Blade sharpness comparison

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dusty5150, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

I've been searching for this for the past hour and can't find anything; hopefully I didn't miss an obvious resource. The closest I could find was this but he only discusses a few brands.

As a newbie, reading all of the advice and instructions online, I've found lots of talk about sampler packs, trying different blades, which I'm doing, but I also noticed the following types of statements of advice (for examples and not necessarily verbatum):

"...try a milder blade like a XXX'
    "...move to a more agressive blade like a XXX"

What I'm wondering is if there is a list somewhere that will tell me, of the 50 bazillion different brands of sample blades I have, how they rank from "mild" to "sharp" as in the link I provided above?

I'm thinking this might be helpful to a newbie in determining what blades to try... I know for me, for example, the last two blades I've tried are a Shark and a Feather; I'd like to be able to look at my pile and think, okay, let's try something in between those two next.

I can't be the first person to think about a master blade sharpness-mildness rating list can I?

2. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

Certainly not the first person as I've had this very same thought as well, but I have not seem such a list if one does exist. I think that part of the problem is that many brands will likely be very close in sharpness/smoothness yet 1 of them will work well for one person but poorly for another while a 2nd one from that group of 'similar' blades might work poorly for the first person but well for the other...

S Barnhardt likes this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:signs011: I'll throw in my 2 cents, though I have experience with just a few brands. I guess it is a YMMV issue as well. It is to me a person / razor / blade combination. There are too many variables to reach a definitive list. In the end all blades are sharp - new ones that is ;).

S Barnhardt likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Agreed. I don't believe any lab-controlled scientific experiments have been conducted and/or posted to determine sharpness. All you're going to get are opinions.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

S Barnhardt, macaronus and Dusty5150 like this.
  6. Dusty5150

I guess that's what I was hoping for - a straight up sharpness only comparison. I guess one could argue that they're all razor blades and they're all pretty damn sharp LOL

I also wasn't really looking for a 'what will work for me' solution, just a sharpness guide for newbies - like the blade rating asystem from 1-5 on the shaving101 site I linked to.

Anyway, I'll start compiling my own list :) from various snippets found online. That post from GDCarrington is definitely helpful!

7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Blade sharpness determination is highly subjective to the person using the blade. A blade that I might suggest as sharp might not be as sharp for you. The only exception to this might be a Feather blade, the majority of shavers would agree it is sharp.

A sharp blade does not always equate to a comfortable shave. Blade selection is very personal.

8. Dusty5150

Looks like razor blade sharpness can be tested, but it looks like I'm gonna have to buy one of these (click image for link to product website - and no, I'm not affiliated) ...

[​IMG]

edit - here's another sharpness tester

now I need to find a lab that has one of these and convince them of the important testing I need done :happy088:

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool!

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just FYI, the potentially sharpest blades you could get are going to be carbon steel rather than stainless. That probably won't be an issue for you (nor is it for over 90% of wetshavers) since there is, I believe, ONE company on earth that still produces carbons, and any other carbons you could get will be decades old.

As to stainless, I am not very discerning but I know a few things: I get consistently fantastic, never disappointing results from my stock of '60s era Gillette stainless...I find Feathers too bitey...I've given up on Derby Extras after 2 bad blades in a row...and cheapy Dorcos do just fine by me. I know this doesn't help and I apologize. :)

macaronus likes this.
  11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is the terminology we use. Here is what some blade terms mean to me:
    -"Sharp" means how efficiently it reduces whiskers. One that reduces quicker is "sharper" even though it technically may not be.
    -"Aggressive" suggests "sharp" but absent forgiveness (smoothness) making it potentially tough on skin if not careful.
    -"Smooth" suggests forgiving to skin independent of sharpness. Saying a blade is smooth or forgiving does not say how efficient (sharp) it is.
    -"Sharp and Smooth" is efficient and forgiving to skin (my favorite blades).
    -"Mild" is a loaded double term that suggests less efficient but smooth, requiring more passes but is forgiving to the skin.
    Many variations of sharpness/smoothness can work well for us in certain razors, which is where the YMMV comes into play.

12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Dusty there can be variations in the thickness of the different blades and this factor can definitely contribute to differing "sharpness" attributes. Feathers for example are a very thin, really sharp blade and Astras as well but to a lesser degree. Wilkinsons are what many consider milder by comparison than the feathers and are also significantly thicker than feathers. I first heard about the possible correlation between blade thickness and sharpness from the fellow who runs my local shaving shop. I personally found this relationship to be true to some extent and tend to avoid the really thin sharp blades which I find to be less forgiving.. but also true is that millage variation thing we keep hearing so much about these days...

macaronus likes this.
  13. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

For me they either shave or they don't. Example the Personna blues. Yes, I bought 100. First shave with them today. 1st pass wasn't really the smoothest that I ever had but following passes were ok and I have a good shave from them. When I you them tomorrow in a different razor it may be a completely different story. So how would I grade them? For 12cents apiece they're OK.

14. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I was perusing another forum yesterday and stumbled on a poll that was between Feathers and Personna Med Prep blades. The Med Preps had a substantial lead over Feathers. A couple of remarks stated that the Preps were not as brash or harsh, but equally as sharp as the Feathers. I found one site that has them for .21 cents per blade. Being how I am a Feather head, this piqued my interest. I am soon to order some of the Preps. Anything better than a Feather, I want in my stable.

As far as sharpness goes, my son an I have discussed this for some time. We have come to the conclusion, as far as the blades performance is so diverse, it's almost impossible to come to a definite conclusion. Different razors hold blades differently. Your beard changes from time to time due to body metabolism, weather, previous shave, etc. So many variables make it difficult to say this blade is better that that one. Best one can do, is find a blade(s) that provide a consistent "best" shave for you, and order accordingly. This of course, is JMHO.

macaronus likes this.
  15. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

The Med. Prep. is one of my top 3 blades. Smooth, sharp and long-lasting, if you're into that.

PM me and I'll send you some.

16. Dusty5150

I think I'm starting to experience this first hand ..

My past 3 shaves I've used a feather new hi-stainless blade, which was super smooth and sharp, but I was noticing a lot of redness and bumps on my neck afterwards. Today, I tried a Tiger blade, and while I noticed immediately that it was dragging and tugging, I still ended up with a good shave, and very very little redness and bumps on my neck. I was attributing this to mainly product (which I'm sure is still part of the equation), but I'm guessing now that the Feather/34C combo, although super sharp and smooth, is too agressive for my neck.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around why a blade that is noticeably rougher, didn't irritate my skin.

Does anyone ever use a different razor/blade for their face & neck during the same shave?

17. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

My Order was off eBay 12.99 for 100 including shipping . The listing did not say "lab or medical". The packing was individually wrapped blades in one box. Box did not say 'lab' just Personna stainless steel , made in the US. Blue box and blue wrapper.
    For Personna find the Reds better.

18. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

If it's a Med. Prep., "For Hospital Use" will be printed on the blade. The labs don't have that designation.

19. waymar

waymar New Member

FWIW: My first shave with a Feather/34C almost warranted a call to 911 to stop the bleeding...
    Since abtaining a Feather Razor.. No more bleeding, nicks, rash etc... Yes lots of money but well worth it..

cheers

Dusty5150 likes this.
  20. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Here's a list like you were looking for. Doesn't have all by any means but a number of common ones:
    Read This Article!