Blade trial observations and question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maliboy67, Jan 6, 2015.

1. maliboy67

maliboy67 Well-Known Member

I have now used several of the blades in my sampler. I used each one for 4 shaves, each shave 3 passes, with, across and against the grain. What I have noticed is the blades that have given me tug and pull do not give me razor burn and the blades that seem to cut smoothly are producing minor burn. After thinking about my results I have come to the conclusion that when I get tug and pull I naturally reduce the razor pressure but when things are smooth I am applying more pressure without realizing I'm doing it. Does this sound like a common newbie problem?

Bama Samurai, Bobcat and gwsmallwood like this.
  2. shmuel

shmuel Member

You are thinking correctly. Tugging is generally from a blade which isn't sharp enough - either the wrong blade for you or used too many times. Burn is from too much pressure. It may seem counter intuitive, but light pressure and multiple passes is the way to go, and finding the right razor/blade combo will lead to an enjoyable and smooth shave.

Ceferguson and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I would recommend that you not use a blade more than two or three times when you are testing them. The reason for this is that you are not used to what the blade feels like and therefore it is harder to tell where a problem may reside. If you find a blade that seems to work fine after 3 shaves, then make a note of it. If you end up buying a bunch of a particular brand, then you can see how far you can push the blade. Until then, I suggest limiting the shaves per blade, especially if you are a newbie. Blades are not all alike even when they are in the same package. For example, I always seem able to get 3 shaves from a Voskhod, but I can never plan on being able to get 4 shaves out of all Voskhods. A lot of them I can get 4 shaves out of, but it is not reliable. It is really easy to shave twice with a blade and decide that you don't like the brand just because you ran across a bad blade.

178-bplatoon and Chuck F like this.
  4. maliboy67

As I rotate through the blades I will try only 2 shaves with each and pay close attention to pressure.

Bama Samurai and markjnewcomb like this.
  5. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Your insights are correct! Just try to use very little pressure, at all times. Good luck. :)

SRNewb and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

When I was testing blades a member suggested using one for a week or so if they are not too terrible to get a true feel for the blade and then try a different brand for several days and if it wasn't better than the old brand throw it away and go back to old one. Then repeat this ever so often to find the blades that work best for you.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  7. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I used each blade for three shaves then picked my top three and took them for a second round. Also, it may just be me, but I notice tugging if I have the wrong angle.

SRNewb and markjnewcomb like this.
  8. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

A few months down the line for me and out of the couple of dozen blades I tested, I picked Astra SP. It would have been Gillette Silver Blue if they weren't twice the price of the Astras.
    I'm currently working through my blades again because my beard, and I suppose technique to some degree, has changed greatly. I had a thick, wiry beard and had to shave at least every other day on cartridges. I never looked cleanly shaven, and my beard hurt like hell when I touched it. It always grew much quicker on my chin too. I'd also never experienced a BBS shave until I started with DE.
    Now, I can still be BBS after 24 hours, my beard growth is completely uniform and is certainly not what I could call thick or even wiry anymore. All the sensitivity is gone.....and I find myself faceturbating regularly!
    The blades I used on my trials are now performing very differently because of my beard changes. So, if you want to, you could work through they again and if nothing else, you'll maybe use the odd blades that are taking up valuable den space.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  9. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Same exact experience.

10. maliboy67

So far I still get the best shave from Astra SP, blue Persona work well also but are not as smooth. I'm sure as time goes on and I try different razors I will find more than one " favorite" blade.

11. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

:happy088: Agree. Different blades perform differently depending on razor being used. For me Astra SP's give me good/great shave no matter the razor, Red Personnas are terrible for me in all of my razors same with Feathers except for my Superspeed. Trail and error, part of the fun and at times frustration.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have found that with a good prep and the right angle I can get a great shave with just about any blade. I do like the Astra SP, Shark SC, and Personnas though. I have others that work well including Dorca 301s. I recently tried Feathers, and I find them over rated I think. They are ok, but I get more bang for the buck from others.

SRNewb likes this.
  13. maliboy67

I do get a decent shave with any blade I have tried, I have noticed that some are just more comfortable then others with less effort. I could probably use any blade in a pinch. The road to finding the most comfortable has been enjoyable so far.