Blade comments?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Old School, May 3, 2013.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Well I understand YMMV when it comes to blades, but I'm still looking for input. I was recently gifted an assortment of blades, most of which will likely wind up in a PIF. I don't know where to start, so the list is below and I welcome your comments :) Looking at them now, I'll likely start w/the Dorco as I want to try to re-use the plastic blade container they come in!

2x Persona Platinum 5 pack
    Dorco "New Platinum" stainless blade 5 pack
    Treet Dura Sharp 10 pack
    Treet Platinum Super Stainless 10 pack
    Crown Super Stainless 10 pack
    Trig Silver Edge Stainless 10 pack

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The only one of those, that I have tried is Personna. I found them dreadfully irritating, as did my husband. (Neither one of us could even finish a single shave with one.) But lots of folks love them, so judge for yourself.

3. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

You really will need to try them to see what works for you, but as far as my experiences are concerned these are my impressions: With the Dorcos it will depend on whether they are the 300s or the 301s. I am OK with the 300s, but much prefer the 301s. Most folks absolutely hate the 300s, but like the 301s. I haven't had good luck with the Treet Platinums, but the Treet Dura Sharp are fairly nice. The Personnas are OK (the Personna "Lab" blues are amazing). The Crowns are OK, but are a bit bitey. I haven't tried the Trigs.

4. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

No experience with those, but just wanted to suggest taking notes (or adding your thoughts in this thread) as you try each brand. After a while they get confusing, esp since so many blade names are super extra mega platinum premium new uber sharp most-likely-to-succeed...

5. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Well the Dorco's are 301s. I recognize you may need a few shaves to adjust to a new blade, but that hasn't been my previous experience trying differant blades. I've never had a worse shave. 2 passes with the usual hot shower, pre shave oil and lather and I was extremely irritated. I didn't attempt a 3rd pass and visibly appear to still need a shave! I'll try another Dorco blade in the AM, but have a feeling these will be permanently shelved.

6. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

That's funny! Personna Platinum are the only ones that really work for me! :) This is the perfect example of YMMV! ;)

For the OP, just put 'em in a bag and take one out blindly.

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I agree about just picking one. In my experimenting phase, I had lots of help fro my friends Eenie, Meenie, Miney & Moe.

Peter Allen likes this.
  8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Treet Durasharp Carbon blades are one of my favs, very sharp and smooth. If the Personna blades are Red IP's then those are a fav as well.