Blade "skipping"

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by mmain, Aug 17, 2007.

1. mmain

mmain New Member

I have a n00b question. I have been attempting to wetshave for about 2 weeks. I am using Proraso(green), a Merkur classic, and Merkur blade. I start at my upper check and slowly tilt the handle down to the correct angle then begin pulling the razor down my check and the razor seems to get stuck and then goes creating a "hopping" effect. This isn't creating nicks or cuts and doesn't feel like it is the blade getting stuck. It more feels like the safety bar is just sticking to my skin. My lather seems to be good and moist, as I have watched all of mantic's videos several times. I have even used that really good rich lather that you get from squeezing the brush and it still happens. I do know that I have hard water because my bright shiny Merkur has a cloudy haze all over it each time that I use it.

Is this caused by the hard water or am I doing something wrong?

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Welcome to The Shave Den, mmain. Hard water will definitely keep lather from being as slick and effective. Even if it seems like you are getting a sufficient volume of lather, it might not be "slick" enough.

Otherwise, I'd say you might want to experiment with the angle some. Make sure the blade stays in contact with your face all the way through a stroke, rather than letting the safety bar get more of the contact. Also watch not to use too much pressure. Just let the razor do the work.

Honestly, some folks have trouble with Merkur blades. I know they don't work as well for me as some others. Might want to try a few other blades.

Good luck. Let us know how you progress.

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Welcome to the DEN :)

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Greetings to you !

sounds to me like your prep is OK.
    I'd have to agree with Blair in that maybe the angle of your dangl....oops....er, uh.... razor is not correct.
    Work on that and see if you have better luck.

5. Will

Will Nevermind

I had the same problem with Merkur Blades, then I switched, problem went away.
    Welcome Aboard.:cool:

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

First, Welcome :eatdrink004

Now, onto the important stuff.

I've gone on the record as saying this, and shall do it again.

Proraso Cream is junk. Many people like it, I simply do not. Supposedly it is used in barbershops in Italy for years and years, but that doesn't mean its good.

I find that my razor skips while using the Proraso cream, I doubt any blade will change that. I got so digusted with it, I threw half a tube out.

Taking it one step further, I find any cream containing SLS to make the razor skip. Could be my skin, could be my water, could be anything. But I have found this to be 100% true across the gambit of creams with SLS.

7. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Try varying the amount of water you use in your cream. Remember you're looking for tiny bubbles in that lather.... almost like cool whip. Big bubbles, (think washing the dishes) aren't good.

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nothing to add.

Welcome to The Shave Den, mmain!

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I would follow Doc's advise. Get a blade sampler pack and dump the Merkur blades.

Raf

10. mmain

mmain New Member

Thanks for the replies

I wanted to thank everyone for being so helpful. I am amazed at the amount of replies in such a short amount of time. I think that I am leaning toward TraderJoe's response. I have heard so much about Proraso that I assumed it was good stuff. I started out with Williams Mug soap before the Proraso got here, and I must say that I didn't like it, but I don't remember it causing the skipping problem either. Right now Proraso is all I have and Merkur blades and Personna blades (from Wal*Mart) are all that I have.

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Until you get more "stuff", I think one thing that could resurrect that pig of a cream would be to super-lather the Williams with it. Just an idea

Williams is good like that, it makes a mean superlather with Palmolive red too

12. Will

Will Nevermind

May I suggest some new products on the cheap? :D

Proraso (I hate the smell so I did not use it that much)
    Williams (dose not work for me at all)

Stuff to try, Kiss My Face and Tom's of Maine creams.

Col Conk and anyone of the popular online vendors soap (i.e. Sue, Sue, Sue, Sue, Colleen, Sue, Sue, Sue, Charels at QED, Sue, and oh yea Suzie, I hope I named all of our Sue's).

All well with in budget and very well performing.

13. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

The Personna/Wal-Mart blades will still be better than the Merkur, IMO.

