Blade question regarding shaving legs

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by Lara Croft, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Lara Croft

Lara Croft New Member

I was reading the thread on blade recommendations for woman's razors. I've tried 3 different blades now: Red Personnas, 7 o'clocks and Derby. My favorite is Derby so far but I thought they all did a great job. I'll probably eventually try the Crystals and Sharps that were recommended.

I was just curious...

Has any women on here tried feathers. My husband says those are only for really experience DE shavers....is that true for woman's legs also? I'm sure the knees and ankles can be dangerous but what about the rest? What do you think?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Yes, I've tried Feathers. They are the only other blades I will use, besides Sharps. That doesn't mean I won't test other blades, but I just never seem to go back to any of those.

But the Sharps do great for me, so I don't tend to bother wasting a Feather.

I think anyone can shave with a Feather. As long as they pay attention to the shave.

3. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Hi Lara,

I know I'm a man but before I tried a Feather on my face, I read all the horror stories and was pretty scared. Guess what. Showing the same respect for a Feather, as I would any blade, I got a close no nick, no cut shave. The only reason I don't use a Feather more often is they don't last as long as other favorites that also give me close shaves.

Have you tried Astra Superior Platinum blades yet? I used them for the first time last week and was extremely impressed by them.

Again, I'm sorry this isn't from a woman's point of view but I hope it helps. :o

4. Lara Croft

Lara Croft New Member

Thanks for the input. I think I'll give the feathers a try since I have them. I'll just be a little more careful. I saw some of those horror stories but I never saw any written by a woman. I think I'm going to buy a small pack of Sharps too. And hopefully then I can pick a favorite and order a large pack to save some money.

5. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

Again, not a woman here - but I was impressed enough by the Astra Superior Platinums to make a multi-year purchase of them - mostly because every time I think "I like this blade" they go out of production... although now I bought a large heap, they'll be in production for the next millennium :rolleyes:

6. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I use Feathers in my long tooth Gillette NEW, The Astra Superior Platinum in the short tooth version of the same type razor all with excellent results.

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

sorry, I am a dude, but my wife primarily uses Red Personas, but tried a 7 O'clock sharp edge (yellow pack) a couple times and thought it was really smooth. What 7 o'clocks did you try?

As far as Feathers go, they are very sharp, but like my dad always said, a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. I was afraid to try Feathers because of their reputation, but found them to be great shavers, and nothing to be afraid of. If you would like to try a few different kinds of blades shoot me a PM with your address and I will throw some in an envelope for you. I am not sure if I have Feathers anymore, but I am sure I have a few you haven't tried.

8. Lara Croft

Lara Croft New Member

I'm not sure which 7 o'clock it was. My husband finished the pack. He thinks it was orange...is that possible?

9. Queen of Blades

Nope. Black, Green, or Yellow packs only.

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Lara, I admire you, because me, I cannot use Feathers for shaving. Yes, my beard is very heavy and strong, but my skin is fragile. The last time I tried shaving with a Feather, I made a massacre of me.

Pardon my bad English! :ashamed001 :ashamed001

11. Lara Croft

Lara Croft New Member

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully I'll have better luck. My husband hasn't tried a feather yet He's scared that he'll cut himself up. He's got a very coarse beard too. When I get around to trying a feather I'll let you know how it goes.

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My good friend who is a vendor, and he cannot use them either often! :happy102

13. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Good luck, Lara. I think you'll be okay. ;)

14. rickboone

rickboone Member

Where do you get Sharps?

Why say wasting a Feather? It's not as if they're overly expensive or in short supply. The choice of words confuses me.

I'm no expert at all on blades. I have a few feathers that came as samples. Typically, I'd assume samples are geared towards a beginner, as we don't have a clue what we'll like nor where to start. But if they're included, I'll assume not a ton of experience is needed. Just caution perhaps.

I've tried the Astra. I'm too inexperieced to form an opinion. Those weren't my favorite at this point, but who knows later on down the road. ?

15. Queen of Blades

I get Sharps from my store supplier, as I sell them, too.

Feathers are expensive in comparison to Sharps. Sharps do a great job, why should I waste time and money on a Feather?

As for samplers, well they are just that; samplers. Feathers are one of the top talked about blades. People want to try them. Stands to reason they'd be included in a fair number of samplers. Most people do think experience is required with a Feather. I don't. I think a understanding of respect for any blade is the only requirement for trying any blade, including Feathers.

16. rickboone

rickboone Member

Well, I would like to buy some or at least get a sample to try.

Makes sense.

Are you the one that makes the TSD stuff? Is that the only place you sell your stuff if that is you?

And, are the blades sold on there as well?

I've read a lot of women, including yourself, giving the SHARPS brand a good name. Are these primarlily for women?

17. Queen of Blades

Yes. Yes.

Yes.

No.

18. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

SHARP blades aren't designed specifically for women, but I think that in practice they're used by at least as many women as men. That, despite the much larger number of male wet shavers. They are far to mild to shave my face, but acceptable for head shaving (barely). I think it has to do with the different blade properties that are need for the places women shave compared to shaving a face.

Now, I'm thinking about a German lady that used to come into a resteraunt I worked at in high school. She was a former German athelete when she was younger and was force to take large doses of seroids and one of the side effects was much more hair, including facial hair later in life. She shaved her face and you really noticed when she skipped a day! At least the bottomless cups of coffee made her happy.

19. krissy

krissy New Member

As a female I find i get a really good shave with the derby blades, so I don't feel I need to go on a quest of testing others when I can get an very smooth, nick free shave with the derby.

20. allay

allay New Member

Lara,

Have you considered a Lady Eversharp injector razor by Schick? I bought one for my skeptical daughter for shaving her legs and armspits, and she fell in love with it and has converted four of her friends. She buys them on e-bay and gives to her friends as presents. Less than $20