Blade testing question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Norseman, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Greetings,

Over these last few weeks, I have gathered quite a pile of different blades for my shaving pleasure.
    But being an impatient norseman, I am thinking of getting a second Merkur HD and load both of them with different blades, and use them during the same shave session. One razor on my left side and vice versa.

This way I am hoping it will make it easier (and more fun) to identify potential differences between the blades and find out what works for me, and what not.

The reason for this thread is therefore to seek out advice from you Ladies and Gentlemen.
    Are there any issues that might be worth considering?

Is this just plain stupid of me?
    If no:
    Should I blind test?
    Should I alternate which razors are used on what side of my face?
    Should I use the same shave products like soap/cream, aftershaves etc etc.
    Or any other factors that I have not considered.

I have not planned to test for longevity, but use them typically for 3-4 shaves.

Please advice J
    Thanks
    Norseman

2. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

Well I have been doing a blade test recently. After 3 blades though and using the same soap...I am going to use my Astras for a nice break. I think the constant changing messes with your facial response and things get a bit confusing after awhile and shaves not as close. Like your face gets used to something then you change it. I got one more blade to test and I will probably wait a week. And I think my testing is futile because I plan on using Astras exclusively, and blade results are very unique for an individual so publishing it won't do much good. But that is what I am doing. :)

Norseman likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

For me, blade testing would require too much thinking.
    I don't want to think. I just want to shave.

newb, alpla444 and Norseman like this.
  4. Norseman

Interesting and good feedback. Thank you :)

My initial plan was to use these two razors for one week. For instance, Monday to Wednesday for one pair of blades, and thursday to saturday for another pair.
    Sunday is rest day.
    And then a week with using only one razor (Progress and/or Futur) with the Astras loaded, before going back for another week of try outs.

I am probably going write about it in a shave diary I am currently trying to maintain, but yes I agree. Any findings will only be useful for me, and me alone. Like the rest of the stuff I am writing about in that thread :)

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I think switching razors adds an extra variable, and with it, extra confusion. But I do think that keeping a diary of what you use and the results you get is helpful. I did that in my "picking a blade" stage.

6. Norseman

I agree, and that's why I'm going back to my first razor, the Merkur 34 HD. The only difference is that I am going to use two of those for this testing. One for each whisker, loaded with a different blade.
    I imagine that this will keep the razor out of the equation, and that I will be able to concentrate on only one factor, and that's the blade.

For instance using a 7 o' clock Yellow in my left hand HD razor, and the black 7 o'clock version in my right hand HD razor and try to compare the experience and result afterwards.

That was my plan, but I am not sure its a good one :)
    Time will tell, I suppose.

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

One way to find out. If it is not working, you can always stop doing it.

Norseman likes this.
  8. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

If you think it will be more fun to do it that way, go for it. If you're going to go that route I'd suggest keeping track of which razor is used on which side, so you can alternate each shave. Because I'm not ambidextrous, and because I have different whisker growth directions on each side, to not alternate would be to not fairly compare the two. Blind testing is great if you want to give more credence to your results, but I don't think its necessary at all. You only need to convince yourself of the results, so if you don't feel it's worth the effort, then it's not worth the effort.

No matter method you end up employing to test your blades, I think it's good to go back to your reference blade every so often. For me this is either the Voskhod or the Personna super lab blade.

I've tried 16 different blades and have 30 more to go. When I started trying different blades I decided to be methodical and empirical so I could objectively compare the blades. The method I employ when testing a new type is to use two blades, 3 shaves each, and rate each shave for comfort during the shave (tugging), comfort after the shave (razor burn, weepers, etc) and finally, closeness. I assign a point value to each of the three criteria and end up with a total score that I compare to the others.

After those two blades, I average the scores and add the blade performance to a spreadsheet. I then go back to my reference blade for 3 shaves so I can remind my face what my best blade feels like.

Now, after 8 months of DE shaving, I feel I can tell with just a couple of shaves if the blade will make the cut or not and I don't really need to keep up the scoring system. I still keep my spreadsheet though, because I'm an engineer and I like to see numbers and data, and it is interesting to go back and see why I did or did not like a blade, and if the two blades had the same overall score, how they differed in each category.

To be fair, the prep and soap should be the same during all this, but where's the fun in that? I try to test the blades with two or three different soaps, but there's no way I'm going to only vary the blade for the several months of testing I have ahead of me.

