Blade Carrier for Enders Speed Shaver

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I posted this information across the street, but I wanted to share it here, too.

I had made a blade carrier for my Enders using an old Enders blade. I took off about half the bevel and created "bumps" using JB Weld epoxy. Here are some pictures.

1. I lined up a blade so it would have the proper exposure. I taped it to the Enders blade.
    bladecarrier01.JPG

2. I mixed the JB Weld and applied it to the holes.
    bladecarrier02.JPG

3. After letting it dry a bit, I removed the blade.
    bladecarrier03.JPG

4. I cleaned up the edges of the bumps.
    bladecarrier04.JPG

5. I used my Dremel to lower the bumps so they would be about the height of the blade thickness.
    bladecarrier05.JPG

6. I did a test fit. Everything looks great.
    bladecarrier06.JPG

Monday, I had an idea that I executed. My thought was to take an injector blade and use it as a backer for the shaving blade. I had to grind down the injector blade so it would back up to the other blade and be flush with the Enders blade. Then I super glued the back up blade to the Enders blade.

1. Here is what I started with.
    IMG_0643.JPG

2. Here I have the backer blade in place. I had to take a bit off to make it more flush.
    IMG_0644.JPG

3. Here I have super glued the blade to the Enders.
    IMG_0645.JPG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    PatrickA51, BBS, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This is the carrier with a new Personna blade ready to load.
    bladecarrier10.JPG

Here the blade is loaded and ready to shave.
    bladecarrier11.JPG

Next, for your enjoyment, I have a video of my new blade carrier.

PatrickA51, gorgo2, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

That's a good idea. I've always thought if it would be possible to stamp or punch an Enders blade to make tabs to hold an injector blade to the Enders blade.

cliffb599, RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  4. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Great Work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayaruh likes this.
  5. RFBNEW

RFBNEW Well-Known Member

A fantastic job!! Someone should bring this to market!

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That is a neat little rig, simple and ingenious.

I was thinking about making a mold along the similar lines using JB water weld putty using an enders and injector blade then one with an enders and despined gem blade. If this doesn't work out I am going to make a holder just like yours instead to use the Enders razor I have.

Thanks for sharing.

7. RFBNEW

RFBNEW Well-Known Member

I purchased a pack of 5 blade. It is on the way to a fowarding company. I already have a couple of Enders from a lot purchase. Cant wait to try the razor with a Proline blade

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The water weld won't work since you can't work it thin enough without it cracking. Here is my attempt at a shim. I did this by eye with quick steel but the next time I would do it the following way.

1. square the blade edges using a T first before taping together and onto something. I taped both after laying the schick blade on top and eyeballing the blade edges onto a piece of wood.

2. Mix quick steel and apply like bondo or fixing drywall, make sure you cover completely over the injector holes. Let it sit about 5 minutes or so then remove the blade from the enders blade by lifting the tape and then clean any excess of the enders blade. If you let it sit another 20 or so minutes until slightly rubbery you can peel the quick steel off the schick blade and reuse it. It has a coating on it that keeps it from bonding.

3. Wait until hardened then carefully hand file until an injector blade will sit flush on the enders blade and also file off any high spots above the blade.

4. Remove the blade edge on the enders blade to turn it into a shim and it is ready to go.

Once you get the angle correct to load the blade and hold both between thumb and forefinger loading you can pop the shim/blade combo in and out without it moving off those injector tabs made of quick steel.

enders1.jpg enders2.jpg enders3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    gorgo2 and brit like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Jararuh's blade carrier idea is a excellent idea to revive this old Enders speed razor and now I can use these Schick proline B-20 blades that I was going to use in my injectors after finding they are meant for Shavettes .
    This is my Enders blade Carrier and it works very well. I had to revise my first attempt and the 2nd tweak worked out very well.
    The setting below at .6oo thousands of a inch seems to very nice on the aggression scale of 1-10, I would give it a 5-5.5 and it seems to be a sweet spot for myself.

1 st- thought better take some quick measurements before I blunt the only Enders blade I have, it came with the Enders speed razor. Enders 5 (2).jpg

2nd- I figured I would scribe a reference line on both sides of the old Enders blade if I decide to make a 2 sided carrier. Enders 4 (2).jpg

3rd - I had some JB Weld Marine grade appoxy from fixing other razors over the last year. What I did is apply the appoxy and scraped the excess off and let it dry for 1.5 hrs and then carefully lift blade out of its slightly gelled state starting at one end and lifting . Enders 1.2 (2).jpg Enders 2 (2).jpg

The setting For new blade exposure width was factoring into wear and age and doing a preliminary test of blade exposure with the old blade installed in Enders razor and decided to add approx .010 giving me a width of new blade of .600 +- .001 thousands. Enders 1.8_LI (2).jpg Enders 1.555_LI.jpg

This is what it looks like when finished, B-20 blade is still a tight fit in the razor but with a little filing of high spot in corner of razor receiver.(Not a good idea to upset the chrome finish but it is inconspicuous spot and the razor is useless with out a sharp blade edge). Enders 1.1 (2).jpg The front edge has been blunted back approx 1/16 of a inch.

I also did a revision 2 on the blade carrier and that was also easy to implement.
    Enders blade Tweak 3 (2).jpg this also secures the blade a little better IMO. (not sure it's necessary but I like to tinker.)

Had a couple of shaves already and it gives a nice shave with results in the CCS,DFS,BBS range with not much for blade chatter and that was surprising for me. Once the carrier is made it's a simple task to install the blades, I left the other side of carrier blank for now and might make a less aggressive version but this setting is very workable with stellar results.
    Enders speed razor-MFG 1930's-40's (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    gorgo2 and brit like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

This hack is for the convenience of not having to dial in exposure every time you load a Proline, but it's not necessary as a trimmed unwelded Enders blade secures the Proline just fine. I just draw a sharpie line on the tray before changing blades to reproduce the exposure setting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit, Ron R and jimjo1031 like this.