Blades similar to Feather

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by lightcs1776, Jan 21, 2017.

1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have been using Volkhods, simply because I purchased 100 of them. However, I often find them tugging, even on the third shave. Feathers always seem to start off performing better and keeping that performance longer. Any recommendations for similar performing blades? I am thinking about getting a small, specific sample pack of sharp blades. Thank in advance.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  2. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

As a fan of Feather, the ones that get me closest are Gillette Silver Blue, Kai, and the Voskhods you already mentioned.

Linuxguile likes this.
  3. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Try some Crystal super platinum. Also Red Pack Personna's. Another one will be the new Brazillian Gillette Platinum Plus. I think these three are on par with the Feather. The Crystal, and the Personna Red are made in Isrial. I think. Good luck.

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

YMMV, but those are more like anti-Feathers to me. Forgiving, but not really sharp.

Personna "Reds" is an American term, by the way. In most of the world, they come in a white wrapper, and are sold as Personna Platinum Chrome blades. They are made in the Nazareth factory indeed.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ladas, Polsilver Super Iridiums, and Gillette Silver Blues are what come to mind as the closest to Feather.

They are not quite as sharp as Feather's, but tend to last longer.

I agree with @Eeyore about the Isreali made crystals and Personna Reds.

6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My opinion as well indeed. I personally would add Voshkods and Rapira Platinum Lux blades to that list.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I find Voskhod blades to be quite dull. I know this is not the generally held opinion, though. :)

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That is exactly why you cannot recommend blades to someone else really

I added them because they are really long lasting for me, BTW. Ten days or more is no exception.

Carbide Mike and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. lightcs1776

This is where I am at. They seem tug even when new or just a shave or two old. The Feathers don't have a problem, but they are twice the cost and I am notoriously thrifty.

Sent via mobile - Chris

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Astra SP for long lasting. Bic Chrome Platinum for sharpness.

11. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I just finished my first big sample pack of many different blades, so I'm no expert, but .... Out of the blades that I have tried, the Gillette Silver Blue was by far, the most similar to the feathers. Good blades, really sharp.

I just checked Ebay. GSB can be had for a little less than $15.00 per 100.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  12. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I did a fairly lengthy test of some 30 blades. As some folks have already mentioned: Polsilver Super Iridium are probably the closest (if not better) but they too are expensive $32 per 100. Astra SP and Ladas would be next. Both are Russian and go for around $12 per 100. Both are sharp and smooth. You might want to order a couple of each from Try A Blade before committing to a larger purchase.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  13. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Closest to Feathers, for me, anyway, are KAI. Voskhods are the smoothest by far, with Sputniks a close second. My 200 Polsilver SI blades just came it ($35 total, free shipping from Bulgaria to Texas)...these are also great blades, as are gold box Perma-Sharp.

14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting on my Polsilver SIs to arrive. I have 200 coming from one vendor and another 100 from a second vendor.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I like sharper blade as well. My top 5: GSB, Astra Sp, Rapira PL, Wilkinson Sword Classic, Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

lightcs1776 likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows. Sharp, smooth, and long lasting.

17. lightcs1776

Thanks for all the suggestions. I may try a few more blades, but hate buying the sample packs as they contain some that I absolutely don't like, and often don't have ones I want to try. I am hoping to settle in on a vendor and stick with them. I tried Treet this week and was surprised that they seem to work well, although it is after just one blade.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Linuxguile likes this.
  18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

If you want to pick and choose blades to try check out tryablade.com

lightcs1776 likes this.