The method above is all with a single razor. Now that I have many razors, and I've come up with two others I particularly like (Old Type and Black Beauty), I've added a third test blade into the mix to use with the other two razors. Doing this I've found that Astra SPs, which are just marginal in my 38M, work wonderfully in my Old Type.

Norseman likes this.
  9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I really feel that you should do the test using an adjustable razor. As there my be small differences in blade width and flexibility this would correct that variable. Just a thought.

Norseman likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    This might be a stupid reply, but if you are planning on using the exact same setup for both sides of your face, except for the blade, why don't you just change the blade out? Why do you need two razors? :signs002: It's not like you can use them both at the same time. Well, I guess you could, but why would you want to?

Norseman likes this.
  11. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

If its someting you really want to pursue then thats ok is quite risk free as the resale value of the merkur would not be too far off the initial outlay, For me I have a go to razor (Fatboy or the EJ89L) either is a great consistent razor so when I do change blades I use one of these, Granted I have not tried as many as most people due to the fact Astra SP's work for me so well they are cheap and easy to get a hold of here in the UK.
    I currently 2 Fatboy razors but thats because i like them not for the same reason as you, Oh and I thought Id get a back-up as they keep getting more and more expensive.

12. Norseman

That's good advice. Label the razor somehow, but without knowing which razor is using what kind of blade, perhaps?

I agree. For now this is the Astra SS blade, and I plan on using this one every other week.

I am taking notes here. Good stuff. I am not very methodical, quite the opposite actually. But perhaps I can benefit from implement some structure into my life :)

I agree. This is a hobby after all. I want this to be interesting, but the primary objective is to have some fun and experience more blades and compare them to other blades.

Interesting.. I am not there yet, and I fear my short term memory will not be able to discern any possible differences from one blade to the other. Hence using two razors and be able to compare directly. But I guess that's where the spreadsheet comes in?

I like this. An excellent approach :)

Maybe I can do the best of both worlds? Make a little in-house contest between the two blades, while in the meantime rate them in a spreadsheet for later reference.
    Will probably be too much and might prove to be confusing all in itself. But it will be fun, and as mentioned above, I can stop doing what does not work and concentrate on the spreadsheet method.

I considered this, but I felt that using an adjustable introduced to many uncertainties in itself. Especially since I have read/heard that these adjustables perform differently from razor to razor.

Besides, I have already ordered a second HD razor :ashamed001:

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Well first off you can NEVER have TOO many razors! ;) Heres what I wound up doing I hope it helps. After confusing myself trying to use each blade till it died. By the time I got to the 3rd blade I had forgotten what the first felt like. My short term memory is terrible! The only thing I was positive about was a blade(Derby) I really wanted to like was Horrible for me!

So I went back to my sampler and chose one blade from each maker. Then I would shave each day with a different blade and choose a winner every three or four days. Then carry that blade forward to test with the next group of blades. I would group them as no good, ok, better and best. Using this method I found some favorites (black pack Wilkensons,red pack Personnas,shark super stainless,green&yellow pack 7O'Clocks and the winner till recently beleive it or not BlueBirds).

I've now begun revisiting/experimenting with Astra SP's. They only made it to the ok slot in the original test but, I'm now finding them really nice. Time, practice and improved technique changes things I.M.O. When I finish with the Astra's I think I'm going to give the Derbies another shot. Who knows I might luv them this time around. :D

Norseman likes this.
  14. Norseman

Because of the hassle of changing blades, and that I consider(ed) blind testing as an option.
    I planned on getting the Norsewoman to load the razors, with instructions on not to reveal anything, and then go for a nice troublesome shave :)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I just try whatever sounds awesome at the time.

16. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

I recently participated in a blind blade test, it was eye opening...

Here is how the blind blade test works.

The rules for the test.

1) This is a blind test; it hinges on participants not knowing what the blades they're using are, so:
    a) Make no attempt to find out what the blades are, at any time - even after you're done using the blades.
    b) Train your significant other to replace the blades properly in your razor. They are the only people who should know what blade is going in.
    c Do not inadvertently open the razor
    d) If you find a blade to be unusable, then abort that test and move on to another blade.
    e) Make sure your significant other disposes of the blade wrapper in a place where you're not going to happen on the wrapper. Also, after you're done with the three shaves, have her dispose of the blade without showing it to you.

2) To minimize errors, please use the same razor for the whole test
    a) Use a razor that you're familiar with and competent with
    b) If you use some older razors, blade placement can be an issue, as there's play in the blade positioning.

