Blade "skipping"

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by mmain, Aug 17, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Good pics.

Lather looks to be on the thin side. Very thin, actually.

2. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I found the same problem with the murkur razor. I was using a personna blade though. Could It be the shiny finish on the murkur?

3. mmain

mmain New Member

Thin like too much water or thin as in the amount that I have on my face?...

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Too much water.

5. mmain

mmain New Member

Too thin...

Yeah, I watched mantics video on lathering again and I agree that my lather is much thinner. It still looked like I was starting w/ the same amount of cream, but of course I can't tell how much water he has vs. how much I have. I'll thicken it up tomorrow night and update...

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Best of luck!

Keep us posted.

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

DUDE !
    Take a cuppa days off now and just practice making your lather.
    You need some heal time.

Your lather looks very thin to me as well.
    Try using more soap / cream than you think you need and make it drier than you think you should.
    When you get the mix "pasty", add a few drops of hot water to the breech of the brush and keep building lather. You will learn what good lather should look like.
    There are many variables involved and it takes time and practice every time you change / add something new to your routine to keep it all right.

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Too much water. Curious though. What cream or soap did you use for these pictures?

9. Ucliker

Ucliker New Member

The problem with hard water is you want to add more water to get a better result try less water, Also like many have said the Merkur blades arent great so try a sampler pack. In the pictures it seems like you get a lot of irritation try shaving with the grain for a while until your face gets used to the drastic changes.

10. mmain

mmain New Member

This was Crabtree&Evelyn Nomad cream...

I have been doing the first pass w/ the grain short strokes, then the second pass straight down which on me would be across the grain. It seems like no matter what direction I go on my neck it is not good... Any suggestions for how to allow the irritation at my neck go away. Like should I just not shave at all for a week or two and then try again?

11. Will

Will Nevermind

1. You need better lather, maybe your water is bad. Try heating bottled water and see if that helps. Use a good ammount of cream and slowly add water, when you get it on your face you should look like Santa after a trim.

2. Check your angle.

3. NO PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NONE, NADA, NHIL, ZIP, ZILTCH. Be like Yakov Smirnoff and let "razor shave you" (I am going to make that my sig line:D).

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Well, you have a good cream that is for sure.

13. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

okay, good pics. So as to not change too much, use the a little less amount water from what you have been using but add more cream. C&E cream is very good and will lather thick and creamy. You are looking for a merengue like consistency in the cream. you are almost there keep it up. Maybe for the next few days just shave with the grain to give your face time to heal a bit.

When you apply the lather to your face it should cover the skin to where you can't see skin, at least that's how I make mine.

Raf

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Agreed. Just remember to rinse the razor more often or you'll clog it.

15. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

The best piece of advice is to take a break for about a week and let your neck heal...

One thing I read that helped me is this: If you think a batch of lather isn't right, ditch it and start over.

Like others have said, use more cream. Try using at least half a teaspoon and go from there.

Good Luck!

16. mmain

mmain New Member

Good shave now...

I just wanted to state for the record that I recieved my blade sampler pack, so I tried the Wilkinson Sword blade and I thickened up my lather. It was a whole new ballgame. I can't say whether the blade made all or any of the difference, I'm sure the correctly made lather made the most difference. I am going to continue working through the sampler and find my favorite blade.

Thanks to everyone who contribute to the forum.

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You're welcome.

18. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you're making good progress :happy088

19. Will

Will Nevermind

Good to hear things are going well. :D