Blades: bulk pack lower quality than 5 pack? Astra or whatever.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bro Rasage, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Bro Rasage

Bro Rasage Member

Has anyone experienced blades being better quality when you buy 5 at a time than when you buy 100 at a time?

Back when I started with DE, I did the blade auditions, settled on Astras, bought 100 (twice) and carried on. Always thought I got a rougher shave with the bulk packs, but thought maybe I was imagining it. Recently thought I'd experiment with another brand and bought 5. Which brand isn't the point of the story - the thing is that the shave I got reminded of what my original Astras were like, and why shifting to DE was such a revelation.

Anyone experienced similar variation - in any brand, really? Are they sucking us in with great quality 5 packs then giving us worse quality when we buy in bulk? (And where's my tinfoil hat?)

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. henrickd

henrickd Member

I can’t speak specifically to Astras but can to a few of other brands. I think the only Astras I own came in a single big box of 100 without being packaged in tucks though. Just tightly stacked blades.

I really can’t tell the difference between 5-10 blade tucks and bulk. I have occasionally had a dud blade but it’s not very common. All my bulk purchases have just been a larger number of tucks so I’m guessing if I were to order a single tuck it would have just been pulled out of (or off of) a bulk package anyway.

Voskhods
    Feathers
    Several different Gillette brands over the years

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The more blades you buy, the more chance of coming across a dud I think. 5 blade tuck, most likely there won't be a dud. 100 blades, probably will be 2 or 3 duds. Having purchased thousands of Voskhod blades, I've never experienced this myself, but I haven't actually used thousands of them. Maybe 500 or so, so far. Having so many of them, every time I use them, I start with a new blade.

Ijustmissedthe50s, henrickd and brit like this.
  5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If we aren't talking duds,
    My theory is; when you start with a new unknown brand you might be being more attentive to your technique. By the time you get the blade in bulk, they're known and you might be more relaxed about your technique.

6. brit

brit in a box

all the blades i have bought so far have been in bulk,well over 3500 now, (including astra) have been packed in tucks of 5 inside a bigger box or card..ie gillette cards of 100.so far no issues.astra blades have had a revamp /repackage/new inking in the last couple of years.most of my stash may have been from older stock also, with exception to the newly available gillette platinum blades in the blue/white packaging.

7. Bro Rasage

Bro Rasage Member

Thanks all. Not talking duds, just general impressions.

It's probably other factors at work, but thought I'd ask the question!

henrickd likes this.