3) Please grade the blade after each shave
    a) Number grades can be quick and easy, so this shouldn't be a problem.
    b) You can note general thoughts on the blades as well.

4) Each blade should be used three times only

5) Keep a daily log of the your results.

A simple 5 point scale for each important aspect of the blade quality - 1 being the worst, 3 being average, 5 being the best.

The log should be in the form:

Blade # (1-10) Shave # (1-3)

Criteria:

1) Sharpness (1-5)
    2) Smoothness (1-5)
    3) Closeness of shave (1-5)
    4) Comfort (1-5)
    5) Pleasure of shave (1-5)
    6) Weepers (1-5) (1 would be lots of nicks, 5 would be none)
    7) Tugging (1-5) (1 would be lots of tugging, 5 would be no discernible tugging)
    8) Overall shave impression (1-5)

You can note other aspects of the blades in a notes section.

For me, it was a real eye opener. I now test all new blades thst i purchase this way, although I will give my wife a few different blades and after the first shave will look once done. I find that for me, it has added some new favorites, reinforced my love of certain blades, and surprisingly have made me remove a few blades from my rotation.

Good luck with your testing.

Norseman likes this.
  17. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

A lot of those criteria are inter-related. How does #5 differ from #8? How does #2 differ from #7?

I've only been using DE razors for nearly 9 months now, and I still don't know how to tell the difference between sharpness, smoothness, and tugging. As a novice I can tell three things fairly easily, and so that is the only thing I rate the shave on....comfort during the shave (combination of 1, 2, 4, & 7), comfort after the shave (# 6, plus factoring in any razor burn), and closeness (#3). Those qualities all together give me my overall score (5 & 8).

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Arley, one thing that you didn't mention, probably because it should be obvious. Have your significant other keep a list of the names of the blades you are using. It's all well and good to know that blade number 5 is fantastic, but if you don't have a clue as to what blade No. 5 actually was, you will be up the creek without the proverbial paddle.
    1) Sharpness (1-5) How quickly does the blade dull with use?
    2) Smoothness (1-5) does the blade glide on the face or does it jump and skip?
    3) Closeness of shave (1-5) how much stubble is left?
    4) Comfort (1-5) was the shave pain free?
    5) Pleasure of shave (1-5) did you have a good time?
    6) Weepers (1-5) (1 would be lots of nicks, 5 would be none)
    7) Tugging (1-5) (1 would be lots of tugging, 5 would be no discernible tugging)
    8) Overall shave impression (1-5) look in the mirror, can you faceturbate after this one?

Hope that helps. Arley might have a bit different opinion, but that's my take on it.

Azarius and Norseman like this.
  19. Norseman

Lots of good info here. I will give it a proper read through when the time of the testing is approaching. I will probably start on Monday evening

I will test two blades at a time, and reveal the identity of the blades after I am finished. I will rate them after the point system mentioned above, and probably add a few words of gibberish as a comment to the days shave.
    Testing will be finished after four shaves, which might be a tad short since each blade will only be used for 2 full shaves. I might extend this for the whole week.

20. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Hey Pat,

The criteria for the test I did not come up with, but my take is very similar to what Ryan had posted.

1. Sharpness -Does the blade easily cut through your stubble
    2. Smoothness - Does the blade easily glide across your skin, and offer some forgiveness.
    3. Closeness of Shave - How much stubble reduction was achieved per pass and per shave.
    4. Comfort - Did you face feel good after the shave, or did it feel raw.
    5. Pleasure of Shave - Did you enjoy the shave, or was it work.
    6. Weepers (self explanatory)
    7. Tugging (self explanatory)
    8. Overall shave impression - Is this blade worth using again? Did it perform as expected, and as Ryan had so eloquently stated, do you find yourself touching your face through out the day in awe of the closeness?

Hey Ryan,

We are very close on what our interpretation of the criteria. As far as keeping notes. For this particular test the blades where chosen and each participant received the same blades. Not until the test was finished by all parties do the participants know what the blades where. Although a few participants did look after they tested the blades, and have shared that information with others who have finished.

In current testings, I will have my wife pick a random blade, load it into my razor, and after test period I will look to see what the blade was.

I personally keep a shave journal of all of my daily shaves, that is the main reason you see me post in the Shave and Shower of the day thread. I keep much more detailed notes of each shave than what I post, in an effort to try to find the best possible combination of products and gear that works for my face.

PLANofMAN likes this.