Boojum1

IMG_0098.jpg
    Blackbird Lust​

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Boojum1, ShaneS and Robyflexx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.