Blade recommendations for the Gillette Fat Boy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by myles wilson, Jan 24, 2021.

1. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

I just recently received a Gillette Fat Boy and have been shaving with it. I decided to use a voskhod blade in it as voskhods are my favorite blade, however I found that blade wayyy too mild for the Fat Boy. Even on the highest dial, I cannot feel the aggression of the blade I find my self needing to add pressure for it to do the job but If I am not careful I will cut myself as this has happened before. Any blade recommendations out there?

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I use mine with a Nacets. They work great for me, though your mileage may vary.

Chris - enjoying learning, whatever the subject

myles wilson likes this.
  3. myles wilson

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind.

4. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Congrats on your new Fatboy Myles.
    You might like one of these blades...
    Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge
    Perma-Sharp
    BIC Chrome Platinum

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

For modern made blades, I prefer Gillette 7 O'clock Sharpedge (Yellows). Very sharp, and very smooth.

6. myles wilson

Thank Yall! Pretty sure I have a 7 O'clock laying around somewhere in the den. I'll give it a try.

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

There are several different kinds of Gillette 7 O'clock blades. Yellow, Black, Green. And a few inbetween.

myles wilson likes this.
  8. myles wilson

Yea unfortunately I don't remember which one it was. but I'll check out the yellows.

9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I use all of my favorite blades with the Fatoby. Perma-Sharp Super, Astra SP, and Feather would probably be my top 3.

myles wilson likes this.
  10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

+1 on the Bic.

myles wilson likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That is because the Fat Boy is still mild on the 9 setting, at least in my trials using one. Try a Feather blade, if it is still mild it is the razor not the blade. Those are pretty much the gold star standard for sharp when it comes to DE blades.

myles wilson likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Voskhod work well in slants. Not in a Fatboy. I'd recommend you stick to the sharper end of the blade spectrum for that razor. Polsilver, Nacet, Astra, Sputnik, all the sharper Russian blades. Feathers and Personna Blues or med preps are also good blades in a Fatboy.

Edit: Gillette Silver Blues, and the aforementioned 7 o'clock blades are good choices as well.

13. myles wilson

Yea I think I’ll look at the feather blades.

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Couple of things, the Feather blade may work for you but you might not want to use them regularly so as others have suggested try some of the blades they mentioned. If it is still too mild I'd suggest trading up to a more aggressive adjustable if you want to stay with Gillettes. The razor to get in that case is the Super Adjustable also known as a Super 109, Black Beauty or Super Adjustable Deluxe when the razor head is gold plated. Regardless of the year all the long handle Super Adjustable razors shave the same.

myles wilson likes this.
  15. myles wilson

Which feather would you recommend?

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There is only one Feather recommended for DE shaving which is the stainless steel blades regardless of packaging. They make carbon steel DE blades but I wouldn't use those for shaving. Like I said consider them a testing blade in this case then if they work and you like how they shave consider using them with razors that are too mild otherwise with your go to blades.

myles wilson likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Good rule of thumb the milder the razor the sharper the blade needed to get the same close shave as a more aggressive or efficient the razor with a less sharp of a blade.

When I do DE shave I use a Bic Chrome Platinum blade almost exclusively and the reason why is they are reasonably sharp, hold an edge and shave consistently until they don't. Feathers are super sharp but every time I used one they never held that super sharp edge for more than a single shave.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    brit and myles wilson like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

nacet blades are very consistent..and sharp..:)
    lduowrQ_edited.jpg

BigMike likes this.