Blade Sample Pack Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jostalli, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Blade Review.jpg

When I first started my DE journey I purchased the Sensitive Skin Blade Sample pack from Razor Emporium. The pack contained five each of Astra Superior Platinum, KAI Stainless Steel, Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Israeli Red, and the Rapira Swedish Supersteel. Apparently the Rapira was a substitution for the Pol Silver.

I tested each blade in my vintage Gillette Ball End Tech 46’-49’ for three days each. I then did second 3 day round for my top 3.

Of course blades are very subjective to the razor and the user so YMMV

Astra Superior Platinum – very sharp and smooth blade. It has that right sharpness pushing right up the aggressive limit for myself. As long as I am careful not to apply pressure this blade is my current go to blade. I have used a single blade for up to 6 – 3 pass shaves with no issues.

Rapira Swedish Supersteel – I almost did not test this blade. I heard they are hard to get so I thought why bother. However after I was waiting on more Astra’s to arrive I thought I would give them a spin. Wow sharp and smooth a very great shave for sure. At the end of January I will be trying this blade out again. It is possible it will become my new number 1.

Gillette Silver Blue – Very sharp blade and I got great shaves with it. However I found it a little rough on the skin. It was not an issue with nicks or weepers but a mild raw feeling. I could probably be ok with this blade if I had too.

Pesonna Israeli Red – I would place this one on par with and same experience as the Gillette Silver Blue.

Kai Stainless Steel – This was the sharpest blade of the pack. It was also the smoothest feeling blade during the shave of the pack. I thought this was going to become my top blade. After a second round with this blade I began to detect that “raw” feeling as the day progressed. It could be that in my newness I am still applying too much pressure. I will probably give this blade another chance in about a year.

I would love to hear your thoughts on these or other blades.

2. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I've tried 3/5. Haven't used Rapira or Kai's. The other 3 I use on a regular basis and like all 3.

Astra SP: Agree these are a very sharp and smooth blade. Excellent blade and economical too. Can be bought in bulk (100 for about $0.12 - $0.015 per blade). Astra also makes a Super Stainless (blue pack) which I like too.
    Gillette Silver Blue: Great performing blade for me. Again very sharp and smooth. I have not experienced any roughness with this blade. However, about 2x the price of the Astra SP's. I also want to try the Gillette Platinum's which have similar packaging.
    Israeli Personna Red: Very, very nice blade that is both smooth and sharp (not as sharp as the Astra's or Silver Blues) but plenty sharp. Other blades made at the same plant are Crystal & Royal which are also very good performing blades. Crystal's are about 1/2 the price of IPR's.

This is just MHO and as always with blades, YMMV.......................

KLF, Jostalli and Steinbeckian like this.
  3. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I haven't tried the Kai's although I find them a tad expensive.
    The others just didn't work out for me as well as my only DE blade, the original Super Iridiums.
    The Astras are a decent blade, but only lasted me 3 shaves, maximum.
    The Gillette Silver Blues weren't as smooth as the SIs.
    The Personnas were terrible.
    The Rapira were average and a bit hard to source.
    Good luck. :)

Jostalli and Steinbeckian like this.
  4. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

Thanks for the info

Jostalli likes this.
  5. fimpster

fimpster Well-Known Member

I bought the biggest sampler I could find after a couple of weeks with the 2 brands that came with my first razor. So far I've tried Dorco 300, YingJiLi (both of those came with my Weishi 9306), Lord SC, Big Ben SS, Merkur SP, Astra SP, and Voskhod. I still have about 30 varieties to try, but Astra SP is my leading blade also.

6. Jostalli

I don't think I want to try that many but who knows - I will be taking Voskhod and Ladas for a spin once my 30 day rule is up.

SRNewb, spacehobo and Luziana_Geezer like this.
  7. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

I had nearly the exact same experience with kai blades. I loved them during the shave, then felt progressively worse as the day went on. You may want to check out the 7'oclock yellows I found them to be smoother than the silver blues but just as sharp.

Really good reviews, nice work!

Jostalli likes this.
  8. Peter Martin

Peter Martin New Member

Your information is nice.

Jostalli likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great review! Thanks..

10. Jostalli

Thanks for the info on the 7'0clock - I will check them out.

Spit_Fire likes this.
  11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

The yellows are good blades, as are the Voskhods. I love the Astras and the IP Reds. Have not tried the others, but I will eventually. Blades are cheap to try.

Jostalli likes this.
  12. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Great review, the Swedish steel rapira blades are my daily blades and they are easy to get on eBay

Jostalli likes this.
  13. Jwilcox21

Jwilcox21 Member

Great reviews. Most sample packs I'm looking at have these same ones. Appreciate the info!

Jostalli likes this.
  14. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

My two main blades are Swedish rapira SS and red personna. If they would have had one of those packs when I started lol

Jostalli likes this.