Blades similar to rapira platinum lux

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Suhrim21, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I love the rapira platinum lux blades and I'm trying to find out which blades are similar to rapira platinum lux blades. These are the ones I've tried.

Nacets - love these

7 o'clock yellow - did one shave so far with these

Sharp star - ordered already.

2. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

Voskhod and Ladas are made in the same factory as Rapira. I really like Personna Lab blades as well and they’re made in USA.

3. Suhrim21

Vokhod blades I did not like.

I want to try ladas and person a lab blades.

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I do like Platinum Lux blades, but I think the Rapira Swedish Steel blades are a bit better, my opinion of course. There are others, but I just stuck to Rapira blades.

ghostlife likes this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

This may be silly, but if you like Rapira Platinum Luxe blades, why not just buy them instead of something similar to them?

6. Suhrim21

Because what if I find something similar but better. Maybe something just as sharp but smoother. Plus I like trying new things.

Terry likes this.
  7. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Feathers are the most similar in my opinion.

Before I begun supplementing with Mg my whiskers were so tough that only Feather and barely Rapira PL could cut. At that point I noticed the similarities.

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Then I would suggest you build yourself a sampler pack and buy a tuck each of 15-20 different blades. Use them and see what you like. Everyone has an opinion, but none of it matters if you don't like the blade. Also, if something doesn't work for you now, put the rest of the tuck away for a while and revisit it in the future. It is amazing what some time and improved technique do to a person's preferences.

brit and Terry like this.
  9. jimjo1031

:signs011:

brit and Terry like this.
  10. Suhrim21

Something like Astra sp is nowhere near sharp enough for me. And getting blade reccomendations of blades similar can help me build a sampler and save money.

Terry likes this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Like all blades, the Astra SP is plenty sharp. Honestly, there is very little difference between the vast majority of blades. It is more of a nuance feel thing than anything else. Good luck with your blade search and have fun.

ghostlife and brit like this.
  12. jimjo1031

Being the sharpest does not really matter as some of my favorites, while being less sharp than an Astra, will actually perform better than a Rapira Lux. That's where being smoother will make a blade perform better, at least for me. But if you want blades just based on being sharp, the following link will give you a list of some of the more popular blades and their sharpness.......... https://theshaveden.com/forums/thre...-other-useful-stuff.52584/page-3#post-1539472

brit likes this.
  13. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I answered you on another forum and recommended Gillette Platinum but I'll also add German Wilkinson Sword, BiC Chrome Platinum, Personna Comfort Coated (aka "Lab Blue"), maybe Crystals.

brit likes this.
  14. Suhrim21

I was looking on the bay yesterday. What does the German Wilkinson blades look like

15. Suhrim21

I also picked up 100 rapira blades on the bay yesterday for a good deal. I will have a bunch of sharp star and rapira blades.

16. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

my opinion is the Rapira platinum are similar to Astra, and Voskhod all top tier in my book not to mention affordable. also in same class are Personna Israeli reds, and Personna lab blue I find these a bit more comfortable and longer lasting. I also find that blade performance can be razor specific, and more so prep specific. At this point it is all about , like PanChango said, nuance, and personal preference. Keep testing it is part of the fun. I also feel that 1 tuck is too small a sample size to pass judgment. Haven't seen much hype on the sharp star, but understand its another Russian blade.
    KEEP CALM
    and
    TEST
    ON

17. jimjo1031

I agree about both Personna blades, they perform better for me.

18. Suhrim21

I need to try both of those personas.

19. jimjo1031

20. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

black tuck

Wilkinson-Sword-Classic-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades.jpg