Blade Review's Revisted

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by grottolord, Dec 26, 2008.

1. grottolord

grottolord New Member

How About A Completely Unbiased Comparison Of

Feathers
    Astras
    Yellow 7 O'clocks
    Persona
    Derby's

Just To Get A Feel For These Standards
    Grottolord

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Uh, not to be a stick in the mud, but how do you achieve a completely unbiased review of a blade? I can tell you about my experiences of the blades on your list, but I can guarantee that everyone else's results will vary.

So are you looking for a scientific analysis of sharpness, coating, grind consistency, etc...?

3. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Grottolord,

Here is a thread from SMF with rather detailed reviews of the blades you mentioned.

4. grottolord

grottolord New Member

thanks that was exactly what is was looking for!!!!!

by unbiased i meant open minded , or somthing like that,
    anyway thanks men
    Grottolord

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

for me to make a review of blades, I find difficult to do sometimes. I know only the brands I use.

6. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

No one is more objective in his reviews than Squire at SMF. That said, everyone's experience is unique. My favorite blade (Astra Super Platinum) ranks below blades I absolutely hate in Squire's rating system. Nothing is more true in double edge shaving that Your Mileage May Vary.

7. DEX,

You are very right! Great Link! Great Info!

That would be unbias for sure ;).

Dark

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Feathers way sharp but unforgiving.

Astras not bad but nothing to go bananas over.

Yellow 7 O'clocks Sharp and smooth a good blade.

Persona, what ones?

Derby's middle of the road. Mild but sharp enough to shave.

This is my take on them many others will come up with a different review, not all faces are the same.

9. Mottern,

I understand 4 out of the 5 your reviewed. But The Personna (what ones)? I am lost in this, what do you mean by that? Did you mean? (Which Ones???)

I still need to try the Feather ones! If they are sharp like 1 that i have tried before then I will stay away... Too much irritation on my skin!

Dark

10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

There's more than one type of Personna blade. There are:

1. Walmart brand Personna.
    2. Crystals (Israeli Personna).
    3. Red pack Personna.

There may also be a CVS/ Walgreen brand Personna as well, but I'd always assumed these were the exact same as the Walmart brand but in a different package.

Each of these three shave differently, although they're all on the mild end. I like the Israeli Personna best.

11. Will

Will Nevermind

That is what I mean. Sorry my engrish is not so sharp. It is only my first language. :happy102

Wal Mart style, lousy, stay far away.
    IP/Crystal, Very mild but wont shave close. Good if you are healing some irritation
    Red's, I have not gotten to them yet. Will let you know when/if I do.

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

You can get at least 3 types of Personna blades:
    -US Personnas such as those found at Wal-mart, grocery stores, etc. often rebranded
    -Isreali Personnas, most commonly sold under the Crystal brand name
    -Red Pack Personnas, also made in Isreal and sold in a red package (go figure)

Us Peronnas don't have a good reputation overall. I find them below average, but usable (both a little rough and don't get a close shave).
    Isreali Personnas (Crystals) I find to be above average blades, very smooth and decently sharp. They seem to work much better in my Knack than my Superspeed.
    I've not tried Red pack personnas, but by reputation, they are similar to Crystals, though most prefer one over the other.
    My experience with the blades you list:
    Feathers - Good close shave, but very unforgiving. Not an everyday blade for me.
    Astras - The Superior Platinum version? If so, my favorite blade. Smooth and as sharp as I desire.
    Yellow 7 O'clocks - Just a hair under the Astra in performance but at twice the cost.
    Persona - See above
    Derby's - Average performance and short life (2 shaves).

13. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

What did you think of Gillette Swedes?

Regards.

J

14. Hi there,

I think I understand the type of info you're looking for, but let's see. If I'm wrong I apologize.........I do miss things.

Seems like you want to be able to order other blades that are similar to the ones you find work best. You'd prefer to skip the ones that have the least chance, which makes good sense. Heh, some members already mentioned the 'unbiased' thing, so I'll skip that.

I'd think the very best you can hope for is a sorta basic guideline, but a loose one. Lemme give you another factor besides the constant of that YMMV thingy which could confuse things. See if you agree with me.

I've found that NOTHING takes the place of experience when it comes to understanding each part of the shave. Lather, razors, blades, technique.......that sorta stuff. It takes a while to really see some differences in all those tools. Now, the problem is that it takes a good while to fully develop a reference point as to what works best. Blades are an especially important part of the shave, and you're smart to try and minimize that journey as best you can.

Anyway, let's say you have a poll of some sort. Maybe asking the members to rank their favorites. There'd be a list of blades to vote on, and that would take some thought. I think there's 8-10 'favorite' blades the assorted members prefer, and you'd have to include em all to be accurate. You could pick the ones that matched up best with your favorite...........right?

What throws off the results are the members who only tried maybe 3-4 of those on your list. Of course they have a favorite, but that reference point just isn't developed enough to truly 'get it' about blades. Nothing against them at all......... almost everyone has to go through it. In the DE beginning, it's only by actually using each blade multiple times that the shaver figures out EXACTLY the blade(s) for him. It can take quite a while if you really wanna tweak things, which is another way of saying this is a really really deep rabbit hole. I recommend backing slowly out of that room while you can, and close the door firmly behind you......

Ok, enough about that. I'm certainly not suggesting a poll not be set up for any reason.....I'd participate and would be curious a little. Hehe, this 'hobby' is all about fun anyway. It always amazes me when I see great reviews on a blade that's gruesome for me.......heh.

Oh, one other thing that might be in a poll would be (he says innocently) what razor those blades happen to be used in. Not that it matters of course (that is sarcasm). That's actually another bottomless rabbit hole as well.

Thanks for starting the thread Grottolord...... I hope you find the info you're looking for.

Hope I didn't spook the new guys,
    Martin

15. Hello NoobShaver,

I actually know that there are 3 or more types of personna, I was trying to say: Did you mean "which ones"? Instead of "what ones"?

I have being posting several post about this in the badger forums and i made a small addition to the guide. I know that there were people confused with the red packs so I added info.

Look at my findings here: RED PERSONNA INFO

As regarding the personnas, I so far carry 2 of them. The bulk packing and the New Red Pack. So, there will be no confusion :D.

I personnally like the Red Packs followed by the Super + (Israeli Bulk) Crystals.

But I guess I still have to try more blades :):D.

Thank you for the findings!

Dark

16. Will

Will Nevermind

Same, the SG's are a little sharper.

17. OmegaEdge

OmegaEdge New Member

Out of all the blades that I have used...and I have tried all the ones that Squire over at SMF has reviewed, IMHO nothing beats the Gillette 7 O'clock sharpedge blades (yellow package) Not even Feathers give me a shave as good as these Gillette ones. You should really try them out, you maybe surprised.

18. grottolord

grottolord New Member

onward

well i have now tried red persona platnum chrome, super platnum ip, wilkenson whites, and walmart platinums,
    ill state from the start that im new to DE shaving, but also that im an expierenced Straight razor shaver with 3-4 years under my strop, i mean under my belt, so the prep for shaving is a skill that i have mastered and thourghly enjoy.
    the wilkenson gave me a nice close shave and was bbs after 3 pass's and a little touchup,this was in a Fatboy settings 3,5,9
    the walmart brand in the same razor similar settings was fair,
    i know its a no no but i then changed to a slim with similar settings using a red persona and got a bbs shave with minimal effort,this blade gave the best shave so far, i belive the head of the razor less height gave the blade greater exposure and i prefered this razor over ther fatboy,
    The super platnum ip was by far the worst blade leaving stubble even after multiple passes, and just 6-8hrs later the stuble was very noticable,
    these are just the observations of one new to DE but take it for what its worth,
    tomorrow ill try a yellow 7 oclock, to start off the new year,
    any feed back comparing a Fatboy to either a slim adjustable or Aristrocrat. head hights shave closeness heft etc just more opinons,
    maybe that fodder for another post under different name.
    Be Well All,
    Grottolord