Soaps/creams: VanDer Hagen (used to be "Surrey") isn't too bad, or the Williams. The Kiss My Face and Tom's creams that Doc recommended are good ones. Check out a Whole Foods store if you have one nearby.

Col. Conk is a favorite of mine, and sometimes available at a tobacco shop or old general store near you. That would get you going immediately until something could come in the mail.

Otherwise, your best bet is online, and you don't have to spend a lot to get started. Check out the Shave Shopping Index for some ideas. It's kinda like a shaving mall. :D (And also check out our classifieds; somebody may have some stuffs to sell or trade.) Of course, online your choices are limited only by how long you want to wait for shipping and your budget. ;)

14. mmain

mmain New Member

Good suggestions

Thanks all for the suggestions. There are so many choices that it helps to hear all the other experiences. I went to Crabtree & Evelyn today because there is one here in town. I wanted to buy their $35 Best Badger brush, but the salesperson wasn't knowledgable enough to tell which brush was which. I ended up buying their Nomad shaving cream. Also I orded the Extended sampler pack from WestCoastshaving last night. A question about the brush: The badger brushes that I saw at C&E were very small compared what I currently have (which I think is boar hair) and I haven't had any problems with it nor do I think it is uncomfortable. I think I prefer the larger brush, so am I better off with a smaller Badger or a larger boar? My plan right now is to save up for a large badger brush, maybe around Christmas time.

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

It will definitely come down to personal preference.

In my case, I prefer variety. Some days I like soft brushes, some days stiffer. Some days smaller (shorter loft), some days bigger.

16. Will

Will Nevermind

Some days I feel like a nut, some days I don't

Joe is right on this. I will say that pound for pound the 22 knot C&E Best is pound for pound the best bargen in history. I love my Kent, and Savile Row but if it came down to one brush, maybe, just maybe I would choose the C&E.

17. mmain

mmain New Member

C&E Nomad

i just tried the C&E Nomad that I bought today to compare it to Proraso and I honestly can't see the difference. No doubt this is from my lack of experience, but for me it was the same thing with a different smell. I still get nicks on my neck on my 2nd pass. I am using a new blade everyday. I have heard some guys say that sometimes they get a better shave after the 2nd or 3rd use. Should I be re-using my blades more?

18. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

All of the above is great advice. I would add that in my experience I also noticed a lot of skipping early in my DE learning curve. As my technique improved the skipping disappeared. I think it has less to do with what equipment and lather you are using and more to do with your finesse at wielding the razor.

19. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

YES absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is probably one of the reasons you are tearing your face. Re-use the same blade unless it is a bad blade. I would suggest a blade change every 3-4 days but your face will tell you when it is time. Ease off on the pressure applied and let the weight of the razor do the work for you. Reduction of stubble with each pass is important to a good shave. Good lather is the other half. In my opinion there is a huge difference between C&E product and Proraso as far as soap or cream is concern. If you could post pics of your lather so we can see what it looks like this way we can then offer more guidance.

Raf

20. mmain

mmain New Member

My lathering skillz

Check out my lathering skills and see what you think! Do you think it looks too dry when it is on my face? I never have gotten a "fluffy white beard" on my face, the lather seems to stay a thin layer. I am applying it in circular motion with the bristles spread to about half my check. Also, I am still waiting on my blade sampler, but I am suspecting that the merkur blades may not be working for me. Either that or I need to toy with the angle more. This "blade skipping" seems to be that the blade doesn't have enough gusto to cut through the whisker so it stops, which causes more of a tug from me, which makes it move, then it stops again and the cycle starts over. I am applying absolutely no pressure. I would liken it dragging a rake over rough ground. Without applying any downward pressure to the rake it just bounces and jumps randomly. This seems to be the same reaction the razor has as I pull it down my check without apply any pressure into my face. As you can see in the pic of my neck that i have very bad ingrown hair and razor bumps on my neck. I have always had these since i was a teenager. They are actually better now than ever, but they make it very difficult to shave with DE.

Attached Files: