Blades for C.V. Heljestrand 7 Day Safety razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Randy26, May 31, 2022.

1. Randy26

Randy26 New Member

Hi everyone,

I recently obtain a C.V. Heljestrand. Vintage 7 Day Safety razor through a online auction. It was in with other vintage shaving gear I bought for $20.00. It needs a lot of TLC but mostly It needs a new blade. It has two blades, one has a chip the other is badly tarnished.

I seem to remember A post on this forum that talked about replacement blades that may work in the C.V. Heljestrand. It was an old post, maybe 2016 but not sure.

I searched the internet and found a blade for a WILKINSON 7 DAY SAFETY RAZOR. model "1920" Pall Mallonly, which the seller says will work in the Heljestrand. My blade measures 4cm by 2cm. I'm going to try to attach a picture of my old blade.

Any ideas?
    blade1.jpg

2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I just saw your post. I have a Heljestrand wedge razor and some Wilkinsons too. I will dig them out tomorrow, compare the blades, and get back to you with the results.

I know you can also use some of the wedge razors by using a Gem PTFE blade with a couple shims.

3. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I compared my Heljestrand blades to those from a couple Wilkinson models.

The Heljestrand is nearly the same width and depth as a modern Gem PTFE single-edge blade but is about three time the thickness at the spine. You could likely make a modern Gem blade work, using one of the aluminum blade spines as a shim on each side.

Wilkinson had two styles of wedge razors -- the 7-Day models and the later Empire models. They used different blades. The 7-Day models used blades about 4x2 cm like your Heljestrand (and modern Gem blades), but the spine is only about twice as thick as a modern Gem blade, or roughly 1/3 thinner than the Heljestrand. It fit in my Heljestrand razor, provided I lifted and dropped the side holder tab bar over it instead of trying to slide it under, but probably will work better with a shim under it.

The Empire models used blades about 4 x 1.5cm in size. No way, Jose -- unless you rigged some sort of .5cm wide adapter behind it to hold it firmly in place. (Three modern Gem blade backs stacked and glued together into a single unit would probably do it.)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  4. Randy26

Randy26 New Member

Thanks for all the good info, Screwtape. I was hoping that one of those WILKINSON blades would work, as they "look" like the originals. If I can't find one, it maybe possible to clean the tarnish from one of the ones that I have.

I found the post from 2017 that I mentioned earlier. The info you gave me and this post information is exactly the same, Screwtape. I don't know if it's proper to include the URL from a different forum but the post is relevant to this discussion so, here goes:

"https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...-edge-razors-guide.334348/page-4#post-9126249"

Thanks again

Screwtape likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If you are interested I have a whole 7 day set for a Heljestrand that have been resharpened. I thought I'd use them on a regular basis but never took to them and will sell them if you are interested. Pm me if you are and I'll get some pics taken and work out a sale price.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  6. Randy26

Randy26 New Member

Thanks BBS, Yes I'm interested. I'm not sure how to private message and right now I'm recovering from eye surgery, so that doesn't help. I had some updates to post, but that will have to wait too.

thanks
    Randy26

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'll send you a pm with pics of the blades later or tommorrow and we can go from there.

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

@Randy26 here are the blades. Sending pictures in private messages is not easy on this board. Will send a private text message to discuss seperately.

Attached Files: